Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
It sounds like the fellow you watched every morning did not have the model with a grey water bypass. For me, this wold be unacceptable. The grey water bypass make all the difference.
Where does the grey water bypass to, the macerator discharge hose or a slinky or...? If it is to a slinky, doesn't that defeat the purpose of the whole setup?

I would rather deal with an occasional leak than even THINK about changing out an impellor.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2010, 02:34 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Hi CJ7ole,
The grey water bypass goes into the macerator hose just below the macerator. This means the grey water enters the by pass above the macerator and exits into the 1" hose just below the macerator. It works great. Go to the photo in my earlier post of go to Tetford Sani-Con Macerator - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery and check it out.

For me, the macerator is an outstanding way to handle waste. Permanently mounted and absolutely no waste outside the hose. From start to finish, all waste remains contained. Putting the hose away is a clean task. Just screw the cap on the end of the hose and place it in the utility bay.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post

I would rather deal with an occasional leak than even THINK about changing out an impellor.
I'd rather have to deal an occasional problem with the impeller than handle the stinky slinky multiple times a week. In over four years of fulltiming using a Sanicon we have never had a problem with the impeller.

I did take the pump apart once after three years of use just to see what it was like. I left it filled with gray water as a test. No real smell, and no problem with the impeller, just a few hairs. Everyone needs to use what they are comfortable with, for us it is the Sanicon, which the wife can use just as easily as me. Of course if it ever does malfunction, I know who's going to fix it. Sort of like going camping, some people have to have reservations, others just go and find a place, but they both have a good time

As for the flow from the bypass, it goes out the 1 inch hose as I "ain't got no stinkin' 3" hose." Used them before and will never go back.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:44 AM   #18

After 20+ years of dumping at the public dumps at the CG or Camping World and dealing with the incredible slobs, there ain't nothin better than my own personal dump at home. Ours is the box model Sani-Con with the 3" flex hose. I installed a secondary valve at the hose so I can remove it and get to the normal output. The bayonet pump would have worked too, but...

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:19 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Macerator pump

My sincere thanks to all who have responded to my original thread! The information provided is priceless! I'm beginning to think that my 3" hose is not all that bad and that "going to dinner" may be a better solution. Thanks again!!
JBroadaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:16 AM   #20

We had a macerator installed and used it for about 2 1/2 years before the motor shorted out (not the fuse). Luckily it was at the tail end of the black dump process butit was nasty getting it off and finishing the dump. Because of the otherwise clean handling and ease of use when the memory fades (in a few more years) we'll probbaly go back to one. In the interim we have gone to the 3" rhino.

Aside from t he failure, which while unpleasant could have been mitigated somewhat with an additional gate valve between the macerator and the tank, the only problem we had was the grey bypass would pulg up on a weekly basis.

Now, the reason why it plugged up so often and probably what eventually did in the motor, is that we have an on-board washer & dryer and we RV at least 60% of the time. The plug-ups were almost always lint from the washer. If we go the macerator route in the future I would either add a small clean-out to the bypass or go with a larger bypass hose and add a valve to close it when the black is dumped.

There is no question that when it works the macerator is a great way to dump, store/handle the hose, is clean & easy, etc. But if it fails on you mid-dumpo and is not just the fuse going because the impellor jammed, it is quite nasty.
Techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:01 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are several Macerator systems.. The motors are usually the same, however after that things change.

I use a Flo-Jet, this is a "Temporary" system.. IT hooks on just like the stinky slinky, and then plugs in (I do admit to doing the plug/outlet my way, Anderson Power Poles, Saw them on TV yesterday.. (Mythbusters used them for something)

For your use the RV-Sanicon might be a best choice.

Instlal of the sanicon amounts to bolting the hardware in the bay, hooking up with a short 3" hose, and running the wire.. Very simple.

Now... Some intersting info:

The Macerator does a much slower job of exmptying the tanks.. So no "Woosh Factor" on the black tank (That is where semi-solids are "Wooshed" out with the flood) This may or may not be a concern.

However many times I have the feeling that dumpign 36 gallons (My tank size) is putting quite a strain on the in-ground pipe... Using a macerator would "Throttle" this down so you should not get "Blow back" at the sewer fitting.. A very good thing in my opinion .

Also, I've been to places where I had to dump UP.. Kind of hard to do with a stinky slinky.

Finally the RINOFLEX.. does not often leak.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBroadaway View Post
I am going to install a macerator pump and get rid of the forever leaking sewer hoses. Would like to get some input on which system is the best and easiest to install.
I installed Sewer Solution 2 and half years ago and its been perfect. SewerSolution

I just left my son's driveway after month and I dumped to his cleanout 44 feet and slightly uphill several times. Its been on the sewer outlet since the day I bought it on Ebay for $89. I have it plumbed in so twist a couple of knobs and I am dumping and spraying my tanks clean without ever putting on a pair of rubber gloves.

I fail to understand why anyone would put on something that has to be connected to electrical and cost a lot of money and can jam. I have never had any clog.

You do need water to empty so would not use this if dumping in public place without water. If I needed to I would just twist it off and use the old hose.

Bob

Southern California
BZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:30 PM   #23

I love my sanicon no mess no fuss, grey water by-pass is a must. Yes it is slower to dump than straight 3" hose, but overall it is quicker as nothing to disconnect. Dump remove from CG, place cap on, place hose in compartment, close door it's all good.
Firecoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:28 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It always comes down to this, what you have works the best for you and what you don't have must not be any good. We use both systems.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:44 AM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

Finally the RINOFLEX.. does not often leak.
X2 on the RINO
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:17 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to idenphones
I can't say that I love my SaniCon but it sure is one heck of allot better than the Stinky Slinky in my opinion.

Our Simba came with the SaniCon but it did not have the gray water bypass so after a quick trip to Lowes, I was able to make my own and now when the wife uses the washer/dryer I don't need to go out to dump the gray tank a couple of times a week.

I also added a six inch piece of clear tubing at the end of the black hose so I can watch what is happening and I know for sure when everything has been flushed out.

A day or so before leaving, I close the gray, let the tank get partially filled, and then dump and flush with the help of the SaniCon.

No leaks, no fuss and no stink! But I do keep a stinky slinky wrapped up in a garbage bag just in case.

Ours has the metal impeller versus a rubber one and it seems to do a very good job of munching.
idenphones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:24 AM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZam View Post
I installed Sewer Solution 2 and half years ago and its been perfect. SewerSolution
Bob
Bob, so you know,, I personally think using gallons of fresh water to jet-pump the stuff through the line is a long long way from perfect.

Just so you know.. I do not like that system at all.

Fortunately.. That is why we have choices.. You got what you like, I got what I like, we are thus both happy.. Till there is a water shortage and someone tells you you can't use yours.