Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2007, 05:33 AM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Where I will be working soon does not have a water supply near where I will have to park my RV. The water is about 150' from my location.

Is there a reason I could not use a properly cleaned garden hose(s) to feed the RV?

Thanks for yours ideas.

Duncan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2007, 05:33 AM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Where I will be working soon does not have a water supply near where I will have to park my RV. The water is about 150' from my location.

Is there a reason I could not use a properly cleaned garden hose(s) to feed the RV?

Thanks for yours ideas.

Duncan
Old 03-02-2007, 05:47 AM   #3
Retired Senior Member

I know the "white" hoses are supposed to be used for that purpose due to the materials for "regular" hoses not meeting drinking water standards. That said, I have been drinking out of garden hoses for 50-plus years. Probably getting water that has been trapped in the hose for a period of time and has possibly absorbed "bad-stuff" is the issue. I know I'd hate to shell out the bucks for 150 of white hose! Consider running a 1" PVC line and putting another faucet nearer your rig if you're going to be there for a long time. That long a run will be a freeze problem during winter too unless it's buried.
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:40 AM   #4

watch out for walmart water hose. after i bought one i found the sign that said NOT FOR DRINKING WATER DUE TO LEAD CONTENT OF THE HOSE.
read the info on the hose before you get it home.
tom wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:48 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The really cheap hoses will leak a lot of chemicals into the water, mostly nasty tasting stuff but maybe some bad things too. They put a lot of chemicals into vinyl to keep it flexible. The better grades and the rubber (vs vinyl) ones don't seem to have as bad taste, but I don't know if they are any safer.

You can buy a 75 foot potable water hose for under $40 on Amazon.com. Amazon.com 75 ft hose Boating supply stores often carry them too - boats often need longer hoses than RVs, so they carry longer lengths.

Here's another bargain on Ebay - 5 x 25 ft hoses for $30 - that would give you an extra 125 feet for $30 and no worries about health hazards. I assume you already have at least 25 ft of water hose.
Ebay - 5 x 25 ft - 125 ft
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:17 AM   #6

Garden hose not reccomended for safe drinking water. I usually carry 3 or 4 short hoses connected together for long runs. That way if it springs a leak I just have to buy a short one to replace it.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:04 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
50 KW, You might want to consider buying the reinforced clear water hose from Home Depot or Lowes and puting the brass coupler ends on it yourself. The hose comes in just about any diameter up to 3/4 inch. I think you can even buy it in bulk rolls of 50' or 100'. It is used on Ice machines and cold drink machines in every resturant so it is made to take a lot of pressure and is approved for potable water. I use it because I like to see if I am getting any mold growth inside my potable water supply hose and also if there is trash in my water supply source. Plus I can make my hoses any length I want.

Good luck, Glenn
Old 03-02-2007, 07:35 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tommywilson:
watch out for walmart water hose. after i bought one i found the sign that said NOT FOR DRINKING WATER DUE TO LEAD CONTENT OF THE HOSE.
read the info on the hose before you get it home. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I didn't have to worry about any warnings on the 2 short white drinking water hoses I bought from Wal-Mart... they both leaked too badly to use (bought at two different stores, in two different states, at two different times). Last time I buy a hose from Wal-Mart!

We are running a really long hose (far longer than our white drinking water hose). We use the water from cooking (and hot tea), washing dishes as well as flushing the toilet. We have a sediment filter and a chemical filter on our system. When the hose heats up, the water straight from the tap tastes funny (I also need to replace my chem filter) but doesn't taste off from cooking or when I boil it in the tea kettle. Our long hoses did not come from Wal-Mart and did not have any warnings about lead (we read labels). If you make your own hoses, you might consider going with quick-connects for your hose connections. We like quick connects on our hoses.. I run a "Y" splitter on any hose bibb that we connect to... thread on the bibb and quick-connect to hoses. This is a habit I picked up quite some time ago. One of our Favourite NF camprounds had a great little "cul-de-sac" spot but only a few threaded hose bibbs to service 4 or 5 sites each. So I would carry 3 or 4 splitters and stack "Y" splitters so everyone would have water access to their RV (we would stay for a week at a time so we usually left after everyone else had gone). Quick-connects speeded up knock-down time (pop-up) and it was usually raining when we shut down (that's normal, right?). Of course I now have to short drinking water hoses that I can replace the threaded connections with quick connects!
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:35 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
full-timer has the right idea on shorter lengths of hose being better than long lengths of hose. Once this assignment is completed, the shorter lengths will be much easier to manage and then reuse at future stops.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:44 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks everyone. Some very good ideas have been shared with me. I am going to try the 3/4" PVC pipe first if I can get it into the ground without a large expense. There should be some contractors around with something that can lay in a ditch for me.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:05 PM   #11

Another thought is the black "Jet" pipe, available from Farm Stores. You buy the hose and fittings VERY CHEAP (cheaper than PVC) it is safe for water and can be used underground or above ground if necessary. It doesn't last as long as PVC, but hey, it is <span class="ev_code_GREEN">MUCH</span> cheaper!