Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2018, 10:28 AM   #1

Looking for tips on LPG leak/non operating issue

Howdy,

One of a few issues with service shop, but this is the one I need the most help with.

Had coach in for a list of maintenance check ups and fixes.

Tech says LPG sys has a leak and it's the regulator. I was away on work so told them to go ahead with the replacement.

I took the coach from the shop few weeks later and had the LPG tank filled. Guy says, hey I smell a leak, so I turned off the tank, and I could only get your tank 3/4 full.

I can smell a light leak at the regulator, but cannot find it with soapy water. Nothing LPG inside the coach works, and not a hint of LPG coming through at all to stove.

For the coach stuff not working I'm guessing the LPG sniffer shut off the gas? I can't fathom why the tank could only be filled 3/4, and I cannot find the leak. Maybe it's the new regulator?

Regardless I'm pretty miffed at the shop, who installs something new and doesn't do a ops check!?

Service shop promises to take it back and find out, but I'm fairly fed up and don't want them touching anything else. They had the coach 45 days and did less than half of what they were supposed to. With plenty of time knowing when I needed the coach back. Said they couldn't find new HWH springs, which I found in 30 seconds. I'm away on work right now so I don't have the coach in front of me, but I might be able to ask someone to trouble shoot.

Any tips would be appreciated.

TIA
jodibamcis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2018, 11:58 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Propane tanks can only be filled to 75 to 80 percent. Have to allow for gas expansion.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:01 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Is this on a motorhome? It would be really helpful if you added your year and coach manufacturer/model to your signature line.

All propane tanks have an OPD (overfill protection device) that prevents getting it 100% full. 3/4 of stated capacity seems about right. Motorhome tanks also use a vapor vent system when filling. If the propane guy isn't familiar with the system, he will never get it full and failure to close the valve completely will leave you with a slight leak. Check the vapor vent valve.

The other things that leak are the line from the tank to the regulator (high pressure line). Do you still get the smell when the tank is shut off?

If you still have problems with your shop, take it to a propane dealer. They can find the leak, repair/replace any piece that is causing the problem, generally do it for less.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Is this on a motorhome? It would be really helpful if you added your year and coach manufacturer/model to your signature line.

All propane tanks have an OPD (overfill protection device) that prevents getting it 100% full. 3/4 of stated capacity seems about right. Motorhome tanks also use a vapor vent system when filling. If the propane guy isn't familiar with the system, he will never get it full and failure to close the valve completely will leave you with a slight leak. Check the vapor vent valve.

The other things that leak are the line from the tank to the regulator (high pressure line). Do you still get the smell when the tank is shut off?

If you still have problems with your shop, take it to a propane dealer. They can find the leak, repair/replace any piece that is causing the problem, generally do it for less.
He posted in a motor home forum. Probably is about a motor home.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post

Thanks, I think I like the propane dealer option the best. The leak goes away with the valve closed, I'll go through and check the vent. Appreciate the tips!
jodibamcis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:27 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I would buy one of the electronic propane detectors and give the system a good sniffing!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I would buy one of the electronic propane detectors and give the system a good sniffing!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Thanks!
Old 05-20-2018, 01:44 PM   #8
Community Moderator

check the threads going-in and out of regulator.

i had a leak from the regulator - over a period of time when i was nearby i noticed the smell. next time when i went to fill up the propane tank, i told the guy at the pump. the guy sprayed soupy water to the joints and found the leak at the thread going into the regulator. he took it apart, yellow teflon taped and put it back on. he was a very nice young guy and he didn't charge me for doing that. i left him a handsome tip.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:21 PM   #9

End to the story;

When Camping World installed the new regulator they also installed a new sniffer. This sniffer did not have the manual switch like my old one. Which is why I could not figure out the issue. Took it to Jim's RV in St George and the tech figured it out for me. All better now!

Thanks everyone for the help.

Tags
leak