Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2015, 03:13 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
LP Tanks

Hi

Is there a reason that MHs do not have removable LP tanks? I think it would be much easier to get a portable tank filled than the coach tank. Many LP distributors seem intimidated by a MH pulling up.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2015, 03:25 PM   #2

Profile and storage space, are probably the biggest factors.
It would take 5 , 7 gal, ( 30lb) tanks to equal , to capacity of my under slung tank, and they would be too tall to fit between the floor and the ground with any road clearance. Empty those would weigh more than the under slung tank. Getting an empty cylinder out from under my extended slide , and putting a full one back in.. my back hurts just thinking about it.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:36 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by eprman1 View Post
Hi

Is there a reason that MHs do not have removable LP tanks? I think it would be much easier to get a portable tank filled than the coach tank. Many LP distributors seem intimidated by a MH pulling up.
Another reason is the tanks mounted under motor homes do not have to be re-certified like the portable tanks. If you want to use a portable, you can add a system that lets you plug in a portable tank. I think it's called Extend-A-Stay. I have refilled the one on my motorhomes many times at a local LP distributor with no problem at all.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:51 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Hi
Is there a reason that MHs do not have removable LP tanks?....

Short answer is that they do-- if they're fairly small. I've filled many Class Cs and small Class As, which often have a removable 20 or 30 Lb tank. A larger MH would require more propane if you need to heat it, or simply for the convenience if they have the space and capacity to carry 100 to 125 Lb of propane. You pretty much wipe out the convenience factor if you have to refill 4-7 individual tanks.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:36 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Profile and storage space, are probably the biggest factors.
It would take 5 , 7 gal, ( 30lb) tanks to equal , to capacity of my under slung tank, and they would be too tall to fit between the floor and the ground with any road clearance. Empty those would weigh more than the under slung tank. Getting an empty cylinder out from under my extended slide , and putting a full one back in.. my back hurts just thinking about it.
Ok. Now I see. I was looking at specs and saw:
LPG Tank (Gallons; 80% Capacity Limit): 24

I was thinking pounds not gallons and thought the tank would be unbelievably small and would need refills often.

I guess I need to slow down and read.

BTW, what does it cost to fill a 24 gallon tank?

Thanks for your answers everyone.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:45 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
BTW, what does it cost to fill a 24 gallon tank?
If the tank is totally empty, about $75-80. LP is running between $2.80-3.25 per gallon in the Fort Worth area right now. I usually fill up when it gets down to about 1/4-1/3 of a tank and last time it was $45. If you scout around, you can find a distributor with a pump that is easier to get to. A lot of the smaller U-haul rental places and stations may be harder to get in and out of, but the distributors are running trucks in and out all the time.

'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank