Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
davemansmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 14
Low Voltage Disconnect Device

im looking for a low voltage disconnect for my house battery that would fully disconnect the house battery if they got below 11.5.

i just replace the house battery with 2 new agm 198ah and would like to protect them from getting too low.

also will be putting on 3 solar panels to keep them charged
__________________

__________________
2000 Monaco Diplomat
davemansmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
dons2346's Avatar
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,483
Google "low battery cutoff" and you will see lots of info. Even Amazon sells cutoffs.
__________________

__________________
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
LVJ58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemansmi View Post
im looking for a low voltage disconnect for my house battery that would fully disconnect the house battery if they got below 11.5.

i just replace the house battery with 2 new agm 198ah and would like to protect them from getting too low.

also will be putting on 3 solar panels to keep them charged

I'm a bit confused, if you will have solar panels, why would you need an automatic disconnect?

Your solar panels should keep your batteries fully charged, maintaining an overnight voltage of 12.7v+ unless there's a load on your house batteries.

We have one, 110w solar panel on our coach and during the daylight hours charge rate is 14.1v and when batteries are fully charged, the charge amperage drops to 2-2.5amps. The overnight house battery voltage holds at around 12.86v.

Good luck and safe travels...
__________________
Jim & SherrySeward

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
BCooke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58

I'm a bit confused, if you will have solar panels, why would you need an automatic disconnect?

Your solar panels should keep your batteries fully charged, maintaining an overnight voltage of 12.7v+ unless there's a load on your house batteries.

We have one, 110w solar panel on our coach and during the daylight hours charge rate is 14.1v and when batteries are fully charged, the charge amperage drops to 2-2.5amps. The overnight house battery voltage holds at around 12.86v.

Good luck and safe travels...
Ever run a propane heater blower.....
__________________
2017 F350 Lariat Diesel Dually, White, Hitch Kit.
2013 Dutchman Voltage 3200 Epic II 5th wheel.
BCooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
LVJ58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
Ever run a propane heater blower.....

No, just the blower on our propane furnace, not sure I understand the point of your post--sorry
__________________
Jim & SherrySeward

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:29 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
davemansmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
I'm a bit confused, if you will have solar panels, why would you need an automatic disconnect?

Your solar panels should keep your batteries fully charged, maintaining an overnight voltage of 12.7v+ unless there's a load on your house batteries.

We have one, 110w solar panel on our coach and during the daylight hours charge rate is 14.1v and when batteries are fully charged, the charge amperage drops to 2-2.5amps. The overnight house battery voltage holds at around 12.86v.

Good luck and safe travels...
We are planning on doing some long stay boondocking and going to put the refrigerator on a inverter to save on propane. But i do not want to run the battery dead so the cut off would turn off power and switch it to propane.
__________________
2000 Monaco Diplomat
davemansmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:32 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
BCooke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58

No, just the blower on our propane furnace, not sure I understand the point of your post--sorry
Blower motors eat ah from the battery. Cold nights = dead battery (In my case)
__________________
2017 F350 Lariat Diesel Dually, White, Hitch Kit.
2013 Dutchman Voltage 3200 Epic II 5th wheel.
BCooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 214
I would want the disconnect to shut down before 11.5 volts. I think if the voltage drops this low too many times a 12 volt. Battery will have a short life. Lots of information on this on the web. If you are using the 6 volt GC batteries 11.5 should be OK.
__________________
texkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
LVJ58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemansmi View Post
We are planning on doing some long stay boondocking and going to put the refrigerator on a inverter to save on propane. But i do not want to run the battery dead so the cut off would turn off power and switch it to propane.
OK, now I understand, your plan definitely makes sense..

Thanks for the explanation and Best of luck...
__________________
Jim & SherrySeward

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
LVJ58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
Blower motors eat ah from the battery. Cold nights = dead battery (In my case)
OK, understood, thanks.

So far, we haven't run into that problem as the 4 6v batts in our coach seem to have held up pretty well on the rare occasions we've boondocked and had to use the furnace...
__________________
Jim & SherrySeward

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
davemansmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by texkayaker View Post
I would want the disconnect to shut down before 11.5 volts. I think if the voltage drops this low too many times a 12 volt. Battery will have a short life. Lots of information on this on the web. If you are using the 6 volt GC batteries 11.5 should be OK.
i put in 2 12v AGM 198 amp hours (absorbed glass mat) may put in 2 more if i find that im using up too much of them at night or get in a place that we don't get a lot of sunlight for a few day for more storage. im just in the start of my testing and have about 4 mo before we start off on our trip. just want to make sure everything works here before get out on the road.

11.5 is the cutoff that im looking for but need a cutoff that will be able to handle the amps of all of the batteries and would go in line with the large power cable going to the inverter.

i may not ever need the cut off but just like to have it there just in case with batteries that are over $400 each just dont want to give them a short life!!
__________________
2000 Monaco Diplomat
davemansmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 11
PriorityStart Battery Saver - Stop Dead Batteries on Cars & Boats [Priority Start! Battery Protector]
__________________
WejaZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
davemansmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 14
look like that would cut the power but would reconnect with Any load transient of 0.2mv (millivolts)

need something that would cut the power and only turn it back when the battery are charge back up.
__________________
2000 Monaco Diplomat
davemansmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
BCooke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,523
I will have to look when I get home. I have info on one that shuts down up to 250 amp load.
__________________

__________________
2017 F350 Lariat Diesel Dually, White, Hitch Kit.
2013 Dutchman Voltage 3200 Epic II 5th wheel.
BCooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.