Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2014, 02:02 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
For the shower curtain idea, use a cable. You can buy it by the foot from any hardware store. Fasten one end solid using an I bolt, the other end use a turn buckle to provide proper tension to prevent sag.

It's how we've put up curtain walls in shops for years.
sounds good with the cable, but what would you use tor the rings, they would have to be some sort of steel.

scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2014, 09:36 AM   #16

We used eyelets, like these.

103 Piece 1/2" Grommet Installation Kit

You can get the kits anywhere. Just used plain cable, not the covered ones.

I would loop the sun fabric over to double the material at the eyelets.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterbob View Post
sounds good with the cable, but what would you use tor the rings, they would have to be some sort of steel.
I hang the tarp with metal shower curtain rings through grommets over the rod with no problems. I like the cable idea though.
HUGHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thanks everyone for the Ideas.
Going with the cable and ring idea. sounds like the simplest way to go..
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:49 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterbob View Post
Thanks everyone for the Ideas.
Going with the cable and ring idea. sounds like the simplest way to go..
Scooterbob,
I did just what has been suggested to you. I built an RV carport that has a gabled type of roof. I too wanted to "curtain off" the front end. So, I came up with the "cable - hung - pull" idea. I strung a cable from the upper corner of one side, through an eye bolt at the center of the gable, down to the other top corner. I used a turn buckle to adjust tension. Then, I cut the shade cloth at an angle, to comply with the top angle and, it's flat across the bottom. Now, there are TWO curtains.

Those two curtains, are held to that cable, via locking "Key rings" of about 2" in diameter. Now, to "draw" the curtains closed, I simply ran another small diameter nylon rope, about 3/16th in diameter, up to an upper, corner mounted pulley. From there, the nylon rope goes through the same eye bolt in the upper center of the gable and down to the leading edge of the curtain. I duplicated that for the other side.

So, now, all I do is, go to one side, pull on the rope and the opposite side curtain, slides up the tensioned cable, all the way to the center eye bolt where it stops. I lock that rope around a mini-boat cleat I've got mounted to the pole. Then, I go to the other side, and pull on that rope which, pulls the opposite side curtain, up to the center eye bolt and meets the first curtain's front edge. I then lock that rope. DONE!

It takes a lot longer to explain this than it does to do it. I can pull both curtains and lock the ropes in about 10 seconds. When it comes time to open them up, I simply unwind the ropes on the cleats and, go pull the curtains open. DONE! If I could create a video of how it works, I'd do it so you could see how it's all put together. It's a "Poor mans" enclosed garage.
Scott
I'm going to attempt to attach a picture in a different manor than I usually do to show at least what the two curtains look like from a distance. It's the only picture I've got of them right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020335.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	318.2 KB
ID:	59890  

FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote