Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2018, 09:12 AM   #1

Live in California, buy new class C in AZ

Not looking to avoid paying taxes, just trying to figure out the process. I've searched and have found old posts about similar situations, but haven't found many up-to-date posts. I have an idea how it should work, but am looking insight from someone that has actually done this in the past year or 2, specifically with CA and AZ.

I've found a new class C from a dealer in AZ, I live in CA. What will AZ want, and what would I expect when I walk into the DMV in CA (besides a 5 hour wait).

I'm thinking of paying cash, so another question would be, how do I get the title?

Thanks.
fafafooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2018, 09:33 AM   #2

Bank where dealer does his flooring will more then likely be holding the title...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:52 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I can't help with the question.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafafooey View Post
Not looking to avoid paying taxes, just trying to figure out the process. I've searched and have found old posts about similar situations, but haven't found many up-to-date posts. I have an idea how it should work, but am looking insight from someone that has actually done this in the past year or 2, specifically with CA and AZ.

I've found a new class C from a dealer in AZ, I live in CA. What will AZ want, and what would I expect when I walk into the DMV in CA (besides a 5 hour wait).

I'm thinking of paying cash, so another question would be, how do I get the title?

Thanks.

When you apply for title/registration in California, any sales tax you paid to Arizona will be credited toward the Use Tax imposed by California. If the sales tax rate was lower in Az., you will pay the difference to Ca.

See Section 7 of the application form in this link: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...df?MOD=AJPERES
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:24 AM   #5

Nice find, I should have looked at that form before posting!!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2018, 10:27 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
. No

Sent from my Vivo XL2 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
jporietis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:34 AM   #7

Another thing you will want to consider, if it’s gas, make sure it’s a 50 state emissions compliant vehicle. If not, that will be a hefty bill to get it registered in California.
Diesel_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Don View Post
Another thing you will want to consider, if it’s gas, make sure it’s a 50 state emissions compliant vehicle. If not, that will be a hefty bill to get it registered in California.
Hey Don,
I'd bet both mine and your house (if you still have one) that any and all Gas coaches are all 50 state compliant and have been for years. This as well as any and all regular cars, trucks etc. The "49" state, and for a short while, there were some "45" state cars/trucks too. But, with the advent of CA sort of leading the way here in smog regs, the auto manufacturers (including chassis manufacturers for Gas coaches) have just decided to incorporate any and all smog systems and functions that CA's been using for quite some time.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:18 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to Dsrtrider
Ca az delivery

I have done this before . When you buy the coach in Az. you tell them you will pay your sales tax in Ca. They will have a driver drive your coach to Ca border and will meet you at a notary where you will sign your papers and they will be notarized that you are doing out of state purchase. They will give you an Az temp tag and you will get your Az title in mail in a few weeks. You then take coach to CA DMV for inspection and pay your taxes and license fees. The dealer usually charges abt $300 for the out of state delivery fee.
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:14 PM   #10

Welcome to the forum!

I have no clue but there was a multiple page thread about this about 2 weeks ago.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:34 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
X2 on NOT signing in AZ as it’s almost impossible to get AZ give up the money. New vehicle will not have a title, only a bill of origin. I recently bought a DP in AZ and did the paperwork in NM at a bank.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Don View Post
I work for a dealer in AZ and the 49 state thing is not an issue. We routinely move motorhomes between our dealers in AZ, CA, and NM.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:02 PM   #13

Not that clear on the comment about AZ will never give up the $$.. If I buy in AZ and register it CA, the CA registration form asks how much tax I paid in AZ and to deduct it to what I owe.

Also regarding having the dealer deliver the vehicle to the AZ/CA border and sign papers in CA, again I'm confused to why if you can just pay the tax in AZ and just list it as part of the registration when you file the paperwork in CA and deduct that from what you owe to CA.

Not that concerned about 50 state CA & CARB requirement for emissions, they all meet that now days for GAS engines.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:00 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Section 7 says. ‘sales tax” paid in another state. The money paid to AZ is not classed as a “sales tax” and cannot be entered in section 7. Not much profit in delivering a RV the 300 miles to NM for $300.

Go ahead and pay AZ (against the AZ dealer’s advice) and let us know how it works out. Sometimes free advice is worth more than what you paid for it.

PS: I’ve taken delivery out of AZ twice...17 years ago and several months ago.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, class c