Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2019, 03:20 PM   #57

leg cramps

Have you tried compression socks. That helps with circulation. Move your legs around if you can when driving, or take a 10 -15 rest and stretch your legs that is what I do.
ashman155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2019, 03:40 PM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Thanks for the tip on the potassium. I'll look at getting some OTC supplements. Can't hurt.

On the water - yes. That's a good ideal too - and then I will need to stop every couple of hours for that... - and get in some walking.
Yes, drink more water, but I'd bet that you also have a magnesium deficiency. Buy a bottle of Magnesium glycinate (highly absorbable), and start taking one or 2 every day, with a bottle of water. Bet your muscle cramps will be a thing of the past.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:40 PM   #59

Stay hydrated! We stop every 100 miles or so to just move around a bit. Usually we walk about 1/4 each stop.
moonmanvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:19 PM   #60

Quote:
I'm writing to see is any one has dealt with (or has a solution for) leg cramps on long drives. I'm only good for a couple of hours (even just sitting in a plane or at a desk) before my legs start to get antsy. It's sort of like the start of a RLS episode (which I suffer from too).

Other than pulling over and walking around for a bit, are there any tips or remedies that I can use so I can get a few more hours of driving in before needed to stop for the night?
Any doctor will tell you that sitting for too long is bad for your legs as the blood circulation isn't done properly. 2 hours none stop is too much time sitting. Personally I stop every hour and walk around for 5 to 10 minutes to rest the legs, the back, the nerves etc. I like to check my tires every hour with a laser thermometer, take bearing temp as well. I figure it's all part of driving a big rig responsibly, after all I'm suppose to be on vacation.
Bazou7101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:19 PM   #61

If you have not done so get your legs (and groin/pelvis area) checked for blood clots. It is an ultrasound exam. Painless but takes some time to do a good one.

Blood clots are nothing to fool with. I had a PE last December. It was not caused by leg blood clots and I did not have cramping but leg cramping can be a sign of excessive blood clotting. The cause of my clotting was a discovered cancer (discovered while diagnosing the PE).

I do have a sciatic issue which is caused by a small muscle near the Sciatic nerve in the buttocks region. Luckily my Sig Other is a massage therapist and that helps as well as a simple exercise I can use. That issue will periodically cause my one leg to get really sore and stiff.

Generally leg cramping at night, etc. is caused by a lack of magnesium not potassium. Magnesium supplements are easy to find. As we get older our body's ability to absorb magnesium from our food diminishes thus supplementation.
chiliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:26 PM   #62

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I'm writing to see is any one has dealt with (or has a solution for) leg cramps on long drives. I'm only good for a couple of hours (even just sitting in a plane or at a desk) before my legs start to get antsy. It's sort of like the start of a RLS episode (which I suffer from too).

Other than pulling over and walking around for a bit, are there any tips or remedies that I can use so I can get a few more hours of driving in before needed to stop for the night?
I wear these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Used to fly to Europe on business and these were great to prevent DVT.
mtmsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:38 PM   #63

Quote:

you should alos stop at l;east every couple hours and get out for a few minites to stretch your legs and feet. And like others have stated, drink lots of water and have your potasium checked.
GrayDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:48 PM   #64

Walmart sells a ton of stuff for leg cramps.

https://www.walmart.com/search/?cat_...ery=leg+cramps

Hope you find something.
Enjoy Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:58 PM   #65

Theraworx for leg cramps, people swear by it.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:05 PM   #66

The six way adjustable captain's chair gets a workout starting at about hour 2. At hour 3, I stop at a rest stop, and walk around a bit.
scaleram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:05 PM   #67

Newmar Owners Club
Well being old, it is very hard to miss any rest area for call of nature, this is amplified by how much coffee I drink before leaving for the day's drive. Since I get to stop so often, my legs don't cramp as a rule. However, take your wallet out of your pants, lower the front of the seat, so the flow of blood is not restricted. If you don't also drink lots of water, and stay hydrated, that will cause the cramps. Additionally, studies have shown, older folks don't get enough vitamin B-12, so you might want to get a supplement of that, get the sublingual type, it melts under your tongue, and it's listed in size as micrograms, around 2500 mcg every other day should be enough. If you take any heart/bp/blood thinners, then ignore this part, but every other day of travel, I take an aspirin this keeps my blood a little thinner, and I don't worry about cramps/clots in those long days of driving.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:38 PM   #68

Drink a LOT OF WATER............much more than you think you will need.
picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:46 PM   #69

I sometimes get severe leg cramps at night. I take a couple teaspoons of mustard and within 30 seconds the muscles start to relax. Sounds crazy. My daughter told me this a few years back and I thought it was an old wives tale. I decided to give it a try thinking it was a crazy idea but, it has worked every time. I prefer the brown mustard but it works with the yellow mustard as well. Might be worth a try!!
sanfordja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:46 PM   #70

Don't know how to prevent them but Husband gets horrible leg cramps and a tablespoon of mustard (regular hot dog mustard) makes them go away within a minute. Worth a try.
Karenys is offline   Reply With Quote