Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-23-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
macerator worth the effort?

I am sure has been discussed before, but I am uncertain where to find it. The DP we purchased (used) has a macerator on it for the sewer line. A number of people advise to just replace it with the regular sewer line, that I would be better off with the simpler system s we have no experience with this outfit and that, in their opinion, there is really not much if any advantage of having this electric macerator. Any ideas, opinions......keep it or not?

FT ISL 400 Cummins
Unlimited Jeep toad
Nutravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
I installed one on our MH 2 years ago and I've not used the slinky since. Also, I pump over 75' to cleanout at the house.

Charlie & Sherrie
Southeast Texas
'99 Southwind Storm, '10 Honda CRV
nalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
HERE's a previous thread discussing macerators. If you do a Search on the word macerator, you'll come up with dozens more threads to read through.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
They know not of what they speak.

If your set up is like mine I can disconnet the macerator hose and go back to the old style hose in case there is a problem with the macerator. Once in six years. Decide for yourself.

Maybe if you are parked for over a month the old style hose would be preferable, but dispose of it in an enviromentally safe method and buy a new one when you move on.
Eaglesview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
In the link Lori gave you you should be able to decide, I for one as others have stated, I use mine to have the freedom to dump when and where I please no waiting in lines at some camp sites without sewage or state parks.
You have to advise who ever travels with you that certain items do not go into your holding tanks if you have more than one black tank.
To remove a item from jammed macerater can be messy.
I also have the 3" option.
98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #6
I have the Clean Dump system. I always start and stop pumping using the grey water. That way if I have to disconnect and use the slinky, it will be reasonably clean. Like "007" said it can be messy to work on the pump. The hose on mine can be removed with just a twist.
Charlie & Sherrie
Southeast Texas
'99 Southwind Storm, '10 Honda CRV
nalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
We have a macerator pump but only use it when ut's necessary to dump the tanks where there is no traditional 3" sewer port. In the normal campground setting we use the 3" gravity hose.

Most times we don't dump the tanks on our last day of travel. We wait until we get home and use the mascerator connecting it to a sanitary plumbing port in the garage. It's a lot easier to clean and flush the tanks at home than stand in line at a dump station. Others appreciate not having to wait while trying to get everything clean enough to keep it from smelling in the garage.

It also works all winter when the dump stations in our area are closed. I certainly wouldn't get rid of it if it works properly.
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:15 AM   #8
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am of what you could both schools when it comes to macerator pumps. I will explain why

Advantages 3" "Stinky Slinky" hose: It is FAST, dumping a 40 gallon tank in just a minute or so.. Also you can hose out the tank with an RV-Swivel Stick (Bought one yesterday) or Valterra Master Blaster (Made my own years ago) very easily with the 3" hose open. With a macerator dumping takes 4 minutes for 40 gallons (About) and I don't like running the pump dry while I go in to use the wand.

Also, you get the "Woosh Factor" helping to move semi-soilds out of the tank into the hose.

Disadvantage.. Well, I just had to replace a 3" stinky sieve (they go grow old, Even Rinoflex, Drain master however is guaranteed for life)

However.. With the 3" you have a practical limit as to how far you can dump, around 20 feet.. Much more than that and the hose won't have enough "Fall" to properly clear the hose.

Macerator, Can pump much farther (I have a 50 foot hose, and a 25 foot hose and have linked them together) Fall is not so much a problem as you pump it through, I have pumped UP HILL in fact.

Of course, I also have done routine maintenance on the pump.

Now.. Another concern.. I have had some park sewers which were not really up to the speed of the 3" hose and "Blew back" at me a bit,, This means I have to rinse down the area around the dump (not really a major problem) but still, it's a bother.. Never had that happen with the macerator.

My macerator is a portable, Lifes in a plastic case normally.

My suggestion: Do not remove the macerator, Leave it in palce, you can simply disconnect the short 3" hose that hooks it to the dump valve and use a 3" "Stinky Slinky" such as the Drain Master or Rino Flex (Both good products) when you are in a prk where that works.. And if like 2 weeks ago it's 45 feet to the hole above the ground... Hook the macerator back up and don't worry, be pumpy.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:49 AM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Is a macerator worth the trouble? ... It depends. It depends on where you park/camp, and on where you want to dump your tanks. We normally park in RV parks, occasionally a fairgrounds or private driveaway. Over the years, we have been in a situation where we NEEDED a macerator type setup once or twice, and maybe another 3 or 4 times where it would have been NICE TO HAVE. Only once I recall could we not dump at all with our 3" hose & extensions.

In your situation I probably would not totally discard it unless I found it does not work. I likely would use a 3" hose most of the time, and use the macerator maybe once a quarter whether needed or not just to ensure it remains in working condition.
Paul (KE5LXU) ...was fulltimin', now parttimin'
'03 Winnebago UA 40e / '05 Honda Odyssey toad
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #10
Newmar Owners Club
Hi Nutravlr,
I have the Sani-Con macerator on my coach. It has the grey water bypass feature. I would never return to the 3" slinky. The grey water bypass is a mandatory feature, for me. The macerator solution is compact neat and clean.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
My knight came with a sani-con AND a techma macerating potty. I will never ever ever go back. The potty especially is the only way to go. Button A for #1, button B for #2. Solids? we ain't got no steeeenking solids.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #12
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If I had a macerator, I'd use it...don't have one and don't want to buy one. Try it, you might like it.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #13
Fleetwood Owners Club
It's already there.. Use it for a while , see how you like it. If it doesn't fit your needs you can replace it later. Maybe even convert it to a portable for those difficult dump times
08 Diesel Bounder 38V
phranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:02 PM   #14
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
If I had a macerator, I'd use it...don't have one and don't want to buy one. Try it, you might like it.
Kind of the same here, been using a stinky slinky since 1957 (actually it was later than that as back then they didn't all have toilets nor holding tanks!) and haven't felt the need for anything else.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote