Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2016, 10:44 PM   #29

[QUOTE=Kahoona;2948696]Hi
Just finished my report on the completed roof project. It took the better part of an hour. I had been logged in and had the keep me logged in box checked. When I clicked Post Reply I got a message that I needed to click refresh then log in. That wiped out the post. Oh well.

I completed the roof in the dark and it caused a couple of minor problems but overall all went well. My helper couldn't stay for the entire job. Took longer. Overall though I now have waterproof roof that won't need caulking.
I masked the edges ahead of time. I pulled the tape the next morning. Any later and the roof would have made it difficult to remove the tape. If your roof is applied in the sun you might pull the tape in four or five hours even. UV makes it cure faster. I also applied roofing around the sides and around the vents first. I ran it right up the vent box sides.
The roof is best poured on using a 1 1/2 gal bucket with a gallon of liquid in it. I determine how large an area a gallon will cover. Mark it with sharpie and then pour. It is very thick and it is easy to pour out thin lines of it to cut down on moving material around later. I pour it all on. The squeegee moves material around and the short map roller smooths the surface. When applying the main roof area it was necessary to roller the material onto the curve of the edge to meet the part where I had already brushed it on. What worked best was to use the long handled squeegee to move some close to the edge then use the roller to cover the curve. I had to be careful not to leave too much liquid at the top so it would not run down. After dark that became harder and I got some runs but nothing visible at more that 20 feet or 60mph. Where the roof ran onto the RV itself I waited until the next morning, lightly scraped with a paint scraper and wiped with Acetone.

Kahoona: I'm looking at the picture and looks like you tape your gutters shut. Or do you have side gutters on your RV?

1996 34'J Fleetwood Bounder, Chevy 454 TBI P-32, Bank PowerPack, Ultra Power Chip, BellCranks, Rear Trac Bar, Silver Safe-T-Plus and 04 CR-V Toad, Roadmaster Base Plate and All Terain Tow Bar, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO.
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2016, 10:48 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
Looks good - a lot better than when you started. Soon you can take a break for 10 more years :>)

And thanks for that 1 1/2 gal pail suggestion.
That 1 1/2 gallon suggestion was from someone on the previous page. It definitely helped me.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:50 AM   #31

[QUOTE=leesdx1;2949110]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
Hi
Just finished my report on the completed roof project. It took the better part of an hour. I had been logged in and had the keep me logged in box checked. When I clicked Post Reply I got a message that I needed to click refresh then log in. That wiped out the post. Oh well.

I completed the roof in the dark and it caused a couple of minor problems but overall all went well. My helper couldn't stay for the entire job. Took longer. Overall though I now have waterproof roof that won't need caulking.
I masked the edges ahead of time. I pulled the tape the next morning. Any later and the roof would have made it difficult to remove the tape. If your roof is applied in the sun you might pull the tape in four or five hours even. UV makes it cure faster. I also applied roofing around the sides and around the vents first. I ran it right up the vent box sides.
The roof is best poured on using a 1 1/2 gal bucket with a gallon of liquid in it. I determine how large an area a gallon will cover. Mark it with sharpie and then pour. It is very thick and it is easy to pour out thin lines of it to cut down on moving material around later. I pour it all on. The squeegee moves material around and the short map roller smooths the surface. When applying the main roof area it was necessary to roller the material onto the curve of the edge to meet the part where I had already brushed it on. What worked best was to use the long handled squeegee to move some close to the edge then use the roller to cover the curve. I had to be careful not to leave too much liquid at the top so it would not run down. After dark that became harder and I got some runs but nothing visible at more that 20 feet or 60mph. Where the roof ran onto the RV itself I waited until the next morning, lightly scraped with a paint scraper and wiped with Acetone.

Kahoona: I'm looking at the picture and looks like you tape your gutters shut. Or do you have side gutters on your RV?
No. They are just rubber trim of some sort that covered the place where the original rubber stopped.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:15 AM   #32

Finished roof. Because I had to finish it in the dark there were a number of spot that were not thick enough. I just could not see well enough. I ordered up another gallon as fast as I could get it so that there would still be some solvent bond (I hope) and went over the entire roof again touching up bits I didn't like and adding to the thin spots near the end. Now I am happy with it. Not entirely pretty but it is sealed, solid and heat reflective once again. In the pic you van see the UV damaged vent fan cover that I am trying to repair. I'll finish that once the roof is fully cured.
Thanks tor all of the suggestions.

Tags
advice, eternabond