Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2009, 08:46 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Logic/Assumptions correct?

A little background; I've added a 12v fan in front of my tranny cooler, controled by a lighted, 12v switch installed on my dash. Reason was to have the ability to switch on the fan when in heavy traffic or other low airflow situations, adding to the cooling effect on the tranny fluid.

The problem; I've had to replace the lighted, dash switch twice in 6 months due to the light burning out.

The common denominator to these burnouts is that I was testing the fan operation while parked, hooked up to 110v.

My assumption is and a guess at this point; during each event, my PD 9245 converter was in boost mode (14.7v), with the extra voltage, my Trik-l-Start ramped up charging the chassis battery. Since my 12v fan switch is wired hot to the battery, this extra voltage fried the bulb when I turned the fan on while testing.

Does this logic make sense to anyone? I'm open to suggestions for curing this reoccuring problem. Thanks.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2009, 09:28 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt46 View Post
A little background; I've added a 12v fan in front of my tranny cooler, controled by a lighted, 12v switch installed on my dash. Reason was to have the ability to switch on the fan when in heavy traffic or other low airflow situations, adding to the cooling effect on the tranny fluid.

The problem; I've had to replace the lighted, dash switch twice in 6 months due to the light burning out.

The common denominator to these burnouts is that I was testing the fan operation while parked, hooked up to 110v.

My assumption is and a guess at this point; during each event, my PD 9245 converter was in boost mode (14.7v), with the extra voltage, my Trik-l-Start ramped up charging the chassis battery. Since my 12v fan switch is wired hot to the battery, this extra voltage fried the bulb when I turned the fan on while testing.

Does this logic make sense to anyone? I'm open to suggestions for curing this reoccuring problem. Thanks.
Not really, if your engine was running wouldn't your alternator be putting out 14.7 volts?
Old 03-29-2009, 10:19 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Fossil,
Yup, you're right! OK, that shoots down my previous assumption. Maybe these cheap, made in china, switches are the problem. Like I said, I'm guessing as to why these lighted switches are blowing. Hmmm, time to rethink this whole thing.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I've had numerous failures of those crappy lighted switches too. Went back to good old chrome plated, unlighted toggle switches. I put a separate indicator light on them (any Radio Shack has 12v lamps or LEDs) if I need a light.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:34 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Hows that wired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt46 View Post
Fossil,
Yup, you're right! OK, that shoots down my previous assumption. Maybe these cheap, made in china, switches are the problem. Like I said, I'm guessing as to why these lighted switches are blowing. Hmmm, time to rethink this whole thing.
Is this switch an inline feed to the fan motor or do you have a relay? I have a mini lighted switch that energizes a relay for my fog lights. If it was an inline feed there would be too much amperage for the filimant, maybe, ya thiinK?
Old 04-02-2009, 05:53 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossilhog View Post
Is this switch an inline feed to the fan motor or do you have a relay? I have a mini lighted switch that energizes a relay for my fog lights. If it was an inline feed there would be too much amperage for the filimant, maybe, ya thiinK?
This is an inline feed to the fan motor, no relay in play. From battery to switch with a 20 amp fuse in between. If I knew how to wire in a relay, I'd do that, but I'm not good at this type of work. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:26 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Mothership
You might need to install a relay between the fan and the lighted switch. Fans, because being motor driven pull a lot of amps. As the motors get older and dirtier around the armature they will also pull more amps. You can install a 20 or 30 amp relay so most of the power is going through the relay and not through the switch. I hope this helps!
Mothership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:30 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Mothership
Sorry...I just re-read Fossilhog and your last posts. You are on the right track with the relay.
Mothership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:23 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can get a small Bosch 20 amp relay at most auto stores.
Just wire the switch to activate the relay instead of the fan and wire the relay to turn on the fan. The relay contacts are wired like the switch was.

One side of the relay coil goes to the dash switch, the other side goes to ground.
The armature (movable contact) of the relay goes to 12 volts and the normally open contact goes to the fan.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:54 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
You can get a small Bosch 20 amp relay at most auto stores.
Just wire the switch to activate the relay instead of the fan and wire the relay to turn on the fan. The relay contacts are wired like the switch was.

One side of the relay coil goes to the dash switch, the other side goes to ground.
The armature (movable contact) of the relay goes to 12 volts and the normally open contact goes to the fan.

Perfect! Thanks for that info Clay L.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:11 PM   #11

20A relay?? You can get an old Ford starter solenoid that's good for about 125A for less than $15 . . . might not be rated for constant duty, though.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:39 AM   #12

Your Progressive Dynamics has a max voltage of 14.4V. Is the light on the switch on only when the fan is on. It seems that when the converter is running the fan is off and the light it off. Alternators put out a little over 14V usually. Could just be a cheap light in the rocker switch.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote