Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2006, 02:33 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A dummy question from me. Is there nothing comparable available from an electricians supply outlet?

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2006, 01:14 AM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eandy:
A dummy question from me. Is there nothing comparable available from an electricians supply outlet? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps something along these lines?

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...mId=1612841469

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...mId=1612841547

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml...h&L1=Conditioners%2C

Regards,

Old 07-27-2006, 04:42 PM   #17

Don,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your question, we just got back from a trip.

Our Autoformer is not located in a true "vented" compartment, but it is in a large compartment and has a lot of air space around it. We also concour with Jim, better out of sight.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:10 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
[quote]Don,

As a fulltimmer, I have been in a lot of campgrounds.

I would strongly recomend that you mount it in a inside compartment. Most campgrounds do not allow the Hughes Auto Transformer's use.

Now That, I didn't know....I'll be doing some wireing this afternoon! Thanks for the heads up!
Old 07-28-2006, 08:27 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Could be that the CG where low voltage is being observed already have many users with autotransformers. They only function at the expense of others on the same branch circuits.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:00 PM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Posted July 28, 2006 12:27 PM
Could be that the CG where low voltage is being observed already have many users with autotransformers. They only function at the expense of others on the same branch circuits. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's interesting since the booklet that comes with the autoformer says it has no effect on the campground voltage at the post. I guess we need to discuss this.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:42 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tim,
check this link:
http://escapees.infopop.cc/groupee/f...61/m/258100048
Old 07-29-2006, 06:00 AM   #22

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Tim,
check this link:
http://escapees.infopop.cc/groupee/f...61/m/258100048 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that's what I call a discussion. Lots of pros and cons there. I burned up 2 circuit boards and 2 fan motors in less than a year, and I'll stick with the autoformer.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:33 AM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Most campgrounds do not allow the Hughes Auto Transformer's use. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now if that isn't the ultimate irony. The CG doesn't provide the proper voltage in the first place and then says that their lousy voltage cannot be altered in order to protect my electronics???? What is their preferred solution????

I honestly believe that they either need to fix the voltage problem, give me another site where the voltage isn't a problem or give me a refund so that I can move on. Of course, that is problably just too hard-headed of me......
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:50 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not too hard headed at all. None of them are going to be willing to pay for your damaged gear. Easier on your head tho to wear a steel helmet when discussing their bad power!!

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:14 AM   #25

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chasfm11:
Hi, Don. I take a fairly militant view on proper voltage electric in campgrounds. I view it kinda like hot water in a hotel room - I'm not willing to tolerate going without it.

My reasoning is pretty simple. In order for the voltage to drop low enough to cause a SurgeGuard to kick out, there is something HEbasically wrong with the wiring. Either there HELLae too many people trying to draw HEelectricity from a specific electrical Hbranch or there is a loose connection or other high resistance problem. Whatever kind of device you hang on the line to try to compensate for that problem, you are not doing anything be treating the symptoms. Worse yet, there is no guarantee that the basic problem isnt' going to exceed the Hugh's ability to cope with it. If you have had this problem in multiple CGs, it is possible the the problem is in your shore power connections and it is something that you should have looked at as soon as possible.

I advocate bringing low voltage situations to the attention of the CG manager. If they are unable or unwilling to do something about it right away, I advocate moving sites to another branch of the electrical system. Failing either of those, I'd want to move to a different CG all together. Trying to add devices to outguess electrical problems is not the path that I want to be on, but maybe that is just me.[/QUOTE hi my name is rick.....do not now to much about electric,....however i do own a georgie boy landau 2004 34 ft....how does your rig run.have you had any problems with the landau. thanks..............rick
Old 08-15-2006, 01:32 PM   #26

Got my coach back Friday and put the Hughs Autoformer to the test at home. Bottom line is that Florida Power daily and for hours on end is at less then 112 volts. I set up a digital meter in the RV and at the panel and the voltage drop is not caused by internal wireing but is coming from the service entering the panel.

I lost the transfer switch and external AC blower due to this low power situation. I will install the AutoFormer in the power bay ASAP.

Regards,
Old 08-15-2006, 03:43 PM   #27

I think you also have to look at the power co.,, with all the price increases in everything, I believe they're cutting back also,, noticed my Home power lower then its been in years...

2000 Ford Lightning
Houndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:13 AM   #28

Houndog may be correct. Although it is now well within range, the voltage here at home was very low a few years ago when California was going through that artificial power shortage created by Enron and others.