Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2018, 05:59 PM   #1

Looking To Replace Air Mattress

We have a Lippert power bed with two two-chamber air mattress in our 2016 Itasca Suncruiser. (For those unfamiliar the bed must be retracted in order for the slide out room to be pulled in.When the bed is retracted it transitions from flat to an 'L' position.)

Towards the end of our last winter trip one side of the bed kept slowly losing air. I traced the problem to a faulty connector at the pump and had my shop replace it a few weeks ago and the motorhome went to storage.Today I found that the same side of the bed was essentially flat.I pumped it up and over the next hour it slowly lost air.

I'm tired of futzing with this and would like to replace the air mattress with a residential style. I called Tuft & Needle (T&N) and asked about their mattresses but when I explained the application including the need for the mattress to bend daily and to sometimes remain in that retracted position for weeks and months at a time T&N expressed doubts that their mattresses would withstand that sort of punishment.The rep told me that the T&N mattresses can be folded for occasional short periods of time but have never been tested for anything more than that.She was concerned that the material would not hold up with the daily motion and long periods of storage.That won't work for us since we retract the bed everyday we're on the road to provide easier access to the closets and drawers even when we're parked for weeks at a time.The air mattress we have weighs ~ 75-lbs; the replacement T&N would weight ~ 72-lbs so the weight is not really an issue.

Two things...

- Has anyone used a T&N mattress in a similar application, retracting it daily or for long periods of time? If so what was your experience?How well did it hold up?

- Is anyone using a different brand/mfg of residential style mattress on a Lippert retracting power bed? If so what was your experience?How well did it hold up?

Also would entertain any other relevant comments or suggestions.

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2018, 11:39 AM   #2

Why not use a foam mattress?
Old 09-20-2018, 01:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cseidel View Post
Why not use a foam mattress?
concerned about how well it would hold up being folded every day while out on the road and for 5-months when we're back home. that's why I'm hoping to hear from someone who has actually used a resi mattress in that manner.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:54 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
From page 3 of the Winnebago forum:

We got one in our 2017 Adventurer - a king size model. I know you asked about a leak, but I'd suggest another idea.

We hated ours from day one. It was not only uncomfortable and difficult to find a setting we could live with, but one day the folding bed "lift" pinched the remote wires and one side- my side - didn't work at all.

The remote wires is an Ethernet cable. Which is 6 tiny wires and I had to cut and solder all six before the thing would work again.

It's one thing to be uncomfortable and another yet entirely when it won't work. A mattress just lies there. It doesn't need remotes and wires and pumps, etc. It simply works. Period.

So, we pulled the whole thing out and bought a "Leesa" mattress to replace it. It's one of half a dozen foam-style mattresses that is shipped in a box. So, it's easy to buy and easy to install in the RV. We like our Leesa mattress but there are other options so you'd have to do your own search.

The Ideal Rest mattress in our RV was an RV King. It's the width of a California King and the length of a standard king. We went with the Cali King and it was a tad too long. But WBGO had installed a 2" foam bolster between the back wall and the mattress. It was held in with 4 little wood screws. We unscrewed and removed that and the mattress fits perfectly. No remotes, wires, or pumps.
HUGHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:55 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGHP View Post
Any issue folding the mattress while bringing in the slide?
No, it's working fine. The Leesa says it works with "adjustable foundations" and we've not had any significant issues.

The lamps on our RV have a very sharp plate behind the lamp that sits proud of the wall by about an inch. When folding up the bed lift to bring in the slide I noticed that the new mattress touched the bottom of that aluminum plate. When the bed was all made up it pretty much glided right past the sharp edge. When it wasn't made up the mattress cover is a thick weave and I was concerned it might tear a little or get caught. Not that I ever noticed it doing so.

So, I raised the lamps exactly 1" as a preventative - more to ease my mind than anything. The lamp "base" hides the mounting holes so raising it an inch didn't show as the base still hides the screw holes.

We've used it for 6 months now and no issues.

I don't know if it's true or not - really don't - but someone said that Winnebago owns part or all of the company that makes the Ideal Rest air beds. That's why they use them on so many of their coaches. Even the brand new modern design Horizon uses the Ideal Rest mattress.
04 Honda CRV
HUGHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:33 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
We have a Lippert power bed with two two-chamber air mattress in our 2016 Itasca Suncruiser. (For those unfamiliar the bed must be retracted in order for the slide out room to be pulled in.When the bed is retracted it transitions from flat to an 'L' position.)

Towards the end of our last winter trip one side of the bed kept slowly losing air. I traced the problem to a faulty connector at the pump and had my shop replace it a few weeks ago and the motorhome went to storage.Today I found that the same side of the bed was essentially flat.I pumped it up and over the next hour it slowly lost air.

I'm tired of futzing with this and would like to replace the air mattress with a residential style. I called Tuft & Needle (T&N) and asked about their mattresses but when I explained the application including the need for the mattress to bend daily and to sometimes remain in that retracted position for weeks and months at a time T&N expressed doubts that their mattresses would withstand that sort of punishment.The rep told me that the T&N mattresses can be folded for occasional short periods of time but have never been tested for anything more than that.She was concerned that the material would not hold up with the daily motion and long periods of storage.That won't work for us since we retract the bed everyday we're on the road to provide easier access to the closets and drawers even when we're parked for weeks at a time.The air mattress we have weighs ~ 75-lbs; the replacement T&N would weight ~ 72-lbs so the weight is not really an issue.

Two things...

- Has anyone used a T&N mattress in a similar application, retracting it daily or for long periods of time? If so what was your experience?How well did it hold up?

- Is anyone using a different brand/mfg of residential style mattress on a Lippert retracting power bed? If so what was your experience?How well did it hold up?

Also would entertain any other relevant comments or suggestions.

Thanks.

I'm looking at the Nectar (https://sleepsherpa.com/mattress-reviews/). Have looked at many over the past several months. This is the one I have finally settled on. (No pun intended.)
Old 09-27-2018, 10:58 AM   #7

just completed a chat with Nectar about their mattress. like Tuft & Needle Nectar will not warrant their mattress if it is flexed daily and/or stored in the retracted position for months at a time. They said that their mattress has not been tested to those conditions and cannot predict how it will hold up.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:44 AM   #8

Contact "Foam by Mail" and give them the dimentions you need and they will fix you up.
My queen size in their Lux Foam was about $130.00 shipped. You would probably want yours made with something less firm though.
Rollinghobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:05 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ne mattress arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollinghobo View Post
Contact "Foam by Mail" and give them the dimentions you need and they will fix you up.
My queen size in their Lux Foam was about $130.00 shipped. You would probably want yours made with something less firm though.
We got the Nectar on Tuesday. It came in a big blue duffel type cover that was water resistant. With that removed, we found another duffel cover. Once removed we were at the mattress retainer wrap. A envelope cutter type tool was included for zipping through the heavy plastic film sleeve. Then we had to remove a thin plastic sheet as the mattress started to expand. We did this on top of the old mattress. (We do live in a RV after all.) When we went to bed we put the mattress on the floor in the living room. It needed 24 hrs to expand.
In the morning we disassembled the old (very uncomfortable) air mattress system, removed the pump and put the new mattress on the bed.
A side note: Yes, the mattress is a bit heavy and awkward when expended but DW and I managed it just fine.
We slept on it last night. It is not "plush" and not really firm, as in hard, but firm as in conforming with resistance.

This morning I woke with reduced back pain, didn't wake throughout the night sweating and hot, and DW didn't wake me with her snoring. (She is still sleeping.)

As we understand it, the bed should soften some over the next couple of weeks.
The pillow that came with it seemed fine last night. DW didn't change hers yet.
When lifting the bed for access under it the mattress seemed to flex just fine. I don't see how this mattress could be harmed with daily flexing or even long term storage folded. It's not as if it is being compressed to the shipping point.
So far, night one, I am a rested happy camper.
Rick
Old 11-02-2018, 08:02 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
update on rest quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
We got the Nectar on Tuesday. It came in a big blue duffel type cover that was water resistant. With that removed, we found another duffel cover. Once removed we were at the mattress retainer wrap. A envelope cutter type tool was included for zipping through the heavy plastic film sleeve. Then we had to remove a thin plastic sheet as the mattress started to expand. We did this on top of the old mattress. (We do live in a RV after all.) When we went to bed we put the mattress on the floor in the living room. It needed 24 hrs to expand.
In the morning we disassembled the old (very uncomfortable) air mattress system, removed the pump and put the new mattress on the bed.
A side note: Yes, the mattress is a bit heavy and awkward when expended but DW and I managed it just fine.
We slept on it last night. It is not "plush" and not really firm, as in hard, but firm as in conforming with resistance.

This morning I woke with reduced back pain, didn't wake throughout the night sweating and hot, and DW didn't wake me with her snoring. (She is still sleeping.)

As we understand it, the bed should soften some over the next couple of weeks.
The pillow that came with it seemed fine last night. DW didn't change hers yet.
When lifting the bed for access under it the mattress seemed to flex just fine. I don't see how this mattress could be harmed with daily flexing or even long term storage folded. It's not as if it is being compressed to the shipping point.
So far, night one, I am a rested happy camper.
Rick

We can now say, after a month, the Nectar is not as comfortable as we found at first. I think we are going to sent it back. We will be settled for a few months soon and then we will choose another brand and have the Nectar picked up.
Nothing ventured, Nothing gained, All is good.
We are finding the mattress to firm and unforgiving. I feel as if I am being pushed or leaned against, if this makes sense. I don't feel 'received' or cuddled into the mattress. Again, hard to describe what it is like laying on it.
Will post again when we have another brand chosen.

Tags
ace, air, mattress, replace