Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2008, 06:49 PM   #1

My MH has an orange color light underneath the step which obviously should benefit the safety of entering and exiting the coach at night.

However, I cannot seem to get the light to turn on. Bulb appears to be OK (put a new one in) and the wiring seems to be solid with no pinching or chaffed wires. I do not see a light sensor under the step. What am I missing?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2008, 06:49 PM   #2

My MH has an orange color light underneath the step which obviously should benefit the safety of entering and exiting the coach at night.

However, I cannot seem to get the light to turn on. Bulb appears to be OK (put a new one in) and the wiring seems to be solid with no pinching or chaffed wires. I do not see a light sensor under the step. What am I missing?

Old 02-12-2008, 07:05 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Our's does come on in rare circumstances, but I can't recall off hand what those circumstances are. It is NOT when I most want it to come on!! I wonder if it could be re-wired to come on with the "porch" light?? That would make sense to me!
Old 02-13-2008, 01:27 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Naval Aviator:

However, I cannot seem to get the light to turn on. Bulb appears to be OK (put a new one in) and the wiring seems to be solid with no pinching or chaffed wires. I do not see a light sensor under the step. What am I missing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The light usually comes on only when the step is in the automatic mode and extended. If you have the step switch set so that the step stays extended/opened the light does not work.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:02 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ours comes on when the step is extended, but only when the porch light is on.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:14 AM   #6
paz

The light on our steps (Kwickee) works as Neil describes - it is only on when the steps are in the "on" position to automatically retract when the door is closed. Where is is located, it does not provide much light on the steps. I think it is there more as an indicator that the steps are in the automatic mode. When our steps are "off" to stay extended all the time, the light is off no matter what the porch light is doing.

What Bob describes would make more sense, especially if the light were in a better location. Maybe it depends on how the coach manufacturer does the wiring.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:34 AM   #7

I have the Kwikee steps and the light comes on only when the door is opened. The steps are always extended as we are boondocking now.

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:57 AM   #8

This is why I am going to mount another 12V light under the steps and have it to work with a wireless remote control, or a FOB. I have the FOB and light, just waiting for this weather to break.

07 Allegro Bay 37 DB
Mud Flaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:54 AM   #9

Our light comes on no mater if the steps are out or in, it works when we turn on the light over the door
N9UOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:36 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ours works the same as Bob's. However, since our porch light and grab bar handle light both attract bugs, we don't leave them on & end up with dark steps.

We chose to install the RV SureSteps. Aside from a glitch with them in the beginning that resolved itself, they've worked well for us & I like the soft blue light produced.

L-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:09 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
My light only worked when the switch was in the on position and steps were extended. Didn't make sense to me as I virtually never have the switch in the on position especially at night. With the engine running it is over ridden anyway.

I had Newmar wire it so it worked w/the patio light which also powers the inside step light and grab bar. That way underneath the steps was lit at night while camping.

Once you find the righ wire it is simple to do. In fact, I replaced my steps myself and was successful at replicating the wiring change.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:16 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
From my quikee step manual for Winnebagos:
l The light is 'on' when the step is extended.
l The light is 'off' when the step is retracted.
l If the step lockout switch is 'on' and the step is extended by opening the door
and the door is left open, the light will turn 'off' after five minutes.
l If the step lockout switch is 'off' and the door is open, the light stays on
continuosly.

Since they tied the steps into the chassis battery for power I have taken the bulb out. The Manual also has directions to tie the steps in with the patio light and I might do that sometime, if I can catch up on all the other projects and to-do's I would be tempted to use a small string of led rope lighting instead of using the kwikee bulb.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:00 AM   #13

If you are going to do LED lighting you might want to try these. They come in 12", 24", and 48" lengths and different colors. I just received a 12" white one and as soon as i can i'm going to mount it under my steps.
LED strip lights