Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #1

I knew I was going to have to replace my house batteries soon, but waited too long. As we usually never boondock, but plug in at a campground.
Coming home from camping this afternoon, it was hot so we ran the genset to power the roof air.
The ac ran for about five minutes and powered off. Then started up again and shut down a second time.
The generator kept running but I checked my house battery meter and it showed no charge at all.

Is the genset supposed to be able to run the ac independently, or will it not work with discharged batteries?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #2

I knew I was going to have to replace my house batteries soon, but waited too long. As we usually never boondock, but plug in at a campground.
Coming home from camping this afternoon, it was hot so we ran the genset to power the roof air.
The ac ran for about five minutes and powered off. Then started up again and shut down a second time.
The generator kept running but I checked my house battery meter and it showed no charge at all.

Is the genset supposed to be able to run the ac independently, or will it not work with discharged batteries?

Old 06-29-2008, 03:14 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Your house batteries are charged with 12V from the converter. The converter is supplied 120V from the generator or shore power. You could throw the batteries out except they're needed to start the generator. Check the circuit breakers ON the generator and for loose connections. Check that you are getting 120V by turning on a 120V light.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:11 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
gospelbike, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences.
It does sound like you need to start at replacing the batteries. If shorted out they could even blow the fuse(s) on the convertor charger. You need 12 volt DC for almost all appliance controls; the air conditioner is included. As long as the converter charger could supply this, you could limp by, once you loose the charger/converter you have no control voltage to operate the air conditioner in this case. I would suggest you install new batteries & check the convertor for blown fuses or triped ciruit breaker in the 120 volt AC distribution panel. Drain the battery bank down a litle; check the voltage of battery bank with out power applied, plug in or start generator and remeasure the voltage at the battery bank. You should see an increase in voltage (13.8 approx.) if the charger is working. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #5

Another problem I have experienced is when the batteries are low, the generator still supplies the inverter/charger. Well that charger can suck 30 or better amps trying to charge the batteries. I now have a Link 1000, made by Xantrex which allows me to see the amps used and alows me to actually program the shared charging amps. I have a 7500W genset, if I want to use both A/C's and the wife wants to use the Microwave at the same time AND the batteries are low, I will lower the shared amps to the charger to 5 until the batteries demand less or she has finished her speed cooking.

Happy travels,
Sparetire