Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2017, 08:03 PM   #1

Looking for Class A or C input with Toys

We are in the market for a RV, so I will also be posting this in the Class C section for that input also.

I have owned a Class C about 20 years ago, apparently 5 kids pretty much interrupts everything LOL.

Currently I have a Harley Tri-Glide which is approx. 1150 lbs. We initially thought about the Class A Outlaw, but then started getting other ideas. To haul it in the RV does have it's benefits, however there would be times we wouldn't want to bring the Trike with and then the garage is useless.

Then I found this - http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel-58-dual-wheel

So we just started also looking at Super C units, since I feel the diesel will be better for lugging the Trike, however feel free to change my mind.

We have looked at a Fleetwood Revolution diesel pusher which I would think that this device has no problem with. I'm not sure if some of the lift options would work as I've done some of the math on those types of units and it's pretty much saying no. But input is appreciated.

I'd like to open the field away from Thor Outlaw and see what other options we could use.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2017, 09:08 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Newmar Canyon Star 3921?
https://www.newmarcorp.com/gas-motor...ar/floorplans/

And, we would disagree that without the toys, the garage is "useless."

First, our toys would never be hung on a rack on the back...too much grime on the shiney bits.
And we often like to tow a car, so a trailer or a dolly-deck wouldn't work.

And the toy hauler's garage and rear ramp/deck are wonderful multi-use spaces at the destination. Ours has been used for a guest room, a day kennel, a shop, a sunroom, a craftroom, a storeroom, and a stage...so many options.
Our RV is often a celebrity with others at our destinations - so many wait and watch to see what comes our of the garage. And some walk over to ask about it (what it'says called, what fits inside, how does it work, etc.)

We actually would never want a normal COW (condo on wheels). Too much wasted space in that dedicated bedroom that is only used for 1/3 of the day...but that's just us.

And there are other brand's out there in the used market:
Class "A" Toyhaulers

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:19 PM   #3

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5232.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	175325
Old 09-02-2017, 09:25 PM   #4

Thanks that brought more additions to the original post that I should add in...

We will never be towing a car

That product I listed has a cover for the bike, which isn't shiny anyways I've blacked it out due to all the salt in the air down here.

We have the side awning area, but truthfully we rarely if ever would use the deck/ramp or back end aside form storage for the bike. It's just the 2 of us and this is for mostly bike events or Disney. We spend more time away from the RV and would probably make use of the inside since all day outside in the sun typically leaves us in a hotel with AC at night relaxing (we typically do 100-150 miles on the bike a day at events)_

Hope the additional info helps
Old 09-02-2017, 09:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCrowell View Post

Damon / Outlaw? I don't see the tie downs...
Old 09-02-2017, 10:39 PM   #6

Looking for Class A or C input with Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
Damon / Outlaw? I don't see the tie downs...

Newmar Canyon Star. This was the first time we put it in the garage to make sure all was ok, then it came out. It is now in and tied down for our trip to Arizona in a week and half. When not using the garage we can have guests use the bunk beds or use it for storage. We do use the top bunk to store stuff even with the trike in the garage.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5407.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	615.9 KB
ID:	175334
Old 09-02-2017, 10:46 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Thanks that brought more additions to the original post that I should add in...

We will never be towing a car

That product I listed has a cover for the bike, which isn't shiny anyways I've blacked it out due to all the salt in the air down here.

We have the side awning area, but truthfully we rarely if ever would use the deck/ramp or back end aside form storage for the bike. It's just the 2 of us and this is for mostly bike events or Disney. We spend more time away from the RV and would probably make use of the inside since all day outside in the sun typically leaves us in a hotel with AC at night relaxing (we typically do 100-150 miles on the bike a day at events)_

Hope the additional info helps
OK...these points make it easy.

Forget the RV. If you are usually at the hotel with other riders, just get a pick-up and trailer for the trike.
There are even some towable Toy Haulers that are mostly garage - just a small kitchen and bath in the nose.

And what has a side awning? Any A or C can be fitted with one of those dolly/decks. But why use a dolly/deck. If you NEVER will need a car, why not just get a typical trailer?

Finally - "never say never" about a toad. If the Trike really doesn't come along sometimes, it's typically only a matter of time before a car is needed. Only option is rent at the destination, but that is often a pain to coordinate.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 09-02-2017, 10:52 PM   #8

The toy-hauler arrangement has its pro's & con's. I had a toy-hauler 5'er for several years. I like having my motorcycle inside out of the weather and secure. The garage area was pretty utilitarian... diamond plate floor and e-track system on the floor to tie down.
True enough, it is still usable space and the ramp door can make a nice patio, but I really felt like the garage area cut in to the living space too much.

The Outlaw is a nice MH, but your only option is gas. If you would like a diesel engine in a toy-hauler configuration, you will probably need to look at some of the C's built on the big diesel chassis.

For me, a DP MH and a 16' enclosed trailer for the motorcycle is a better option. The motorcycle is nice and safe in the trailer and we have lots of extra room to haul other stuff.
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
OK...these points make it easy.

Forget the RV. If you are usually at the hotel with other riders, just get a pick-up and trailer for the trike.
There are even some towable Toy Haulers that are mostly garage - just a small kitchen and bath in the nose.

And what has a side awning? Any A or C can be fitted with one of those dolly/decks. But why use a dolly/deck. If you NEVER will need a car, why not just get a typical trailer?

Finally - "never say never" about a toad. If the Trike really doesn't come along sometimes, it's typically only a matter of time before a car is needed. Only option is rent at the destination, but that is often a pain to coordinate.

Best luck

May I put that wrong - currently we use a hotel, we want to stop that - Bikeweek alone is over 200 a night.

I do NOT want to have a 5th wheel, tow trailer etc. I have no place for any of that we live in an HOA this will be 1 unit (and whatever to carry the bike that is not like a trailer)

and I can say never LOL.... I will never tow anything aside from having a lift or something on the back (if no garage) I have status with rental cars so having one delivered is not a problem.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRebel View Post
The toy-hauler arrangement has its pro's & con's. I had a toy-hauler 5'er for several years. I like having my motorcycle inside out of the weather and secure. The garage area was pretty utilitarian... diamond plate floor and e-track system on the floor to tie down.
True enough, it is still usable space and the ramp door can make a nice patio, but I really felt like the garage area cut in to the living space too much.

The Outlaw is a nice MH, but your only option is gas. If you would like a diesel engine in a toy-hauler configuration, you will probably need to look at some of the C's built on the big diesel chassis.

For me, a DP MH and a 16' enclosed trailer for the motorcycle is a better option. The motorcycle is nice and safe in the trailer and we have lots of extra room to haul other stuff.

That's what entered the Fleetwood Revolution and a Super C into the mix, but I really don't want the inconvenience of the trailer but it may be inevitable since a Boss Hoss is scheduled in a few years to replace the Harley. I just don't like the feeling of hauling a trailer and then all the crap when you need to disconnect etc at the grounds.

We are in our late 50s, less is more.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCrowell View Post
Newmar Canyon Star. This was the first time we put it in the garage to make sure all was ok, then it came out. It is now in and tied down for our trip to Arizona in a week and half. When not using the garage we can have guests use the bunk beds or use it for storage. We do use the top bunk to store stuff even with the trike in the garage.
Attachment 175334
Those straps look a bit thin for a trike especially that one. I'm curious how well those will work.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:26 AM   #12

I guess we will find out. They do have a 3000# break strength. As a trike we aren't looking at tipping over and just bouncing around. Time will tell.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:58 AM   #13

Newmar used to make a mid-engine diesel pusher toy hauler.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/newmarcorp....mid-diesel.pdf

It's interesting to see what might be done.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:05 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
May I put that wrong - currently we use a hotel, we want to stop that - Bikeweek alone is over 200 a night.

I do NOT want to have a 5th wheel, tow trailer etc. I have no place for any of that we live in an HOA this will be 1 unit (and whatever to carry the bike that is not like a trailer)

and I can say never LOL.... I will never tow anything aside from having a lift or something on the back (if no garage) I have status with rental cars so having one delivered is not a problem.
All right. Your needs are becoming even more clear. But glad you are at least considering the Newmar...a Class A Toy Hauler has so much to offer bike riders

Rental car delivery IS a problem in the great spaces west of the Mississippi. But if your travels keep you east, that's great.

Quote:
That's what entered the Fleetwood Revolution and a Super C into the mix, but I really don't want the inconvenience of the trailer but it may be inevitable since a Boss Hoss is scheduled in a few years to replace the Harley. I just don't like the feeling of hauling a trailer and then all the crap when you need to disconnect etc at the grounds.

We are in our late 50s, less is more.
Just so it is said...the Revolution by Fleetwood was discontinued after 2012...so this means you are willing to look at used (?).

So, if NOT getting a toy hauler and NOT pulling a trailer, RV selection can be based on floor plan...get what you like in the price point you are comfortable with. The gas vs. Diesel discussion would not a big deal...any Class A or C will pull one of those dolly/deck rigs. The Super C's will really be an over-kill, typically having towing capacity STARTING at 10,000lb...with a price point to match.

And finally, please notice that these dolly/deck rigs have no brakes or spring suspension. But that is really no problem for carriage of a vehicle that doesn't weight too much. Our neighbor has one of these rigs for his Rhino and several dirt bikes. He seems to love it. But, he's still jealous when he sees us loading everything inside our Outlaw.

Best luck

WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV

Tags
class a