Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2012, 02:55 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Low Bridge

News item from WFAA TV in Dallas HERE

I drive under that 13' 6" bridge at 360 and Division on the way to DFW, have actually seen a tractor-trailer parked by it, the rooftop peeled off and hanging off the rear like a wrinkled gum wrapper. Remember those signs!!

Notice the bent pallet edge, on the back of the generator carried on the second trailer. Wow.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It's not enough to remember the signs, they should also know the actual height of their vehicle or/and vehicle with load.

Regular trailer boxcars are 13' 6". A bridge sign saying 13' 6" and a vehicle that is 13' 6", well, you hope like the devil that someone did not drop a 1" x 12' board on the highway. Not much tolerance then.

We have one bridge in this area on the way to Galveston on Hwy 146. It is 13' 7" and it has lights that will come on if a vehicle is higher than that, and there is a turnaround.

Thanks for the picture (link), and information on 360. If I'm leaving the Interstate Highway system, I always check AITA on-line for the route I'm going to take.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a bridge that connects Texas and Louisianna over the Sabine river on State road 63 TX and 8 LA about 17 miles west of Leesville, LA. that is only 12' 3". It has warning signs for miles before the bridge.

I have crossed it 2 times in my 12' tall Hurricane. I think it is really higher in the middle but has corner gussets that are only 12' 3". First time really slow, just to be sure.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a link to the American Independent Truckers Assocaition - low clearanences

AITA On Line
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We had just driven about a hundred miles in Canada a couple of years ago and I came roaring off a Provincial Highway exit that wrapped very tightly to the right onto a small town road and about 400' in front of me was a low railroad overpass labeled in meters.

In that instance I forgot everything I ever knew about converting meters to feet. Thank God for air-brakes.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are several things you need to know.

One, when the sign says 13'6" it may mean in the center of the span, or on the left lane, or right lane, only.

Two: If they just re-surfaced the road, 13'6" may be 13'2".

Three, it may also be the lowest point on the bridge.

Four: The real height of your house on wheels.

I have driven my rig, advertised height 12'6" under a bridge with the same advertised height.. and came out unscathed.. I run on the maximum vehicle weight side of the scale though so my actualy height.. A bit lower.

Still........ I would rather not go under that bridge again.