Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #1

Macerator Systems

after "milking" 20 feet of 3" hose in 90 degree heat, I am ready for a portable Macerator System. trouble is, which one to get.. I went to the web an looked at the ones CW offers, and also ran accross an ad for the CLEAN DUMP RV Portable Macerator System. having no experience with these systems I need help on making the right investment. thanx Len
LKANER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use a Flo-Jet, Very happy with it.. Sanicon makes a unit that is nearly identical, I suspect I'd be very happy with it.. Clean Dump, I don't know.

NOTE: You still have to empty the hose, it's just smaller diamater and longer run (My black hose is 50 feet) Personally.. I prefer the 3" when I can use it.. but the Macerator.. Very handy for those times when the 3" just won't cut the mustard.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:25 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Personally if you the 3" dump available at your site that's the way to go. You say you have to milk the hose? Is it just laying on the ground? If so get yourself a expandable tressel that expands from near ground level upward. This will let the hose drain properly as it will be in a gradual downward slope from the moho to the sewer drain. Now in our situation where we are at this time we have to use the macerator. Our dump outlet is 75' from the moho. We have a Sani-Con portable system and so far it works great. We also have a homemade unit that I made from a garbage disposal that is just great also. I was a little leary of the 12 volt macerator but as I've mentioned it has worked great so far and I hope it stays that way.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:25 AM   #4

thanx for the feed back. I have the tressel, and agree that most times it would be easier to use the 3". the problem right now is at home. with my trailer the drain was downstream. however now with the MH it is uphill and the MH connection is lower than the drain. that's why I am looking at the portable so I have the flexibility.
LKANER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Check our sponsor, www.RV Upgrades and the Sanicon system.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the portable Sanicon macerator. We have to use it about 4 months out of the year due to having to pump 100 ft. We had a problem with it after using it this past year (it was new a year ago April). The gaskets failed and allowed sewage water to enter the motor. I replaced the gaskets and the unit still works but I'm waiting for it to fail. These units are not well made. We prefer to use the simple 3" slinky if possible.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:23 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Monaco use to offer the SaniCon system on most of its coaches. We have a built-in SaniCon unit. It has worked fine for 6 years. Its all we use. People say the 3" hose is faster and in the same sentence talk about using one of the support systems for the hose. All of that stuff are things that you have to take out, put away and clean. With the SaniCon system, you don't even need to completely drain the hose. Just but the cap back on.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:27 AM   #8

Check out the macerator's on ebay, they run around a hundred bucks.

They are not "systems" but a bare bones unit.

From my experience, if you have 24 volt's available from any source, that is the way to go.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Took mine out of my last coach. Too much trouble. Takes too long to dump, maintenance, ect...nothing wrong with stinky slinky
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I purchased and installed a Sanicon, and now it is bypassed and I am using the regular hose.

The positive - it is very clean and easy & you don't get your hands dirty anymore.

The negative -

It takes 2-3 times longer to dump, during which time you have to stand with it so you can turn it off when it starts running dry.

It often pops the 20amp breaker several times during use, and sometimes overheats and shuts down for about 10 minutes.

The switch that came with mine broke and required replacement

Sometimes it stops in the middle of dumping the black tank and you have to use a screwdriver and turn the manual slot in the back to free up the blade inside and get it running again.

Twice it shut down on me in the middle of dumping the black tank. Nothing you can do but put the cap on and wait for it to cool down.

My final thought:
If you have to dump far away in a cleanout or uphill, get one. If you dump normally at dump stations and RV sites - I would consider it a waste of money. I purchased mine two months ago, and I really wanted it to work out, but now it is disconnected and the old 3 inch is back on. I don't plan to every try using it again.
TGMarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKANER View Post
thanx for the feed back. I have the tressel, and agree that most times it would be easier to use the 3". the problem right now is at home. with my trailer the drain was downstream. however now with the MH it is uphill and the MH connection is lower than the drain. that's why I am looking at the portable so I have the flexibility.
WE use a mascerator at home for the same reasons. Rather than paying big bucks for the ones at Camping World we bought a Jabsco unit from West Marine. Like some others we bought the bare bones unit. Then went to the local RV store and picked up a couple fittings. Since it's quite a distance from where our RV is parked to the sewer outlet I had to get 75 feet of hose from McMaster Carr. With all costs included it probably isn't a lot cheaper than the commercial units, but it's customized for our application.

If you go the route of buying a unit from West Marine be sure to buy it on line or from the catalog. I tried to purchase the same unit from several of their brick and mortar stores. It was at least twice as much from the stores as it was online.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Monaco use to offer the SaniCon system on most of its coaches. We have a built-in SaniCon unit. It has worked fine for 6 years. Its all we use. People say the 3" hose is faster and in the same sentence talk about using one of the support systems for the hose. All of that stuff are things that you have to take out, put away and clean. With the SaniCon system, you don't even need to completely drain the hose. Just but the cap back on.
My Knight also has a builtin sanicon system.
And a tecma macerating toilet to go with it.

It doesn't smell, ever.
It isn't messy, ever.
It doesn't take all that long to dump, really.
You can still leave the gray valve open.
And no, it doesn't blow fuses, burn out switches, or jam up, ever.

Once was enough, I'm never going back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	poop.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	12877  
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Well, that's 2 that have a totally opposite experience than me... Perhaps I should exchange mine for another one and try it again - perhaps I got a lemon?
TGMarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGMarrs View Post
Well, that's 2 that have a totally opposite experience than me... Perhaps I should exchange mine for another one and try it again - perhaps I got a lemon?
I'd guess you might have an installation problem, the switch and relay and possibly power feed are not what they need to be.

Also, I think the techma potty has a lot to do with my positive experience. Thanks to that electric toilet, my black tank contains no "solids" at all.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote