Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lippert Leveling Jacks. Pump Smoking

While waiting to register at the camp ground this weekend I started to get an alarm from my Leveling Jack Control Panel. It beep, maybe 5 times in a row paused and started again, it also indicated that the Jacks were down. They weren't. The beeping stopped.
When we arrived at the site I went to deploy the Jacks, turning systmem on and was greeted by a Jack down warning light. I disconnected the wireing harness from the LJCP and reconnected it, in an effort to reset the system. It seemed to work. I reapplied power to the system and nothing happened. Suddenly I hear my wife yelling that there was smoke comming from one of the compartments, I rushed around to find that the Pump motor was smoking, not heavely but any is to much. The motor was extreamly hot and appeard damp from oil, a condition I had not noticed before.
I have disconnected the power wire to the pump.
I have attached pictures, saddly I don't have Power Point on this computer is I can't draw arrows and such to help explaine the pics, so I'll do the best I can.
The first picture is just the LJCP. No biggie.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ControlPad.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	445.8 KB
ID:	21837
This second pic is of the offending unit. The big bolt in the forground on the right side of the pump is where the smoke was comming from.
The oil level appears good. I pulled off the black rubber cap at the end of the pump and was able to manually turn the pump.

Name:	Pump.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	471.8 KB
ID:	21838
Any thoughts?

IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #2

Any signs of leaking by a hose that might be dripping on a hot motor?
Mine blew a hose completely off while driving and I noticed the other orange one is about to burst.

Is your pump exposed to the elements under your coach? I only ask because mine was mounted behind the front grill. I worry that road spray could cause electrical problems...

Old 06-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tv Boy View Post
Any signs of leaking by a hose that might be dripping on a hot motor?
Mine blew a hose completely off while driving and I noticed the other orange one is about to burst.

Is your pump exposed to the elements under your coach? I only ask because mine was mounted behind the front grill. I worry that road spray could cause electrical problems...
Thanks for your response,
No signs of leaking hoses. All the hoses and wires are attached and tight. The pump is in the open bay with the generator. I had a guy look at it over the weekend. Turned the system on and gave it another try. He said you could see the pump motor wanting to turn, but for some reason not able to and gain the wires and pump motor houseing were getting hot. We shut it down and disconnected the power again. He figures it's just the electric motor, he indicated the electric motor is the weak link in the system.
I don't know what the warrenty period for this system is, I'll call Lippert tomorrow.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is, of course, out of Warranty and as it turns out quite expensive to replace.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cool Stopped Smoking

Checked it out again tonight. Hooked the power back up and gave it another go, still nothing but no Smoke either and no high temps. The only thing I'm still getting is a "Jacks Down" indication and the LCI logo in the center of the control pad flashes. Can't seem to reset that. While the Jacks Down is lit I'm assuming that nothing else will be allowed to happen. I checked the manuals and possible casuses are Low Fluid (not) or the retraction switch is shot. I'm leaning in this direction. Also as soon as I released the Parking Break, with the leveling system Off, The Control Pad went off like a Las Vegas slot machine. This is the alarm mode, if I read the manual right the root cause of this would be that it's thinking that the jacks are not retracted. I'll call Lippert again tomorrow, their web site proudly displays 24/7 tech support. Fact is their only answering phones between 8 and 4. They must be on a metric 24/7, lol.

If anyone wants to jump in on this I'd be greatful. I've not seen a thread where only one person has jumped in to the fray.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Houston we have a problem

This picture is what the pump head, I don't know what it's really called, looks like with the Electric motor removed. The motor is indeed fried, I confirmed this by applying 12V directly to the terminals and nothing happened.
It would appear that Hydrolic oil has by passed a seal and gotten into the motor, so it's not only fried it's deep fried.
I've taken the motor to a windings shop in the faint hope that it can be rebuilt, it's chinese crap so thats unlikly. I went this route becuse I'm hopeing that rebuilding will be cheaper than the $732 Lippert wants for a new one, it would be close on $1000 by the time it got to my door.
If that doesn't work I will try Princess Auto and replace the whole Power Pack for about $270.

Name:	MotorRemoved.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	442.3 KB
ID:	21938
Old 06-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
See this thread for replacing the pump seal. My motor started working again after cleaning the oil out with electrical contact cleaner and replacing the seal.

Lippert Seal Replacement
Old 06-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you 38 Special, great link to a great post. It will come in handy.

Stewart
Old 06-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
IMDSailor did you get a recall from Navastar Monaco about the Lippert "shaft" seal? I did and had their latest and greatest new "shaft" installed on their dime. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:50 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hmmm, no I didn't. But then I'm the second owner. I have sent in the warrenty card, just recently. I have to call them back and find out about that. I wonder if I qualify. In my (many) recent calls to them they never mentioned it. Might be time to start holding some feet to the fire. When was the recall?
Old 06-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
IMDSailor did you get a recall from Navastar Monaco about the Lippert "shaft" seal? I did and had their latest and greatest new "shaft" installed on their dime. deSanford
Happy Days!
I called Lippert this morning and yes indeed I do qualify for the recall. The New Motor and coupler is on it's way.

deSanford, THANK YOU so much for the heads up on this.

I Love Love Love this site!
Old 06-06-2012, 07:48 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Awesome stuff!
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Post Script

Contacted the windings shop to get the motor back, so I can send it back to Lippert when the new one arrives.
The fella told me it was ruined beyond repair.
Really dodged a bullet on this one.

Tags
jacks, leveling