Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-20-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
Im planning on purchasing one of those metal canopies for storage of my motorhome. It will be approximately 12W X 12H X 36L and be mounted on a concrete pad. I plan to enclose one side and one end and leave the other side and end open. Many of the canopy providers include installation in the price but if the price is right I have no problem assembling the unit myself. Do any of you have any thoughts on the subject? Is there a manufacture/supplier you would recommend? Are there quality and design concerns I should be aware of? Where can I get the best price for a quality canopy?
Any thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I live just north of Los Angeles.

1999 National Sea View 8331

1998 Jeep Wrangler
Warren&Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Is 12' high enough? ...as I recall, the note on my dash tells me mine is 12' 3" or so ...good idea to measure your rig to tallest point (ac cover, etc).

I would think about prevailing winds and possible high wind conditions, particularly if they generally come from the direction of the open sides. My concern would be, does the structure need to be vented some between top and sides to relieve wind stress? The place you are looking at buying from may be able to help you with that concern. (venting is not a bad idea anyway for heat, and may be part of the design.)

Paul (KE5LXU) ...was fulltimin', now parttimin'
'03 Winnebago UA 40e / '05 Honda Odyssey toad
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:47 AM   #3
First thing to do is check with County Building Codes Dept.
My next door neighbor put one up and they made him tear it down!
JerryForwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:41 AM   #4
First things first.... The suggestion to call your local Building Code Dept is very important since many municipalities around the country are very strict about what THEY allow. Serveral years ago I had an aluminum shed 12'X12'X36' installed by a local Florida contractor who did a great job. It was put on a cement slab to hold the weight. Problem, three years later got a bigger coach which did fit length wise however since I went from a "C" to an "A" class it was several inches higher. I got lucky since the company I purchased the rig from gave me an allowance to help with the cost and I brought the original shed contractor back and we (him and I) were able to lift the shed enough to accomodate the new rig. 12' wide should leave you enough to open your bay doors if rig is centered but will not allow for open slides. Since we live in Fl the sun was a major factor so I chose to close both sides all the way, leaving front and rear open for ventilation. Coach is now going on 4 yrs old and still looks brand new. Hope this helped. Good Luck.....
bill carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:12 AM   #5
Newmar Owners Club
I have a 28'W X 13'H X 36'L that works really well, but have a couple of suggestions for you to consider.

I would increase the height to at least 13' as others have mentioned, even if your current coach fits, your next one may not. Added height will make coach roof access a bit easier, especially if you have maintenance to do, and may help with property resale. Most of the newer DP are close to, or at least, 12' in height.

Another thought is to add 4' of siding on each side down from the top, blocks the sun off the side of the coach, and keeps the roof more protected from windblown debris. This also will add to stability in the wind.

"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything"
2008 Newmar VTDP - 3330 - ISBXT 350 Spartan NVS
Toad - 2013 Mini Cooper S or 93 Nissan 4WD PU
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:10 PM   #6
As others have said, Check with your Building Inspector and your Zoning Officer before you do anything.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:56 PM   #7
When we had ours installed, I went with a height of 14ft for reasons stated by previous posts. Did cover one side half way down and a quarter on the back. The other side is blocked by the house. The problem I am now having, is the coach at that time was 38'. The current coach is 42'. Although were here only three months out of the year, I am not overly concerned. I do wish I had planned ahead but...
Mine is rated for winds up to 80mph, (New Mexico) and we had moble home anchors placed on the four corners for stablity.
It is a good investment, strongly recommend you don't do what I did and not take into consideration you might trade up.
2008 Gulf Stream Tour Master T40B 330 Mercedes
Greyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:54 AM   #8
We used this company and are very happy with ours 12' legs which give you 13'6" down the middle. Ours is 12'x36' with long sides sided 6' down and the front end closed to the ground with 6 hurrican tie downs and it has had no problems in 50+ mph winds here in N.J.Price around $3000 installed.

Mike , Leslie and Heather and Maggie Canine Traveler
2001 34' Dutchstar, Ford ,Double Slide
2007 Honda CR-V Toad
Mikeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:01 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
2 things to consider:

I agree with building longer than you need. If you get a shorter MH in the future, you won't have any issues. But, if you get a longer MH in the future, it can be very costly to expand your existing structure. Also, consider wider so you'll have room to open slides.

IMO, I would have it assembled by the company you purchase it from. They will have the crew, the equipment & the knowledge to erect it efficiently. With the RV port company we're considering, Carports.com, it's only a 5% discount for self-assembly. Not worth the frustration of trying to assemble it ourselves.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:59 PM   #10
RV Canopies are often the better choice for tight spaces, since they are only about 12 ' wide, and provide easier access from the open sides. The lack of side walls also provides much greater stability in heavy wind areas. However, some have a side screen that adds added protection from sun and wind.

<sub>Edited to remove commercial advertising.</sub>
Safeman4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:53 PM   #11
Hello We used this company and are very happy ..his services is very fantastic..
Safeman4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:10 PM   #12
When we built our shop, we built it to accomodate a 42' MH. It has a 14x12 door, and the inside space is 16x16x44. Then we wound up with a 2nd MH - so we built a 12x19x40 carport, and covered one side (the other is next to the shop).

My recommendations: Build the carport at least 14x20x46. If you ever have a MH / 5er with slides on both sides, you'll need 20' to leave them open and have any walk-space. The 14 and 46 are for possible future uses. If it's way too big now . . . I don't know anyone withh "too much" covered storage space.

Norm & Janet

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote