Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2009, 02:15 PM   #15
paz

Quote:
Originally posted by Savannah:
PAZ

Where in Florida might one find the material for the shades/screens? We have a large side window and I'd like to use an inside screen on it sorta like a curtain. Thanks, Savannah
Savannah, Beasley Mfg. is where we bought the shade cloth. They are located at 59 S. Maryland Ave. in Center Hill, FL (33514). Center Hill is a little way off the Florida Turnpike or a little way off I-75 to the northwest of Orlando. Their phone number is 352-793-5055. They are only open Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Fabric is $1 to $2 a linear foot, depending on width (3' to 8') and whether it's first or second quality.

Check our blog at the link at the bottom of the post. I just posted an entry about making the sunscreens.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2009, 03:20 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by Savannah:
PAZ

Where in Florida might one find the material for the shades/screens? We have a large side window and I'd like to use an inside screen on it sorta like a curtain. Thanks, Savannah
I bought the screen material at Home Depot here in FL. I think Lowes also has it. I found it in the garden section. It is mostly used to screen in swimming pools. I had planned to make a sun shade for my awning but ended up using what I bought for an outside carpet. The screen material makes a nice carpet, doesn't kill the grass and allows the rain to drain through. I placed grommets around the perimeter and use aluminum gutter spikes to hold the screen material to the ground.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:53 AM   #17
paz

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom N:
I bought the screen material at Home Depot here in FL. I think Lowes also has it. I found it in the garden section.
-Tom
Even some larger WalMarts here in Florida have shade cloth, and they have a variety of colors. The price isn't bad - $22 for a 7' x 15' pre-packaged piece.

I don't know about the material Lowes and HD sell, but the problem with the stuff WalMart has is that it only blocks 75% of the sunlight. That's probably better for the grass if you're going to use it for outside carpet, but if you're going to use it for it's intended purpose as shade cloth, most RV sunscreens block 90% (or at least 80%) of the light.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:32 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
My Sunguards block 94% of the light. I haven't compared the shade cloth material but I'll take a look at the material and read the packaging label.

I do have a 6X30 piece of black sunshade material.

I plan to have tire protectors made that snap on.

-Tom

Below is a photo of a Mountain Air that parked next to me a few years ago. This fellow's wife made windshield covers, mirror covers, tire covers, wiper covers and an awning drop shade all from the swimming pool enclosure material. He also used some for a patio carpet underlayment and a sidewalk!

Old 02-07-2009, 05:43 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I'm not certain what the 75% indicates but this material is dense enough for RV sunshades.

-Tom

http://www.easygardener.com/in...play&category_ID=106

Old 02-08-2009, 07:29 AM   #20
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
One thing to consider with outside sun screens is the type of "camping" you do. If you camp in pine tree forests sap dripping on outside sun screens create a problem. That's why, many years ago, we opted for inside sun screens. Also bird poop can cause temporary cleaning problems.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #21

Thanks everyone for the info on the screen material. Since it hasn't been very warm in Florida I forgot all about this thread. I wanted some sunshine to come in that big window and give us some heat.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by SRT:
If you camp in pine tree forests sap dripping on outside sun screens create a problem. That's why, many years ago, we opted for inside sun screens. Also bird poop can cause temporary cleaning problems.
This could also be perceived as a plus. Outside shades mean clean windows. I've also noticed less window rubber molding deterioration with outside shades.

-Tom