Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2010, 10:31 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I'm with the majority on here. If I store or park for longer-term at any site I put a vapor barrier between the tires and the ground. If I'm moving and only staying a week at a site I don't bother. Tires are made to be worked out so that the oils can distribute...they last longer when used.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #16
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jim;

My coach is stored in our garage for the winter. I always back the tires onto old plastic carpet runners. I then take some of the weight off the wheels with the jacks but I do not lift the wheels off the ground. You will likely get many different answers on this.

Don

Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:03 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
HWH told me to store with the jacks down to take the bulge out of the tires. Load off the tires I guess.
I guess there are more different answers than there are questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
Jim;
My coach is stored in our garage for the winter. I always back the tires onto old plastic carpet runners. I then take some of the weight off the wheels with the jacks but I do not lift the wheels off the ground. You will likely get many different answers on this.
Don
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:06 AM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Tires that sit on asphalt can suck up some of the ingredients and they can be detrimental to the longevity of the tire(s). Cement does not exhibit the same properties.
Correct, cement does not exhibit the same qualities as asphalt, actually it is just the opposite. Dry concrete will act like a sponge and suck out the protective oils from tires. Example; spill a clean cup of oil on a cement pad and immediately wipe it up. No matter how hard you try to clean it up, some of the oil will already have soaked into the concrete. A plastic vapor barrier will help prevent this sponge action.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ours is stored next to the house on a rock bed I put down. I level the coach with jack pads under the jacks to keep the jacks from digging in. I do not lift all the weight off the tires. Once a month I take the coach out and run it for about 20 miles. During the run I operate the genny and both A/C units whether in a/c or heat mode. In addition, while it is sitting next to the house, once a week I run the genny and both A/C units appropriately. This is only a few of the tings I do for maintenance.
TJ (Teacup Poodle 2.7 lbs)
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:40 PM   #20

On two occasions while in an Allison transmission shop in Memphis and while in a Cummins shop in San Antonio, they raised our motorhome up on one side with the jacks, tires off the ground, for access underneath. I was surprised to see this but I figured they knew what they were doing. These were large dealer type shops and were authorized warranty stations for Allison and Cummins.

Should they have done this?

Don
Old 12-19-2010, 01:06 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
On two occasions while in an Allison transmission shop in Memphis and while in a Cummins shop in San Antonio, they raised our motorhome up on one side with the jacks, tires off the ground, for access underneath. I was surprised to see this but I figured they knew what they were doing. These were large dealer type shops and were authorized warranty stations for Allison and Cummins.

Should they have done this?

Don
I've been told by HWH that there is no problem.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not a problem as long as YOU are not the one under there. I have only used the jacks once for working under the coach and let me tell you that it is an erie feeling. Next time, if any, I will have proper jack stands and the like or else take it to a repair shop.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:33 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchStar38 View Post
Not a problem as long as YOU are not the one under there. I have only used the jacks once for working under the coach and let me tell you that it is an erie feeling. Next time, if any, I will have proper jack stands and the like or else take it to a repair shop.
Good idea.
Scary how far they can come down with the air dumped, jacks up. Seems like a lot of people crawl under there without jack stands or blocks but not a good idea. I'm thinking blocks would be more versatile than jack stands.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:52 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your right about how far it drops. When I dump the air next to the house it folds all four of my mud flaps. Imagine if I was under there and an air line broke. I would look like a panini. I think the blocks are a better idea at home too. Think I'll look for some.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:24 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchStar38 View Post
Your right about how far it drops. When I dump the air next to the house it folds all four of my mud flaps. Imagine if I was under there and an air line broke. I would look like a panini. I think the blocks are a better idea at home too. Think I'll look for some.
I'm thinking blocks located under the jacks (up) would be a good location. As close to the jacks as possible. Any other preferred or better blocking points?
Old 12-20-2010, 10:27 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
...Michelin recommends placing a barrier (cardboard, plastic or plywood) between the tire and the storage surface." I have read precautions several times against long-term parking on concrete or asphalt surfaces due to moisture leaching one way or the other, and the protective oils in the rubber leaching out into the concrete...
I bought two heavy rubber mats as shown in the photo and cut one section out of each of the mats which were just wide enough for the front tires, and used the remaining section of the mat for the rear dual tires (each mat had three sections).

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...9&d=1287874639

I carry some of the mats so I can also use them for step mats during wet or muddy weather, or to kneel on when working around the MH.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Whether a campground has dirt, asphalt, concrete or whatever pads has nothing to do with what is good or bad for our tires. They choose what is best for THEM based on customer expectation level, expense, and durability. A properly constructed concrete pad holds up much better to heavy vehicles and leveling jacks than asphalt does.

I ALWAYS use vapor barriers when we are parked on concrete for longer than 1 or 2 nights, and most of the time when on asphalt. And when we were storing before fulltiming, I rejected possible storage sites that had lasting standing water after heavy rains.
Well, ok a vapor barrrier is what? a piece of plastic?
Old 12-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Well, ok a vapor barrrier is what? a piece of plastic?
I use thin sheets of plastic designed for that purpose (from rangerdesign.com). Any kind of plastic, wood, rubber, and several other materials would work to varying degrees too.