Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2015, 10:40 AM   #1

Macerator

How many folks out there use a macerator, either permanently mounted or portable with their waste system, and are you satisfied with it's performance?

Reason I'm asking is, I have one of the top brands and models I mounted on my coach, it works well for downsizing what ever comes out the tanks.

But I'm thinking it's a slower process using it as far as flow, and I feel like I could get a better flush out of the black water tank without it slowing the flow down.

I do have the internal tank jets to help and they work very well. The toilet is a macerator toilet also.

Does anyone else think that maybe, the add on macerator is not worth the extra time it takes to dump and clean the tanks?

Thanks for your comments.

DTW

Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2015, 11:53 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
For the - drive up and dump - nothing beats the old slinky hose for speed. But when parked and connected to FHU I am happier with the heavy duty small hose and ability to dump without one of the cumbersome hose supporting systems. Also makes leaving gray tank open for the longer stays so much easier and trouble free. The little heavy duty hose on our Sewer Solutions has over 50,000 miles of camping and is showing no signs of wear. Can't say the same for the occasionally used slinky's Lost track but think we are on third set of slinky's. I vote for ability to use both systems.

Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:42 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I look at it differently.....yes the macerator, ours is a SaniCon, takes longer to dump than a 3" hose, but is easier to deal with. Since our SaniCon is permanently mounted and the hose is always connected, I don't have to deal with cleaning or storing a hose. Think about how much time is spent retrieving the 3" hose from it's storage position, connecting it, dumping, removing the hose, cleaning it, (making sure not to drip on your shoes) and then storing it again takes.

My SaniCon hose is stored right on the floor of the water bay. It's very compact, yet stretches out to 20'. I simply pull it out, remove the 1" screw on cap and insert in the drain (mine already has multiple size connectors built onto the end of the hose). When I'm breaking camp, I just pull the hose out of the drain, screw on the cap and store the hose, no rinsing.

Lastly, I have an electric dump valve, with a remote inside the coach. I also have a second switch inside the coach for the SaniCon. I can drain the tanks from inside my coach while closing things up on the day we break camp. Once my slides are in, I just store my hose.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:43 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a Flo-Jet portable and two special hoses. You can guess what they are used for
one is a 50 foot BLACK rubber hose.. This is the one I normally use with the macerator.. When I use it that is
The other is Gray and only 25' (I have 2 gray water tanks)

One one site I needed to empty my Gray tank (NOT BLACK) there was a gray water dump about 72 feet from my outlet.. and up hill.. Worked great.

other sites I have had to pump far. or up hill or both. One site it's like 48 feet.. These are the places I use the macerator.. Works great

HOWEVER it pumps about six gallon per minute tops (that is down hill but 50 foot hose)

The 3" gravity dump can empty a 36 gallon tank in less than one mintute. And will. First thing tomorrow.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:48 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
The SaniCon macerator system is great! Ours is permanently mounted (easily removed), and with the interior black tank wash down system built into our Discovery, makes it easy - and sanitary - to maintain the black tank.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:47 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
For the - drive up and dump - nothing beats the old slinky hose for speed. But when parked and connected to FHU I am happier with the heavy duty small hose and ability to dump without one of the cumbersome hose supporting systems. Also makes leaving gray tank open for the longer stays so much easier and trouble free. The little heavy duty hose on our Sewer Solutions has over 50,000 miles of camping and is showing no signs of wear. Can't say the same for the occasionally used slinky's Lost track but think we are on third set of slinky's. I vote for ability to use both systems.
Another HUGE Sewer Solutions fan
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:01 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine is in the attic.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:10 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Keep in mind that macerators require routine maintenance. Hair will wrap around the blades and impede operation. Also, the impeller may lose one or more of its impellers and will need replacing. Typically, once a year is all that is required for internal maintenance.

I use mine at home due to the fact that my septic tank clean out opening is about 75' feet away from where I park my mh. The rest of the time I just use my stinky slinky. As mentioned, it is a pain hooking and unhooking it, but it will drain both of my tanks is under a minute.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:50 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Macerators turn your "holding tanks" into "septic tanks" and do not allow the proper cleaning to happen when you pull the handle to dump because there is no Down Pressure / gravity flow / or suction to force the solids out.
niceguy9605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:51 AM   #10

My RV came with a SaniCon installed. In addition to be very slow to drain, the large end was too big to go thru the hose opening. This meant that I had to either leave the bay door open, or hook and unhook every time I needed to dump. Using a 3" hose with the tank rinse, keeps you black tank clean; it has nothing to do with whether or not you have a macerator. I also did not find it to be so sanitary as some say. I had it removed, and sold it for $150. I'm happy and I think the purchaser is happy.

In reality I think whether you do or do not like a macerator is rather like how do you like your steak. We all like things a little different.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:58 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy9605 View Post
Macerators turn your "holding tanks" into "septic tanks" and do not allow the proper cleaning to happen when you pull the handle to dump because there is no Down Pressure / gravity flow / or suction to force the solids out.
Agreed. There is nothing like a dump and flush and dump for a good clean out. I like the option of flow direction change and flush by opening gray tank if I need it.

Have to admit, been in a couple of situations where the ability to pump up hill would have made life easier.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:13 PM   #12

Talking

I have a portable macerator and use it when the need arises. Yes you can dump a lot fast with the 3 inch hose of course but not uphill. I like the idea of being able to have a choice to fit the situation.
DicknBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I look at it differently.....yes the macerator, ours is a SaniCon, takes longer to dump than a 3" hose, but is easier to deal with. Since our SaniCon is permanently mounted and the hose is always connected, I don't have to deal with cleaning or storing a hose. Think about how much time is spent retrieving the 3" hose from it's storage position, connecting it, dumping, removing the hose, cleaning it, (making sure not to drip on your shoes) and then storing it again takes.

My SaniCon hose is stored right on the floor of the water bay. It's very compact, yet stretches out to 20'. I simply pull it out, remove the 1" screw on cap and insert in the drain (mine already has multiple size connectors built onto the end of the hose). When I'm breaking camp, I just pull the hose out of the drain, screw on the cap and store the hose, no rinsing.

Lastly, I have an electric dump valve, with a remote inside the coach. I also have a second switch inside the coach for the SaniCon. I can drain the tanks from inside my coach while closing things up on the day we break camp. Once my slides are in, I just store my hose.
We use both systems. The old 3" pipe works well and feels faster. The Sanicon works well when we to pump uphill and really works well when you don't forget to remove the little grey cap before turning it on.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:14 PM   #14

I use the 3" dump hose, whenever there is a dump site.

I use the portable macerator, when I stay at families houses.
Just like Randy Quaid in Christmas vacation.

Tags
ace