Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2018, 06:07 AM   #15

Not a good plan to not make reservations if traveling anywhere near national parks or major tourist cities (e.g. Wash DC) during high season unless you are ok with boondocking or Wallydocking. Unless there is no alternative, DW is not ok with that and doesn't like surprises. When we were younger, we camped in a tent, then a small popup. Now in our early 70's, she wants a reasonable assurance of comfort and predictability. I want a happy DW.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2018, 06:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
Not a good plan to not make reservations if traveling anywhere near national parks or major tourist cities (e.g. Wash DC) during high season unless you are ok with boondocking or Wallydocking. Unless there is no alternative, DW is not ok with that and doesn't like surprises. When we were younger, we camped in a tent, then a small popup. Now in our early 70's, she wants a reasonable assurance of comfort and predictability. I want a happy DW.
I am kinda in the same position Sandy. I like to do things spontaneous but the DW wants what you said " reasonable assurance of comfort and predictability".
But she recently said she would give going without a plan a try but if we are going to a Tourist area like the Grand Canyon you have to have a schedule to get there on time for your reservation there. Just how it goes and I don't want the Ole "I told ya so" LOL.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:31 AM   #17

We put 35,000 plus miles on travelling the last 3 years. I made reservations the morning i left if i knew how far i wanted to drive that day otherwise as long as we stopped by 3pm i was always able to get a space.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:39 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
"Not all who wander are lost."

Tolkin
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:06 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
The keys to success are based on time of year, week, day and if you are retired. Now add a large dose of some good old common sense and I doubt any retired traveler will have issues with finding a CG.

How soon we forgot (before retirement) how we traveled during the summer with only weekends and weeks to vacation. We all hit the road and drove until we almost fell asleep because we had to get THERE. Wherever THERE was. We (most) are all on permanent vacations so the day of the week and time of day should not matter. Search early!! We usually travel 4-6 hours each day. That's 200 to 300 miles. Sometimes more or less.

The best days of the week are Monday after the rush hour through the next 4 days until 3-PM Friday when the next rush hour begins. We don't really like Saturday and Sunday (except for church) because the folks adding to SS pot are all out clogging up the highways and byways.

Coming into Houston this week we did hit two (Dallas, Houston) long traffic jams. We are here on a family health emergency so we couldn't pick the best of times. We managed (mentally) because we knew were only in the jam because we had to. However we knew the most of the others were doing it because it's their daily job. Big, big difference in ones mental state.

Travel safe!!!!
Old 04-06-2018, 08:16 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Hotdog,
Yes, it's done all the time. And you are correct in the fact that RVing is far more popular than even a couple of years ago. Not only that but, there's a whole ton of what we call "Live-ins" out there. Those are the ones that have full wheel covers on, potted plants hanging all over the place, fenced (or not fenced) dog runs, and a whole lot more "stuff" hanging around their place than any mobile traveler would have. They're taking up a ton of space in campgrounds and RV parks all over the U.S.

But, we too have traveled for years without making reservations and, it's generally worked out pretty good for quite some time. But, as things get more populated, we changed our "M.O." as the cops refer to. And that is, we might get up in the morning, get ready to go and, start traveling. We calculate just about how long we want to drive and how far we might get. We then consult "the big book" of camping sites. We try and find campgrounds and RV parks rated "10". In that particular book, they're rated with THREE scores.

We'll see a 10-10-10 and, if it's in the area we're headed to, we'll give them a call early in the A.M. And, quite often they have a space or more available. But, this gives us a guarantee that we'll have a safe (supposedly) and secure place to stay for the night, a couple of days, whatever. Sometimes we only find a rating of say, 6-6-5 or, 7-4-4. Obviously the lower the ratings, the less quality of a place to stay.

Sometimes, if we really know our route and, predetermined stopping points, we'll make reservations way ahead of time, if we know the campgrounds/RV parks in the areas intended. But, that's more rare. We just finished, last summer, a 6,500 mile trip around the U.S. and, for the most part, right in the middle of July and August, we had zero problems securing reservations the day we called. And, for the most part, if all we could find was lower than the 10-10-10 rating, we were ok with it as long as we could tolerate the "live-ins".

There were just a few times when, it was closer to a weekend that we were shut out in our calls. Once we learned about situations like that, we'd call more in advance. We survived. As much as we don't mind it, we actually never had to stay in a Walmart parking lot for that whole 6,500 mile trip.
Scott
Fire Up, I have a couple of camping books, but they don't seem to be the one you have. Which specific book is the "Big Book", and where could I get one?
Thanks!
Old 04-06-2018, 12:43 PM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The answers here can be very deceiving. One guy travels through the middle of the country where there are no destinations, like a National Park, and says he finds spots without issues. Of course he does, no one is going there.

Try driving to Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon or Zion without a reservation, even in the off season.....you wont get in. So.....the answer depends on where you intend to go. Two years ago we did a coast to coast trip, everything between the coasts, we easily found sites without reservations. On the days we planned on spending in Washington DC, New Orleans and Nashville, we booked months in advance.

Other reasons you might need to make reservations is the size of your coach and if you're traveling with another rig. Those two things will limit you. We just booked Yellowstone and Glacier National Park with another couple. Since RVing has become so popular, we booked every night of our four week trip with the exception of the last couple of nights driving home through California.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:54 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We booked our overnights to Florida and back at a couple COE parks, which we generally don't do. But it's the height of Snowbird Migration, so I figured we might have a tough time finding a spot.
But then, I'm also content to overnight in a Cracker Barrel parking lot too, which is what we usually do enroute to a destination. I figured they might be full this time of year too.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:10 PM   #23

There are always cancellations at campgrounds and rv parks. We got into the Grand Canyon for 3 nights and have gotten into Death Valley a few times because of cancellations. If i know where i am going to be then yes make a reservation but its not always needed and i dont always plan that far ahead.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 03:50 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
There are always cancellations at campgrounds and rv parks. We got into the Grand Canyon for 3 nights and have gotten into Death Valley a few times because of cancellations. If i know where i am going to be then yes make a reservation but its not always needed and i dont always plan that far ahead.

We always book want the comfort to know we have a place, not setting in a park lot . A lot of places are to small .
jumpingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:01 AM   #25

Everyone has their own style, but I find planning half the fun. I plan routes, evaluate campgrounds and make reservations. I don’t have the personality wing it.
Bloodyhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:59 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
I think part of the problem is the general age of the population. Used to be if I took a day off during the week, to head to the river with my boat to chase bass, I'd be lucky if I saw a dozen other truck/trailers parked in the ramp parking lot. Now I ONLY go during the week since I have been retired a couple of years, and I am lucky if there are only 100 other trailers in the lot. All these damned old farts retiring at the same time. WAIT! That includes me.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
If I'm going someplace like Yellowstone I will have reservation at Yellowstone but just wing it the two nights on the road traveling there. Lot options if just looking for a over night stop and since I have a onboard generator opens up a lot more options.
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel