Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Ma. MH Inspection?

Have any of you Ma. residents had their MH inspected yet in 2009?
I've heard some conflicting info that MH's may fall into the new "Enhanced Commercial Motor Vehicle Inspection"?

From what I can find on the RMV site it does mention "all heavy duty motor vehicles over 10,000 GVWR". But, it also mentions that a commercial vehicle means any vehicle which is not "auto home".

A buddy of mine went in with his F250, got hit with the normal $29.00 fee + another $100.00 for the "enhanced" inspection. Maybe he just got ripped-off??

The Portable Summer Cottage II * 2000 GBM/99 F53. Steer-Safe, Ultra-Trac, Bilsteins, Sumitomo's, CHF, & Eternabond. Mod it & keep her rolling! Pics & Mods:http://s69.photobucket.com/user/scot...20Cottage%20II
NAUTIQUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #2

"he got ripped off" and what else would you expect in the Commonwealth of Taxachusetts? Long before I retired we knew not where we would wind up retiring to; but, without even a gnat's hair of hesitation we knew exactly where we would retire from. From the perspective of 5 and 1/2 years being out of TA (new postal code!) I can only surmise that an enhanced inspection is in all reality only an enhanced fee.

In Feb. '02 we purchased a new pusher in FL and drove home to TA, before registering it I had to get the diesel emission inspection on a brand new motor home-I have often wondered if it had failed how I would ever be able to get a reconciliation between the RMV of TA and Catepillar as the engine manufacturer. Come to TN where unfortunately we do not even have a safety inspection and our annual license plate is a whole $24 and we sure as heck do not have to endure that confiscatory annual TA excise tax. Good luck to you and your friend and if you get a chance share with us how TA defines the "enhanced inpection", Ken, '04 DSDP....

Old 03-18-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
This is the only change,LINK, that was made Oct,1,08 that I could find most things show no change. They do not show as before any information about any Motorhome under 26,000 inspection on their whole site.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:52 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Wow, not sure why my post was moved to "General Discussion"?
I posted in Northeast thread figuring I'd have better luck finding someone in Ma. who has actually taken their rig in this year.
Ken - Taxachusetts is on it's way to becoming even worse if our little Gov.Deval has his way!
The Portable Summer Cottage II * 2000 GBM/99 F53. Steer-Safe, Ultra-Trac, Bilsteins, Sumitomo's, CHF, & Eternabond. Mod it & keep her rolling! Pics & Mods:http://s69.photobucket.com/user/scot...20Cottage%20II
Old 03-19-2009, 06:45 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAUTIQUE View Post
Wow, not sure why my post was moved to "General Discussion"?
I posted in Northeast thread figuring I'd have better luck finding someone in Ma. who has actually taken their rig in this year.
With the redirect in the Northeast forum, your post can be accessed from both forums, resulting in many more members seeing your post.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:49 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
With the redirect in the Northeast forum, your post can be accessed from both forums, resulting in many more members seeing your post.
Cool!
Old 03-23-2009, 07:21 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Has anyone had their MH inspected in MASS lately???
Old 03-23-2009, 08:01 AM   #8

I got inspected in Sept 08 at

DELCORP CO INC
10 INDUSTRIAL WAY
WHITMAN.MA
(781) 447-4600

It was a strange quick inspection. The computers were not set up or something for the "new" inspection, I paid my $29 an made tracks.

Who knows what's next ???

2015 Itasca Meridian 42E
LeonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:16 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Moved back to NE Forum looking for MA. members to respond.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:33 PM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you 007, Ive been watching this post and hopeing to find an answer as to where we can get the inspections done. The station I usally use in Essex can no longer do the larger truck chassis. They sent me to Rowley and they told me the same story. They sent me to Topsfeild where I again got a repeat of the same story. This was last October, and I gave up and went to the fall ralley any way. I was hopeing the state would get their act togeter over the winter and let these stations do the inspections agian.

06 33' winnebago Voyage 33V
Lone Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:33 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You just missed out Pete cause I went to ROWLEY in Sept and had mine done, there was talk at that time he thought he may stop because of DMV changes.????
Old 03-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #12
Edw

Inspection

Had mine inspected at Major's RV, just over the Bourne bridge in Bourne, MA. 29.00 for inspection + 1 tail light bulb replaced = too much$.
They were very nice. Call first to get schedules.
I had heard a couple shops charge the 29.00 plus shop labor rate for time the unit is in shop being inspected.

Sea Breeze 31'
Edw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:58 PM   #13

Got the MH inspected last October here in Western MA. $29.00 for a regular inspection. I do know that when my K3500 Duromax comes up for inspection this fall the commercial plate and the 11,000 gvw will put me into the enhanced program and it will cost me $129. My understanding is that is a DOT Commercial Inspection. Also have to have all trailers used for business inspected. ($29.00 each). I don't think there is any change for the MH but as states start looking for income flow it won't surprize me to see more changes.

Grumpy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #14

How ironic that Taxachusetts was the home of the original Tea Party, and today is its antithesis. CA isn't far behind.