Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looking for manual awning similar to Dometic 9100

My awning died this past weekend. It was an A&E Two-Step awning. It rained almost non-stop from Friday night through Saturday night while we were camping. While the "Automatic Rain Dump" feature kind of worked it never gets all the rain off the awning. There's still probably 20 gallons left. To dump the rest of the rain I had to pull down on the rear arm and the rest of the water drains. On Saturday night just before going inside I pulled down the arm and the roller tube flew in pretty fast almost all the way to the coach. This caused the FRONT arm to break and the front of the tube fell and slammed into the coach. In the end I tore the fabric in numerous spots, bent the arms and supports, and somehow jammed the lock-lever on the end of the tube. I managed to flip the switch with pliers and with the help of two friends we retracted the awning and stowed it.
The Two-Step awning has vertical channels mounted on the side of the coach. These channels accept the arms when the awning is retracted and stowed. I would like to replace my awning with another awning that uses similar channels because I do not want to have to patch holes on the side of my coach or have two bright stripes coming down the side of my coach from where the channels used to be. Both the Dometic 9100 and the Carefree Travel'r fit the bill but as far as I can tell, neither is offered in a MANUAL version.
Does anyone know of a manual awning that is designed similar to the 9100 or the Travel'r? I really don't want an electric awning. As far as I'm concerned, it's just another thing that can break. Thanks!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Elexwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
59 views and not a singe reply. I take that to mean there isn't a manual version of these awnings... crap...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elexwiz View Post
59 views and not a singe reply. I take that to mean there isn't a manual version of these awnings... crap...
Did you go check places like Camper World and what not on the net? Thinking you could at least see the different flavors out there to get an idea of.

I have my first automatic one - I too am curious to see how it will hold up. My last one was manual and I gave it hell...still was functional when I sold the TT.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, I did internet research for 3 days prior to posting. I've been to sites like Awning Outpost, Camping World, PPL, RV Awnings Online, RV Supply Warehouse, etc. I also visited 4 local RV service centers. All the service centers and the internet sites sell Carefree and/or Dometic. I did find two other manufacturers, Zip Dee and Girard, both of which are WELL outside my budget and needs for a 14 year old coach. Guess I'm getting a power awning or I'm going to learn to deal with "clean" stripes on my MH.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #5

I believe a standard Dometic awning of the same length will cover e same space as the 9100. Our coach is a 2000 model year and came with a manual awning. I left the lower anchor points in place when we installed our Dometic . The new auro awning covered the same space the original rails covered.
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:10 AM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check the A&E website, they still list the 9100 awning in both power and manual, they should fit right where your old one was. Mine is a 9100 manual, and has given me no trouble, but then I do roll it in if it's going to be heavy rain. That said, it's at a fairly steep angle & doesn't collect water anyway. I don't want to be outside in a heavy rain anyway.
bluegrasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrasser View Post
Check the A&E website, they still list the 9100 awning in both power and manual, they should fit right where your old one was. Mine is a 9100 manual, and has given me no trouble, but then I do roll it in if it's going to be heavy rain. That said, it's at a fairly steep angle & doesn't collect water anyway. I don't want to be outside in a heavy rain anyway.
I appreacite the help but I cannot find a manual option anywhere on the A&E/Dometic site. I'm looking here: If you click on the 9100 it only lists power as an option. Is there another place I should be looking? Thanks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #8

I think you want the 9000. Products - Dometic
Old 08-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailiff View Post
I think you want the 9000. Products - Dometic
He has rails like the 9100 already bolted to his RV.

Personally, I'd just buy the power one. I'm with you on the "one more thing to break" plan. It was the first thing to cross my mind when I saw it. The thing is, with the power option you can completely stow in 30 seconds, with exactly one walking trip down the length of the awning. I use my awning much more now.

There is also a bolt that can be removed, and a strap that slides into a notch that makes the awning manual. You can stow and deploy again manually if needed. The intension is to use this as an emergency plan, but I wonder if you couldn't use it for a season if the motor dies?

20 gallons of water? Thats north of 160# of water. If the A&E would hold that, I can see why you are carefully considering a replacement. With a good diet I could have used it for a hammock.
Adaycj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:50 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaycj View Post

Personally, I'd just buy the power one. I'm with you on the "one more thing to break" plan. It was the first thing to cross my mind when I saw it. The thing is, with the power option you can completely stow in 30 seconds, with exactly one walking trip down the length of the awning. I use my awning much more now.

There is also a bolt that can be removed, and a strap that slides into a notch that makes the awning manual. You can stow and deploy again manually if needed. The intension is to use this as an emergency plan, but I wonder if you couldn't use it for a season if the motor dies?

20 gallons of water? Thats north of 160# of water. If the A&E would hold that, I can see why you are carefully considering a replacement. With a good diet I could have used it for a hammock.
I was guessing at 20 gallons. All I know is there was a huge bulge of water left on the awning AFTER the "water shed"! I might have over-estimated.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaycj View Post
I know he has 9100 rails installed. He asked for a manual awning similar to the 9100. The 8000, 8500, and 9000 are similar as to the side rail location. The manual A&E awnings require a top bracket on each side rail to be lag screwed into the RV above the c channel as well as anchor points below the rails.
I had an old manual 8500 awning replaced with a 9100 at my wife's request. If I have to go back to a manual, it should require no drilling or filling.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Currently, my Two-Step is lag-bolted at the top of each arm just below the c-channel. Then it is riveted at the bottom of each arm to the coach. The distance between the upper and lower mounting holes is approx 64".

According to the 8000/8500/9000 installation instructions you can choose to mount the top bracket above or below the c-channel. I was planning to buy a 9000 Plus and mount the top brackets in the same location as the current Two-Step bracket.

As for the arms, I will order the short-arm kit to allow me to mount the Bottom Wall Bracket in the same location as the current rivets on the Two-Step arm. I'm pretty sure the screw holes will be further apart on the Bottom Wall Bracket but I can fill the existing holes and use a piece of rubber to cover them. This will keep them out of sight and protected from the weather.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry, I've been away for a couple of days. but if you click on the Awning Catalog Link on the right side of the web link you sent me, you will find 9100 in both power and manual.
bluegrasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrasser View Post
We replaced the original awning on our 2001 Adventurer with the manual version of the Dometic 9100. It was a direct fit. The awning fit the channel perfectly and the brackets used the same holes as the originals. We ordered it from Camping World about this time of year. They just happened to be on sale so the price was right.

Our lower arm mounts were held in place by lag screws rather than rivets. It took the technician less than 1/2 an hour to remove the old hardware and install the new awning.

Tags
awning, dometic, manual