Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2007, 05:39 AM   #1
RDK

It sounds as if the front hood over the generator is vibrating. It is so loud you can not speak to another person while driving with out yelling.

Sport Coach Elite DP
RDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2007, 05:39 AM   #2
RDK

It sounds as if the front hood over the generator is vibrating. It is so loud you can not speak to another person while driving with out yelling.

Sport Coach Elite DP
Old 11-24-2007, 05:45 AM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
Welcome aboard the forum. Now there are some darn smart folks here for sure but a little bit more information might get you more replies.

This is a great place and we are just a big happy bunch (most of the time ) Please join in and help us make this forum the best RV group on the internet.

doc
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:57 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
RDK, welcome to iRV2.

Please post what kind of motorhome and generator you have.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:10 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If the coach is a gas puller, it could be the front grill vibrating. If you have some small twine, you may try tying the louvers together and see if it stops the noise.
If it is a diesel pusher, could you have a loose cover?
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
RDK

The coach is an 05 Sport Coach Elite. I reallty like the rig. The service dept leave much to be desired.

Sport Coach Elite DP
Old 11-24-2007, 11:19 AM   #7
RDK

It is a diesel pusher. 350 Cummins

Sport Coach Elite DP
Old 11-25-2007, 01:38 AM   #8

How is the front tire wear? Could also be alignment, wheel balance, out of round, wheel bearings or wind. You could try to block the grill to rule out wind and do a visual on the tires.

Does it pull to one side or the other?
Old 11-26-2007, 08:47 PM   #9

What does it "sound" like? Sheet metal vibrating? Go in there and bang on the genset to see if you can reproduce it. On the Meridian there is a shield (don't know for what) directly behind the generator that would get to vibrating pretty loudly till I moved it off the generator cover. This was only when running the genset, but vibration is vibration.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:41 AM   #10

we had a similar problem with our brand new Hurricane took a trip and the front windshield blew out Four Winds fixed it but cost us our vacation. at least now we can talk to each other by the way our noise started about the same speed as yours and blew out after about 3000 miles
Chuck Linn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:06 PM   #11

I had a similar problem once with a Bounder. I found after much fooling around, the grill bars were vibrating in the oncoming air. At about 45 this set up a weird harmonics that about drove us nuts. I put rubber grommets in between the bars at both ends of the grill and sure enough the noise and harmonics stopped. Just my $.02 it is worth what you paid for it.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:44 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ahh, Folks, This is a fiberglass Sportcoach! A top of the line 40' Diesel pusher and a wild vibration like that sounds like a drive line problem. One other thing could be a unbolted motor mount! Or maybe a broken mount or bolt?? You said it is a "05" model Do you have any ideas as to what if anything they were fixing or any repairs?? I saw where you said there service was bad, So I am wondering, What they forgot?? Some history would help too! Is this the first time you drove this coach or did you buy it new??? How many miles?? Why was it put in the shop?? Still hard to figure out as yet! Need more info,
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:15 AM   #13

I have a Sportscoach Cross Country SE. When I first bought mine, I had such a noise. After a little driving & lots of thinking about it, I found lots of expandable foam in the area of the bulkhead under the front cap. I noticed also that a couple of areas, that looked like they should have had the foam, did not (specifically on mine, an opening right in front of the drivers side front wheel). The sount was fiberglass vibrating. When I called the factory, the said they had inadvertently failed to fill that opening. It could be a similar failure in your case. I filled it myself. aits a lot more enjoyable to drive in silence. Good luck!
Woodpeckertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:23 AM   #14

My Bounder also had a nasty noise above 50mph. It turned out to be a loose license plate. The airflow would cause it vibrate. That vibration transfered into the front cap and became very loud. I used my electric leaf blower to find it. Just blow on the various areas on the front cap and see if you can replicate the noise.
Bounder 33R is offline   Reply With Quote