Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2005, 04:54 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Need Advice I have a 2003 Suncrusier 35U with a lp detector Pretel-21 Model 7770.2 I went to move motorhome and found the detector going off. I checked around and could not see any leaks. I used the soapy water trick on the fittings that I could see and found no leaks.
Then detector stoped beeping . I then checked today to find it beeping again. I am leaving for a 2 week vacation Wednesday, June 29th. I did top the batteries off. I wonder if this could have any thing to do with LP Detector ????

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2005, 04:54 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Need Advice I have a 2003 Suncrusier 35U with a lp detector Pretel-21 Model 7770.2 I went to move motorhome and found the detector going off. I checked around and could not see any leaks. I used the soapy water trick on the fittings that I could see and found no leaks.
Then detector stoped beeping . I then checked today to find it beeping again. I am leaving for a 2 week vacation Wednesday, June 29th. I did top the batteries off. I wonder if this could have any thing to do with LP Detector ????

Old 06-20-2005, 06:01 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

George, it could be a problem with the detector. Or it could be something esle setting it off.

The LP detector will go off with many products you commonly use in a rig. It detects several kinds of things that are combustable....

Many times with new rigs I have to "Air them out" for several days before the detector will quit sounding off. This is BEFORE I have even filled the propane tanks......

Before you go and buy another try airing the rig or well. Then see if it continues to sound off..

I see you already checked the fittings with soapy water. That was going to be another suggestion. Frige, stove, water heater, tank fittings and the like.

Hope this helps in some way.....

Don
Old 06-21-2005, 06:13 AM   #4

You may want to double check your batteries. Low batteries will cause the LP detector to go off (at least on mine it does).

Good luck on finding the problem before your trip.

Ron
Old 06-21-2005, 10:45 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

A detector can get contaminated with the residue of some products (hair spray is one culprit) and will tend to go off randomly thereafter. The dtector's sensor cannot be cleaned - the unit must be replaced. But try the "airing out" first - sometimes the materials & glues used in the coach will give off enough fumes as they dry out to set off the detector when it is closed up for awhile. Good quality waxes, e.g. carnuba wax, can do it too as the the softeners used in the wax evaporate over time. Battery gases leaking into the coach could also do it.

Other things that will set off an LP detector are alcohol-based sprays and solutions, many types of heavy duty cleaners or degreasers, most aerosol sprays, or anything with benzene or naptha in it.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 12:39 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Lysol spray will poison the LP detector's sensor. Don't ask me how I know!!

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 05:07 PM   #7

I had the same thing happen about 2 weeks ago. Went out to the MH and the LP detector was beeping, I had left something on and the batteries were all but dead. Plugged into shore power and charged the batteries and the beeping stopped. Hope yours is a simple fix.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:45 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I want to thank everyone for your responses. It was the batteries. I had two dead cells in one battery and one dead cell in the other. I bought two batteries yesterday and installed them. It has been 17 hours and the LP detector has not gone off.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:42 PM   #9

Something else that will make both my detectors beep is HIGH VOLTAGE. I use my propane detector while boondocking and bulk charging my batteries (straight from the panels to the batteries regulator switched out)to tell me when I have reached ABOUT 14.2 volts in the system.

Another thing a propane detector will do, if you use an AC to DC brick and are boodocking running off your inverter is beep if and when the inverter trips out momentarily. This is very useful, especially if you run your inverter with solar panels and or a wind generator.

David/zetron
Old 07-01-2005, 12:44 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Glad you got your problem solved.

Another possibility might have been any pets in the area. My dog used to lay right in the middle of the hall, which is also right in front of the LP detector. More than one time, I've been awakened out of a sound sleep by the detector going-off, only to find everything's fine. Finally realized methane is very very close to lp-gas in its chemical makeup.

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote