Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2012, 02:35 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Loss of Aux Power

I just had my 2010 Discovery full service for the chassis and the onan qd 8000. Brought her home let her sit for a couple of days and the batteries had discharged to about 50%. I was able to start the rig and also started the generator to run the AC's as it was about 90 degrees and the DW, kids and I were going to go clean the tanks and do some shopping at camping world. Within a few minutes the generator dies and I completely lost all auxilary power in the house including the instrumentation for the generator, power control center etc. I restarted the generator several times but it kept dying after 2-10 minutes each time with or without the engine running. I spoke to a tech at service dept. at the dealer and he said the generator will not run without the 12 volts from the chassis. Being the chassis batteries were below that and after I got them charged up the generator stopped dying, it would seem he is right. My question is why? Why should the generator be dependent on a charge from the chassis to keep running. I could see the necessity for a charge to start it, but once its running shouldn't it be independent?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ask Onan while you are waiting for some replies.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #3

On a car engine the battery is esentially only needed to start the engine. Once its started the alternator provides the 12V needed to operate everything. The generator doesn't have an alternator, it's just an engine turning a generator to make 120 VAC. It still needs 12 VDC for all its control circuits, fuel pump etc.

If it won't budge, hit it harder or get a bigger hammer.
RLKBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbaggs View Post
I just had my 2010 Discovery full service for the chassis and the onan qd 8000. Brought her home let her sit for a couple of days and the batteries had discharged to about 50%. I was able to start the rig and also started the generator to run the AC's as it was about 90 degrees and the DW, kids and I were going to go clean the tanks and do some shopping at camping world. Within a few minutes the generator dies and I completely lost all auxilary power in the house including the instrumentation for the generator, power control center etc. I restarted the generator several times but it kept dying after 2-10 minutes each time with or without the engine running. I spoke to a tech at service dept. at the dealer and he said the generator will not run without the 12 volts from the chassis. Being the chassis batteries were below that and after I got them charged up the generator stopped dying, it would seem he is right. My question is why? Why should the generator be dependent on a charge from the chassis to keep running. I could see the necessity for a charge to start it, but once its running shouldn't it be independent?
These symptoms seem to point to 1 or more bad chassis batteries. I would have them checked first and replace if found to be bad. If that doesn't cure the problem more intense troubleshooting will be necessary.
To directly answer your question the diesel genset does require power to the fuel solenoid and whatever ecm it has. Some electrical systems will allow the engine to run without a battery connected, (or bad battery) some won't. Depends on how it's wired. You may find some in depth diagnostic and troubleshooting info on the cummins/onan site. Maybe this will help until a real mechanic shows up.

Cheers
PeelOttaHere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power