Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-27-2011, 11:06 PM   #15
My Suncruiser is a Workhorse powered by Vortec 8100 GM.

kcaravelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2011, 11:10 PM   #16
Originally Posted by kcaravelli View Post
I can't thank Chuck and Marlene Presser of Chuck's RV in Silverlake enough for their hospitality. They saw that our brakes were out and let us stay on their property for several days as we worked through this. They are super people and we are very grateful for their kind hospitality. We were really in a jam since we both work full time and had to navigate the logistics of living on their Alpaca farm while we were quite a long ways from home.
I think we need to support RV shops that go this far out of the way to help us fellow RV people. Here is the li<x>nk to Chuck's shop: Chuck's RV Parts and Service
Keith and Elaine Caravelli
Kirkland, WA
Chuck's RV is in Lake Stevens, WA not Silverlake. Sorry Chuck.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:12 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I have no intention of depending on a parking brake to stop a motorhome. I think the point here is being missed entirely by several people.
The fact is, I was unaware that the parking brake was an option at all in an emergency. I would have not even conisered it on a MH as I would think of it as a car brake as you mentioned.
Now however, it is one more albeit small but useful tool in an emergency to use with skill and caution so as not to lock up the wheels.
Good ponts but remember there was not brake at all at one point and if the parking brake is all I had to work with along with downshifting...I would by all means use and use it carefully.
Excellent points which I agree might have been missed. If my pedal ever goes to the floor I want to already know every possible thing I can do to slow my coach... even a little bit.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:01 AM   #18
If you use the emergency brake properly, the truck mechanic who explained this to me felt that I should normally be able to slow down the coach significantly with this brake. It operates completely independent of the brakes on the wheels. It is supposed to have quite a lot of stopping power. Kirkland, WA
I don't think we missed your point that the parking brake was only another option that could be used in an emergency. We were trying to explain that the stopping power it could provide is minimal. The mechanics statement is optomistic to say the least. I doubt that the parking brake could make much of a difference at any speed faster than slow roll.

There have been numerous posts in the past about people who didn't realize the brake was on when they started driving. In several of those posts the brake shoes and the drum were destroyed beyond repair. All this damage happened and the operator wasn't even aware that the brake was engaged so don't expect it to provide much stopping power.
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #19
Very interesting point about parking brake being fried without knowing about.