Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2016, 12:04 PM   #15

""How complicated is it to get water, sewer, electric and concrete pad for the Motorhome put in??? Is it worth the work?? Is it worth it to have your own plot of land?? Or is it more hassle than it is worth???""

Assuming you find a plot of land where the authorities allow living in an RV on the land, its not all that complicated. I'm also assuming there is reasonable road access to the land, which is not a given for some of the remote areas I've looked into. Once you own the land, you apply for a well permit and a septic permit, or you hire a contractor and let them deal with the permits. Then you hire a contractor to install your concrete pad, or do it yourself and just order the ready mix. For electric you deal with the local power company.
Whether its worth it or not is a personal opinion. To me it was well worth it, but many think owning land or any property "ties them down". I never had that problem, whether it was when I owned 3 houses or now 3 RV homebases, I never had a problem turning the utilities off, locking the door and not returning for 6, 9, 12 months. Some folks are focused on "getting their moneys worth" out of it. I never looked at it as a financial investment, more like an investment into living my life the way that makes me happy. Just like investing in a full solar sys on top your RV never pays off in savings, but it pays off in a better RV lifestyle experience. to each his/her own

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2016, 04:38 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I guess that the bottom line is the OP can have whatever he is willing to pay for.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:42 PM   #17

FWIW I wonder what the laws are about having an RV parked on a property where the house was run down as long as the taxes were paid. I could spend years getting it updated while visiting it every year. I would assume that if the house was there the utilities would be.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:22 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW I wonder what the laws are about having an RV parked on a property where the house was run down as long as the taxes were paid. I could spend years getting it updated while visiting it every year. I would assume that if the house was there the utilities would be.
You can do that here. Enforcement is loose unless you live in a community like Mountain Falls. I've seen a truck camper hooked to a single-wide (not that there is anything wrong with that) as a room addition in town.

If one were to buy and develop a place to park a motorhome on a lot next to someone planning to build a home on, or sell as an investment lot, they might still have uppity neighbor issues.

Boon docking might be the answer. Peace
Old 02-19-2016, 10:03 PM   #19

Living On A Private Lot In Pahrump -Pros and Cons??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
I have decided living in an RV park is just not for me. More than not it gets over crowded and very stressful late for me late in the snowbird season because any breathing room or elbow space is quite literally gone. And when it gets crowded people start acting out like angry passengers on a commercial airline flight. At my age??No thanks.

Our experience in RV parks has not had any issues with space or attitudes. All is well and happy!
I don't know how wide my space is here, but it's about average for us, the next rig is about 35 feet away. And it has been this way all over the US, because we choose parks carefully.
Everyone is different. We are wanderers, vagabonds and adventurers. Staying in one or several places repeatedly would steal the magic and make life dull. Not everyone is like us, and that is just fine!
We pour our money into new experiences, places, people, and freedom.
Happy Trails

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:35 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
You are in a Nice spacious park. Pool, bar and restaurant on the property. Car wash next door & short walk to post office.

I would likely enjoy it there if I was snow birding.

Cimplex, see if you can get one the extreme NW spaces. Try to shrug off what you think your neighbors are thinking. You paid your rent.

Are you just posting & then eating popcorn while the rest of us share opinions?
Old 02-25-2016, 05:18 PM   #21

Remember guys I am in Nevada? One of the most RV friendly states in the nation. Dry campers can camp on any piece of BLM land they want. There are no time limits and how long a boondocker can stay. In fact just north of the park here we have hundreds of dry campers out in the open desert, some of them have been in the same spot for years. Because we just don't have the time limits on how long you can dry n any given spot other states do. Such laws are non existent in Nevada. So there is a homeless problem here too. So it's just a matter of finding a piece of land the BLM will give up for the right price close to utility lines and on high ground in a nice part of town. I say high because during the summer monsoon season Pahrump's spectacular thunderstorms turn this entire desert into a massive flood plain. ☁️⚡️So don't build your house in the sand or it might not be there when you come back during next snowbird season!!! 😱 So here in Pahrump there's a little more to finding a good plot than a piece of land that just looks nice.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:51 AM   #22

'funny' story:

several years ago, while living comfortably, and uppity, in our custom built home on two acres in a relatively quiet neighborhood, we noticed that a fifth wheel rv was suddenly parked across the street on the back end of a vacant lot. Strange, but we assumed maybe the out-of-town owner was using it for a short vacation. No electric, no water, no sewer on the acreage.
In a day or two, to our amazement, we saw a city vehicle near the street looking as though they were doing some work - maybe just a coincidence.
The next day the electrical truck not only drove up into the property near the rv, but installed an electric pole!

They now had our ATTENTION: this was not right for this neighborhood of stick built single-family homes! and certainly was not assumed to be zoned for anything with the likes of a trailer or rv!
While we in the neighborhood gathered secretly to take our notice to the city, we noticed a NEW aggravation - a school bus had started stopping at the rv 'driveway'! This as not going to fly here!

Well, as the story goes, the property, tho basically in our same neighborhood, was zoned such as to allow basically any single family 'home' and did not specifically exclude a 'rv'. We protested, but failed to sway the council.

Oh well, guess we'll have to just live with it, deal with the sight of it, and the potential loss of property value. Remember, we were a quality, quiet, 'uppity' neighborhood. : )

3 months later, and suddenly one day, the rv was gone. Never to be seen again. I noticed, though, the water spigot and 50a rv hookup was there. They even left their 'Dish' antenna, on a pole, that still sits there today. The land is now for sale.

...the 'rest of the story'?
I write this as a full time 'rv' family, as of 18 months, traveling and rv parking many, many times. Our custom built home in our old 'uppity' nice quiet neighborhood sold.
Now - the vacated 'rv' lot for sale across the street looks VERY enticing - thinking about making an offer on a 'rv' ready lot...

Hope the neighbors are not too uppity!!

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:07 AM   #23

Cimplex, you cannot park on BLM land as long as you want. Peolpe might be getting away with it but the longest you can stay is 14days and then you have to move. Also if you think your going to purchase land from them i suggest you do some research as its not quite so easy. There are plenty of privately owned lots in Pahrump that you can buy and do what you want to do. Also look over in Amargosa if you want solitude.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:33 PM   #24

That's great, Mr. T. I say go for it! Besides you drive a Thor "Palace" on wheels, it will class up any neighborhood.

I just moved to a new home in a gated community with a rv garage. The garage door had to have some work done on the inside, so I had to move my moho out of the garage. It sat in my back driveway from 10:00 pm until 6:00 pm the next day. We got a complaint from the HOA a couple weeks later because they could see my motorhome during that time. So I am in violation if I park a $600,000 motorhome (not mine of course) in my back yard driveway for a few hours. But I can park a old rusted, dirty passenger sedan right in plain sight in my front driveway for months on end with no violation. Why is there such a hate of rv's by some people?

Sorry, I did veer a little off topic.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:40 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
'funny' story:

several years ago, while living comfortably, and uppity, in our custom built home on two acres in a relatively quiet neighborhood, we noticed that a fifth wheel rv was suddenly parked across the street on the back end of a vacant lot. Strange, but we assumed maybe the out-of-town owner was using it for a short vacation. No electric, no water, no sewer on the acreage.
In a day or two, to our amazement, we saw a city vehicle near the street looking as though they were doing some work - maybe just a coincidence.
The next day the electrical truck not only drove up into the property near the rv, but installed an electric pole!

They now had our ATTENTION: this was not right for this neighborhood of stick built single-family homes! and certainly was not assumed to be zoned for anything with the likes of a trailer or rv!
While we in the neighborhood gathered secretly to take our notice to the city, we noticed a NEW aggravation - a school bus had started stopping at the rv 'driveway'! This as not going to fly here!

Well, as the story goes, the property, tho basically in our same neighborhood, was zoned such as to allow basically any single family 'home' and did not specifically exclude a 'rv'. We protested, but failed to sway the council.

Oh well, guess we'll have to just live with it, deal with the sight of it, and the potential loss of property value. Remember, we were a quality, quiet, 'uppity' neighborhood. : )

3 months later, and suddenly one day, the rv was gone. Never to be seen again. I noticed, though, the water spigot and 50a rv hookup was there. They even left their 'Dish' antenna, on a pole, that still sits there today. The land is now for sale.

...the 'rest of the story'?
I write this as a full time 'rv' family, as of 18 months, traveling and rv parking many, many times. Our custom built home in our old 'uppity' nice quiet neighborhood sold.
Now - the vacated 'rv' lot for sale across the street looks VERY enticing - thinking about making an offer on a 'rv' ready lot...

Hope the neighbors are not too uppity!!

Interesting story. Welcome to the club. I have always been partial to RViers. RViers just have a special place in my heart. A sense of freedom regular folks just can't appreciate. I am always partial to cities like Pahrump, Nevada that extremely RV friendly. If a city isn't RV friendly it's not some place I ever care to visit. I work long hard to make more city around the country RV accommodating. RViers are adventurers, people with education and style, people who like a more technologically modern way of living. In Star Wars, Star Trek and other sci fi movie do you see many people living in fixed building?? I think the answer is no. Rving is the wave of the future and fixed building are becoming a thing of the past. The multi billion dollar RV industry is growing stronger everyday. Only it's the people in society that need to get over the idea that all RViers are trailer trash because their not. RViers make up some of the most high class people on earth. So doesn't matter if people like it or not. Society will have to adjust to this new way of life. Because RVing is and will take America by storm.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
That's great, Mr. T. I say go for it! Besides you drive a Thor "Palace" on wheels, it will class up any neighborhood.

I just moved to a new home in a gated community with a rv garage. The garage door had to have some work done on the inside, so I had to move my moho out of the garage. It sat in my back driveway from 10:00 pm until 6:00 pm the next day. We got a complaint from the HOA a couple weeks later because they could see my motorhome during that time. So I am in violation if I park a $600,000 motorhome (not mine of course) in my back yard driveway for a few hours. But I can park a old rusted, dirty passenger sedan right in plain sight in my front driveway for months on end with no violation. Why is there such a hate of rv's by some people?

Sorry, I did veer a little off topic.

I know. Some people ruin the fun for everybody else. I have always been bugged by people who complain at just the site of an a RV. I suggest you might put it in an RV park until the garage door is fixed.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Cimplex, you cannot park on BLM land as long as you want. Peolpe might be getting away with it but the longest you can stay is 14days and then you have to move. Also if you think your going to purchase land from them i suggest you do some research as its not quite so easy. There are plenty of privately owned lots in Pahrump that you can buy and do what you want to do. Also look over in Amargosa if you want solitude.

Maybe on BLM land, but on state land there are no laws in Nevada on how long a dry camper can remain on state public lands especially in Pahrump If you do not believe you can call the Nevada park and rec and they'll tell you the same thing. Season long dry camping, that is what Pahrump is known for. We have thousands of RViers who boondock here every winter. Anycase we are getting off topic so please try to stick to the topic. Thank you
Old 02-29-2016, 07:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Look on Zillow and put the price at 50k or less and start asking questions. Sam60, just my observations. I have bought and sold in Nv many times and am always looking. Example is i bought a 3bd 1bath 2car house in Hawthorne for 26k. You just have to look.

Yes I know several people who purchased good land for cheap here. Because they know the magic word. "Bargain shopping" A lot of people in America have forgotten the great significance of the word.