Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #1

LP Gas Alarm and Mountain Grades

Lurker here for a while, Can't find an answer to a mystery I've been having.

Whenever I'm going up a grade (6%), usually when the Transmission is in third, running about 3200 rpm, after about 4 minutes, my lp gas detector alarms...

After another 2 minutes or so, it will silence for another 4 minutes or so, then it goes off again...
rinse, repeat...

This is the only time it happens, lower grades are no problem, and I've never had an alarm, real or false since I've owned my MH..

I'm stumped as to what could be causing this... I do run with my refrigerator on, but I don't see how this could allow LP to enter the living space... I've never smelled LP during these episodes either...

Any Ideas would be most appreciated...
Richardk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wonder if you have some exhaust intrusion because your engine is working pretty hard and under some stress? Maybe getting some inside the coach? The venturi effect can draw fumes in or you could have a leak somewhere in the exhaust system.

Other than that you may just need to replace the LP detector. They go bad for the heck of it and if they sound off then the worse they get. A new one may not go off but I would do some more checking for exhaust gas.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42
I wonder if you have some exhaust intrusion because your engine is working pretty hard and under some stress? Maybe getting some inside the coach? The venturi effect can draw fumes in or you could have a leak somewhere in the exhaust system.

Other than that you may just need to replace the LP detector. They go bad for the heck of it and if they sound off then the worse they get. A new one may not go off but I would do some more checking for exhaust gas.
Thanks, I'll check the exaust system when I get back home
Old 10-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #4

Update,
I'd forgotten that I had lost a tail pipe a while back (been meaning to replace it)...
And it just happens to be on the same side as the LP Detector...
As a test, I put a battery powered CO detector next to the LP detector, drove up a grade, sure enough, the LP Detector went off as it has been...
When I was able to stop, I checked the CO detector, it had a max level detected of 31ppm. Not enough to cause of great concern, but enough that I'll
Be making a trip to the muffler shop to get it replaced.... I still think the circumstances are wierd, you'd think it would also alarm on a downgrade when using the engine brake... It also tells me those LP detectors are mighty sensitive...
Old 10-07-2012, 03:43 AM   #5

Quote:
you'd think it would also alarm on a downgrade when using the engine brake.
on the downgrade your throttle is closed so not burning any fuel so nothing to trip the alarm.

Also on a steep upgrade, it is quite likely there is more smoke/unburnt fuel coming out the tailpipe than on a slight grade, and the lower speed gives the exhaust fumes more chance to swirl around and find a hole.

Tags
gas