Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2015, 05:40 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Looking for LED terms explanation.

I see LED descriptions containing terms like BA15S, 27SMD, 5050, etc and I havent a clue what they mean. Do some of these indicate color or brightness or what. Some people say get a bulb of so many lumens but some of these descriptions don't seem to use that particular term. Very confusing, thanks for your help!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2015, 07:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by John How View Post
I see LED descriptions containing terms like BA15S, 27SMD, 5050, etc and I havent a clue what they mean. Do some of these indicate color or brightness or what. Some people say get a bulb of so many lumens but some of these descriptions don't seem to use that particular term. Very confusing, thanks for your help!!!
Google is your friend

BA15S is the bayonet bulb base common in automobiles and MH fixtures:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...r,1156,21,194:

27 SMD refers to 27 Surface Mount Devices making up the lamp assemby.

The power handling capacity of a single LED assembly is fairly limited thus the light output of a single assembly is limited. The way the manufacturers get around that is to use multiple devices in an assembly. Surface Mount is the package for the device. It is a chip designed to be soldered on a flat surface with connecting pads on the board surface.

Your best bet is probably to search for the terms you wonder about as half of them are probably marketing hype. If you do not find an answer feel free to ask and somebody will help you. YouTube is probably a good source for seeing the difference in color unless you want to just buy some bulbs and play.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:33 PM   #3
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
color temperature expressed in Degrees Kelvin. This is the color of light that the LED emits.

ie. Personally, I like 3000 -3500k. This is about the same color as a regular ole incandescent bulb.

Some people prefer a little more white, say around 4000k. I think if you start getting to much above 4500, it becomes objectionably blue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	led-color-temperature.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	100337  

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:02 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
The brightness descriptions I've seen, seem kind of useless. White, bright white, super white, warm white. They are just words without much meaning as I can't seem to relate them to a scale. I guess I'll just have to experiment.
Thanks!
Old 07-16-2015, 10:13 PM   #5
JDT

The 4 numbers refer to the size of the individual led's. 5050 is 5.0mm x 5.0mm. Can't remember all the numbers out there but I think one was 3728 which would be 3.7mm x 2.8mm. Different sizes have different brightness so a lot of small sized led's may not be as bright as a lesser number of the larger ones. The 5050's are fairly good sized and I am using some bulbs with 30 of them in some sconces and they are just right in brightness. I tried some 15's but they were not bright enough. Look at the lumen rating. I found anything over 300 worked pretty well.

The best color light for us is 3000K. We replaced all our home bulbs with led's and found that color to be best for our comfort. We did the same with fifth wheel. I bought a few bulbs from cabinbright.com and found some really good info there. Don't give up, I knew nothing when I started my replacement project and now know just enough to be dangerous.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:32 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
I spent about 4 months searching for the LED bulbs I wanted for my ceiling pucks and wall sconces. I needed 63 bulbs for my ceiling pucks alone, so I was willing to spend the time to get what I wanted. I ordered samples of every bulb available on both Amazon and eBay... many shipped directly from China. I found that both color temp numbers(deg Kelvin) and lumens claimed were mostly fictional... each bulb manufacturer did their own thing and there was no relationship between various manufacturer's numbers and lumens and warmth or coolness of the light given off. Buyer beware! I ended up purchasing all my bulbs directly from China, @ $3.99. All are still going strong after 2 years.
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:10 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
The brightness descriptions I've seen, seem kind of useless. White, bright white, super white, warm white. They are just words without much meaning as I can't seem to relate them to a scale. I guess I'll just have to experiment.
Thanks!
Actually there is a color difference. If you shine a white light on a colored object, it will look a little different than if you shined a warm white lite.

Incandescent bulbs are considered "Warm White". Fluorescent tubes are usually whiter (and brighter).
People say incandescent bulbs give a softer light.

Try one of each and decide which you prefer.

Dan
Old 07-18-2015, 03:04 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Actually there is a color difference. If you shine a white light on a colored object, it will look a little different than if you shined a warm white lite.
Yes, there's a difference. But I think what he's saying is that those are subjective terms that are used differently by different manufacturers, and are therefore pretty much meaningless when comparing different LEDs from different manufacturers. Bright White, Super White, Ultra White, etc are just marketing terms with no official industry standard definition. Even Warm White, Cool White, etc will vary from one manufacturer to another.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:48 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Thanks!
Those are not brightness, they are Color (Which is why they are meaningless to you) I like Cool White (Which is white) as opposed to Warm White (pale yellow)

The indication of brighteness is LUMENS

And another important number is an angle (IS it a spot light or a flood light)

One thing I notice when I compare lamnps (120 volt type) in the store.

A CFL intended to replace a 100 watt Incandascent lamp will give about the same amount of light as a real 100 watt Bulb

But an LED 100 watt replacement is closer to a 60 watt
Old 07-19-2015, 09:01 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

The RVledbulbs.com site has some helpful documents explaining things like color temperature, bulb bases, etc.

Light colors, Kelvin and Lumens

Led vs incandescent cross-reference

Incandescent bulb bases, lumens, and lifetimes

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led