Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Lug Nut Cap Removal

It seems to me when I wanted to remove the chrome lug nut caps on my old motor home (15 years ago), I just wiggled them until they came off. I'm having no such luck with this one. Am I getting old and weak? I see there is a tool for removing said caps. I see them online from about $20 to $50. How do you all get your caps off?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
All ours have had two nuts under two of the covers that have dimples on them. Remove the dimpled cover and then the nuts with the special, kind of "T" shaped tool.
Some people erroneously think the nut and cover are one piece and the "T" tool socket is the wrong size, it's not one you remove the chrome cover.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
^ In fact, two of the caps are different than all the others.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes, that did it except I had to take off the cap and the nut as one unit. They spun off with 1 1/8" socket. (No wheel tools came with the rig.) The front is a little different because the wheel has five lugs and the wheel cover has 8 lug caps. It has four caps that are different, only two hold the wheel cover on, the other two are held on with plastic fasteners.

And, as I suspected, the reason I couldn't find the inside duals' valve stems is because they were mounted with automotive valve stems...

Edit: Regarding the pic, please don't think I tried to use water pump pliers to remove that cap. That damage is courtesy of the previous owner.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some of the newer RV's the cap is not SUPPOSED to come off.. Just so you know.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:53 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
I took a pair of vice grips and put some self adhesive felt on them and use that to pull them off. Slips sometimes so I am thinking maybe rubber instead.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:42 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Get the tool, cheap and easy; does not ding cap.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:50 AM   #8

Easy way to find the caps that hold the wheel covers on is to tap on the cap. You will hear a hollow ring on the dummy caps but a solid Thunk on the ones you take off.

Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:26 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by retmotor View Post
It seems to me when I wanted to remove the chrome lug nut caps on my old motor home (15 years ago), I just wiggled them until they came off. I'm having no such luck with this one. Am I getting old and weak? I see there is a tool for removing said caps. I see them online from about $20 to $50. How do you all get your caps off?
I'm interested in knowing more about that tool. What's it called and where do you find it?

Thanks,
Stewart
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Some of the caps are using the studs threads and are threaded on, Some are a snap fit. I have had both and needed to apply some silicone to keep the snap fit type from vibrating off. I have little doubt that there are other types. One way to see some of the choices is to visit the chrome shop of a nearby large truck stop and check out the displays. You may find a duplicate of yours!
Old 07-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
I'm interested in knowing more about that tool. What's it called and where do you find it?...
Looks like this:

or this:

And those are available at Amazon here and here. I'm sure other tool supply houses have them too. The problem I have when searching for them, is they don't seem to have a standardized name. "Lug nut cap remover" "lug nut cover remover" I've seen them called pliers too.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #12

I picked up the tool for taking the lug nut covers off at our local Heavy Truck shop. I think that I paid about $22 for them. I have taken the caps off my MH before I have taken it to have any work done on the tire/wheels. While they are not expensive, I just want to make sure that thye are not damaged.
I do not know about the ones that are not supposed to be taken off but I would think that they might not be able to hold up to the required torque of several hundred foot pounds that are required for the larger tire/wheels.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retmotor, thanks for your reply. Very interesting tool.
The nuts that hold my wheel covers go on a wheel stud and are on quite tight. Without trying one, I'm not sure I could apply enough torque to either get them off or back on again. Last time I did it I used a large pipe wrench with a rag. It worked for the fronts with no damage, but it obviously won't for the dual rear. For the rears I need to find a 1 9/16" socket.

Thanks though.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
^ Ah, gotcha. It sounds like our caps are similar. I was unable to separate my caps from the nuts that hold on the wheel cover and I don't know if that tool would have separated them or not. They may in fact be designed to be one piece. They spun off with an 1 1/8" 6 point socket. I'd guess they were on there with about 50-80 lb ft of torque (some were tight, some not as much).

Tags
lug nut caps, removal, wheel cover