Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #1

LP Gas Detector

I'm not sure where to put this, so here it is.

My LP gas detector seems to have gone loopy. Not sure if all of this is related, but I'll give the whole story. A couple months ago my coach batteries went dead. I found out the charger section of my converter was out and most likely allowed the batteries to die from parasitic loads. During that time the detector started beeping when door was open. The detector is in the side of a cabinet at the top of the entry steps.

If I closed the door the detector stopped beeping after a few minutes. I replaced the converter, and over time the batteries seemed to recharge. We were on vacation for three weeks and the detector never went off with the door open or closed.

When we pulled into our driveway and opened the door the detector started beeping. It is still beeping after five days even if the door is closed for a day or so. I tried the butane lighter test, which didn't show any change in the beeping. I checked the battery voltage last night and it was 13.something, so low battery was not the problem. The batteries are mounted under the steps, but this has not caused a problem in the past.

My next thought is that the thing is just dieing of old age. The MH is a '96 model.

OK, check that. I just went to the MH to retrieve something and the detector was not beeping. I left the door open and walked to the rear closet. When I returned, it was beeping. No noticible smell outside the MH that would likely cause the beeping. Pressing the RESET button does cause the beeping to stop for one minute as it is supposed to.

Any thoughts from the experts? Do these detectors have a normal life as do smoke detectors and CO detectors?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2010, 02:19 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I believe that the suggested replacement time for the LP detector is every 5 years, yes, they do have a limited lifespan. The sensor in the detector wears out over time. You have had an unusual long life for yours.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:06 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with Jim's assessment of your LP Leak Detector. My MH is a 2004 and last year I started having false alarms....and lo and behold, it was just over the 5 year old mark. Replaced it and have had no more alarms from the new one.

Mine was one of the CCI units and that company has gone out of business but I did fine a direct replacement at a local RV dealership but I can't remember the brand name right off hand. Watching the Alabama/Texas game right now and it is cold and raining or I would go out to look and see. If you want the brand, just post and I'll get it for you tomorrow.

One good thing about these detectors is that when they go bad, usually, instead of failing to give an alarm, they give false alarms which IMHO is preferred to having a bunch of LP accumulate without being alerted.

All of the detectors I saw when buying my new one have a date of manufacture on them so make sure you look them over to get a current one. I'm told the 5 year life span is started from manufacture point and not the time you install it. I saw a few that had been manufactured over three years earlier so if someone bought one of them, over 60% of their expected life span had already been used up....and the dealership where I saw them wanted full retail for their old stock. Just pays to be careful.

Good luck and let us know what you find out and do.

2004 Winnebago Brave 32v on W20 w/8.1L and Allison
Capt Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:20 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, the alarms can go bad and yours is a real oldie. Normally I'd say replace it just so you don't have to worry. But an LP detector of that vintage is probably ties to a gas shutoff valve and you are going to have trouble finding a replacement if it is. The RVIA standards do not require that type of detector anymore and nobody is making them. If you have that type, you will probably have to remove or bypass the gas shutoff valve as well as replacing the detector.

I'd start by getting another detector and see if it too alarms. If it does not and the old one does, you can continue with the replacement. If the new one alarms too, you have some kind of fumes present (not necessarily LP).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:33 PM   #5

I decided to replace the detector and ordered a new one this evening. It is a CCI and appears to only have a simple 12 vdc connection. Since I decided to replace it, it has not sounded off. Maybe it is not talking to me because it knows its time is limited in my MH. I hope the new one only sound off when I test it. Will let you know in a couple of weeks.

Light snow here around Atlanta...maybe a half inch outside. But enough to set off all kinds of concerns around here. Close the schools...get your milk and bread... Also watching the Bama TX game. Looks like Bama will hold off the Colt-less Longhorns. But I'm still an Auburn Tiger.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:57 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired and Happy View Post
I decided to replace the detector and ordered a new one this evening. It is a CCI and appears to only have a simple 12 vdc connection. Since I decided to replace it, it has not sounded off. Maybe it is not talking to me because it knows its time is limited in my MH. I hope the new one only sound off when I test it. Will let you know in a couple of weeks.

Light snow here around Atlanta...maybe a half inch outside. But enough to set off all kinds of concerns around here. Close the schools...get your milk and bread... Also watching the Bama TX game. Looks like Bama will hold off the Colt-less Longhorns. But I'm still an Auburn Tiger.
my lp gas detector would go off when my old house batteries were gassing. my new agm batteries do not gas and i have not had an alarm since changing the batteries.
it is cold and wet in sw wash, but no snow here recently.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:57 PM   #7

I installed the new detector this afternoon. By the time i got around to it, the old one had quit beeping and was acting normal. I changed it anyway. I had given the old one two weeks to straighten up, so out it went. I had left the door open for a couple hours which had apparently caused the old one to go off, but the new one was quiet at could be. I hope my problem is solved, but only time will tell. When i have time I may hook the old one up to 12 vdc in the garage to see if it works normally. For now, case closed. Thanks for your help. Oh, of the many places the instructions said to not put the detector, one was near a door or window. The old one was next to the main door, so that's where the new one is. We'll see if it makes any difference. The old one worked there for 13 years.