Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2015, 06:17 PM   #15

And as I said as well the RV was winterized.I have a 2015 I am not going to take a chances I did use anti-freeze straight out of the jug. The system I have sucks it right out of the jug and through the lines. open every faucet and let it run out there you have it in all lines. Now as far as the freshwater tank like I said I add anti-freeze to that as well for flushing the toilet I repeat the unit has anti-freeze out of the bottle through all lines. The unit is not stored I full-time. The water tank is located under my bed and is heated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2015, 06:31 PM   #16

FWIW Check for a private airport, Agricultural equipment dealer, or a big truck shop. Any will have a big heated garage.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by on2thenext View Post
And as I said as well the RV was winterized.I have a 2015 I am not going to take a chances I did use anti-freeze straight out of the jug. The system I have sucks it right out of the jug and through the lines. open every faucet and let it run out there you have it in all lines. Now as far as the freshwater tank like I said I add anti-freeze to that as well for flushing the toilet I repeat the unit has anti-freeze out of the bottle through all lines. The unit is not stored I full-time. The water tank is located under my bed and is heated.

If the unit is filled with nothing but straight anti-freeze then it did not freeze up, not unless that is, the temps were WELL below zero.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:20 PM   #18

Quote:

Strange, in the other thread you say;

Quote:
Also every time I add water to the fresh tank I also add more anti-freeze

So which is it? Are you running straight anti-freeze, or a blend of anti-freeze & water?
Old 01-09-2015, 08:09 PM   #19

Listen to Mr D.
RV anti-freeze must not be diluted.
If you wish to use your RV and keep your plumbing from freezing, adequate heat is the only solution.
keep cabinet doors open and use a small fan to circulate air, as the floor area, which is where most water lines are located, is the coldest.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:10 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would save all those gallon jugs. fill with water to flush the toilet and store them inside. That pink RV antifreeze was not meant to be diluted.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
Strange, in the other thread you say;

So which is it? Are you running straight anti-freeze, or a blend of anti-freeze & water?

The only thing that is strange is when people don't read all of your posts and want to make a comment. One more time just for you. I put Pure anti-freeze through the lines now for the freshwater tank I have water and antifreeze 75/25 just for flushing the bowl
Old 01-09-2015, 08:31 PM   #22

Quote:
The only thing that is strange is when people don't read all of your posts and want to make a comment. One more time just for you. I put Pure anti-freeze through the lines now for the freshwater tank I have water and antifreeze 75/25 just for flushing the bowl

You said you are using your pump, that means you are pumping diluted RV anti-freeze through the pump and lines from water tank to commode (rest of cold water lines are also being diluted) and that is subject to freezing. I suggest doing as Grey Ghost said and using jugs of anti-freeze/water mixture to flush the commode instead of trying to use your plumbing system. Even that will not prevent your holding tanks from freezing with adequate heat.
You cannot winterize part of your plumbing system without isolation valves.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 01-09-2015, 08:36 PM   #23

I've been doing it this way for months and none of the lines are being diluted I use the outside shower today to drain some water out of the fresh water tank and pure anti-freeze came out. Then diluted water came out from the freshwater tank then.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:40 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Then there is your problem. You can't have ANY water in the system at all, only pink stuff. By having water and pink in the freshwater tank it allowed the freshwater tank to freeze. By using the water pump to pull water diluted pink stuff to flush, you allowed pump to freeze. Then the flush put that water diluted pink stuff in the black tank which allowed the black tank to freeze. To avoid this you would need to have only pink stuff in the freshwater tank. And the water pump doesn't just pump freshwater to the toilet, it pressurizes the whole system so now you may have some amount of water/pink stuff in all your lines.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:55 PM   #25

Quote:

I beg to differ. Several people, myself included, have clearly stated that you can't mix water with RV anti-freeze and expect it will work as you hope.

Unlike automotive anti-freeze RV 'pink stuff', even pure, straight out of the jug, DOES freeze, it just doesn't EXPAND when it freezes, it only turns to slush, so pipes don't burst. Even more so when it's diluted with water.

That slush will clog a pump or valve in no time flat.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:38 PM   #26

Adding Murf2u's accurate information; when you mix water with RV anti-freeze it (the water portion) will expand.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:53 PM   #27

You put pink stuff in your freshwater tank??

And I agree - if you run the pump you will pump the 75/25 stuff throughout. I would suggest rethinking your winterizing methods. Sounds to me like you just wanted hints on how to thaw out your RV - if done correctly it never should have frozen.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:47 PM   #28

Yes I did put pink stuff in the freshwater tank several people do that in the summertime you just flush it out with some bleach. And as far as running the pump I use it just to flush the bathroom now several people mentioned that I will be flushing all the pink stuff out of all the lines but it does not seem true I did a little test and I opened up a few of the faucets outside shower galley sink and nothing but pure pink came out

Tags
cat