Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2011, 08:14 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
leveling jacks and fluid level

Hi Everyone:

I previously posted about the leaking leveler jack (thank you to the help with that post) – and yes, that jack has now been replaced

Today’s question: I want to check if the fluid level is okay. I believe we have a dip stick (it has a red end – no label) right beside the oil dip stick (which has a yellow end – and labeled “oil”). And, if it is low, where do I add fluid?
It might help to know; we have a 2009 Suncruiser, 8.1 workhorse, and our jacks are by Power Gear

THANKS
regards, pdq

pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #2

You must be very new to the MH, check just like a car engine warm for oil with engine off and engine warm and running for tranny. As far as adding you need to know what kind of oil what put in at service.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq_bc View Post
Hi Everyone:

I previously posted about the leaking leveler jack (thank you to the help with that post) – and yes, that jack has now been replaced

Today’s question: I want to check if the fluid level is okay. I believe we have a dip stick (it has a red end – no label) right beside the oil dip stick (which has a yellow end – and labeled “oil”). And, if it is low, where do I add fluid?
It might help to know; we have a 2009 Suncruiser, 8.1 workhorse, and our jacks are by Power Gear

THANKS
regards, pdq
The dip stick next to the engine oil dip stick is likely for the Allison transmission. That's the way it is on our Workhorse chassis. On most hydraulic leveling systems, the fluid level is usually checked right at the reservoir, which is usually located right next to the pump. If you don't know where that is, you will have to listen for the sound of the pump while someone operates it from inside the coach. Some are under the steps, some are under the hood (that's where Winnebago used to put them), and some are under the coach somewhere (our HWH pump and reservoir are on the frame under the living room slide).

Power Gear has a lot of good info on their web site. They make several types of leveling systems, and they have links to help you identify which system you have. They also have operating and troubleshooting manuals that should give you information on how to check the fluid level and what kind of fluid to use.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq_bc View Post
Hi Everyone:

THANKS
regards, pdq
Just so you know, most systems should be checked with the jacks up. When the jacks are up the fluid is pumped back into the tank. If you check the level with the jacks down then you may overfill it. If will be a bit messy when you raise the jacks.

Happy New Year

Bob
2006 Honda in standby
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The red dipstick is for the transmission if I have the colors right.

The jacks .. that tank is elsewhere, it may or may not have a "Dipstick" attached to its cap, which is a black screw on cap. Alas the dip stick on mine was not marked at the factory as to the proper level.. I have since.. fixed that
Old 01-02-2012, 07:14 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
thanks everyone

from reading the manual, yes, i know where the reserve is located
before posting, i undid the nine screws holding the access panel - but could not see any dip stick
i did feel the two screws on the top
incredibily poor access!

the winnebago manual note about the dip stick... "if eqipped"
thus the question i posted

thanks
pdq
pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, power gear does not always put a dipstick on the cap.. THEY DO, however put a screw in the end of the tank near the top (The end opposite the pump) you remove this screw and with the jacks fully retractdd add fluid (Dextron III in my case, I will not say it's the same for you) till it comes out the hole.. Replace the screw.

NOW if like me you have a plain, unmaked dipstick on the cap put it back on (Do not screw it down) Pull it out and using a Dremel (tm) Type tool or vibrating engraving tool. etch a line ... Then wipe it clean (Remove all metal dust) put it back on and screw it down and remove it and scribe a 2nd line.. again wipe it clean and re-install screwing it down.. NOW you have a usable dip stick.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My Res. is under the drivers seat behind the house battery area, behind a panel, I spent a lot of time pouring tranny fluid all over everything, I was getting the pizza cutter from a drawer in the kitchen when I spotted the turkey baster, (shazam!!), one of those things with a rubber bulb and a long plastic tube.
DW was unhappy when she found out but darn thing works great to put the fluid in the little hole to top it off.
Happy New Year

Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid, jacks, leveling