Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Macerator with 5/8 hose . has anyone tried it?

With all the rain, I am not able to get to my cleanout as I have to drive over the lawn and the ground is too soft. I was thinking about getting a jabsco or johnson macerator pump and some garden hose. Make some sort of adapter for it to fit the 3 inch flange. I do have a 100 foot section of 5/8 that I use for the lawn and my question is:
Has anyone used 5/8 hose with a macerator?

I do have a johnson 1 1/2 inch inlet/outlet diaphragm waste pump with some flat discharge hose I could probably use but it doesn't chop anything. I was thinking of just using the diaphragm pump but I think I better get the macerator to avoid any clogs.
So am I good to go with the 5/8 hose if I get the macerator or should I order a 3/4 inch garden hose?

I figure I will need it again as this isn't the first time I have not been able to dump, plus it will save some maneuvering around trees.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #2

I have only used a 3/4" extension hose for my macerator. Pumping 100' with a 5/8" might be a bit of a stretch but why not try it with grey water. Does it have to elevate the liquid?

The chopping impeller must do a good job to ensure the solids from the black tank are nearly liquified to enable a smooth flow on a smaller sized hose.

I have pumped 97' with an elevation of 7', but that is with 75' of 3/4" hose and 22' of the 1" hose that came with the macerator.

My current RV has a built in Macerator so I use it 100% of the time and it works great. Mine is a FloJet I think.

Good luck
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use the Clean Dump RV Macerator Pump & RV Waste Disposal Accessories with 1" hose that will pump 150 feet up hill. CLEAN DUMP is Made and Assembled in the USA!
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's all level ground to the cleanout. I guess I could always buy another 25 foot section of the flat discharge hose. I have 75 feet for the other waste pump

1-1/2" x 25 Ft. PVC Discharge Hose

If I can use my 5/8 yard hose though, I would just use that instead of going through the hassle of the extra clean up with the discharge hose.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I have pumped thru 5/8" hose when that's all that was available, but anything more than 50 feet caused the pump to blow its fuse. Too much back pressure, I presume. I had about 65 feet to go, so I put a "Y" on the end of the 50 foot hose and connect two 25 footers in parallel and managed to do the job, but I also stopped periodically and let the pump cool a bit.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks. I guess I might have to get another section of the flat hose then, that should work ok
Old 06-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I wonder if a y adapter on the hose/outlet with another hose hooked up to the house spigot ( with a backflow valve ) would help push it the distance.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ended up buying a camco sewer flange to 3 inch npt adaptor online. HD I got a 1 1/2 cleanout fitting glued that into an adaptor/reducer to bring it up to a slip fit/female threaded pvd 3 inch fitting. Nice neat setup on the input side to the pump.
Output a clear 1" hose to a 3/4 nipple/3/4 tee/ another 3/4 nipple and a 3/4 npt to male hose fitting. Off the tee I attached a hose shut off valve so I could hook up a hose to wash out the discharge hose.
Tried the gray tank first. No problem.
Black tank: Pump handled the discharge into the 5/8 hose but would heat up and shut down after about 3 minutes. I gave it a rest to cool and repeated. Worked well.
I have two 5/8 hoses so I was thinking I could always use the tee fitting and hook up another hose to use as output. But as it is it did the job. I think I might have had trouble if it had to go uphill, but since I was level it worked.
I attached a water hose to the tee and flushed out the discharge hose and put that back into action for the garden