Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2014, 05:45 PM   #1

Magnum Auto Gemerator Starter

I am seeking information on the Magnum networked automatic generator starter. This unit can monitor your house batteries and coach temperature and start the generator to run the HVAC system or replenish batteries.

Can it be set just to monitor batteries? Temperature? Or always default to both? Has anyone installed one?

I have looked at the Onan wireless, however, it appears to have received mixed reviews.

Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Sorry, I can't answer your questions. But, I too would like to hear others responses.

I purchased and installed a new Magnum inverter recently. At the same time, I also purchased the Magnum Auto Generator start. I have studied the installation instructions only a little, but enough to find it quite daunting. I had hoped that it might be a quick, simple installation, but obviously it will be one of the things to add to my 'project list'.

Jim

Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:03 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the Magnum Energy AGSn auto gen start on my coach. It is networked with my Magnum inverter. It can be programmed to auto start the generator based on temp in the coach and battery voltage. It can be programmed to not start the generator based on 'quiet times' that you establish.

We have it primarily to make sure our dogs don't get cooked if there is a shore power failure in warm weather while we may be away from the coach.

We had the Onan EC30W on our previous coach and it worked fine.

The Magnum AGS is not hard to install. You do need to run a network cable to the inverter, and wire it to one of the generator stop/start switches.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:08 PM   #4

these come standard on the Palazzo.... here is the manual.

http://www.magnumenergy.com/Literatu...20ME-AGS-N.pdf
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:10 PM   #5

The answer is yes, I use mine for battery charging when we need to in the early spring and fall or when I do not need the a/c for the dogs and I have not shore available. I do not use auto to keep the coach cool, I have big dogs and will rather just keep the genset running rather having it go on and off. I feel safer that way.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:14 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I have the Magnum Energy AGSn auto gen start on my coach. It is networked with my Magnum inverter. It can be programmed to auto start the generator based on temp in the coach and battery voltage. It can be programmed to not start the generator based on 'quiet times' that you establish.

We have it primarily to make sure our dogs don't get cooked if there is a shore power failure in warm weather while we may be away from the coach....
We are looking into this for the very same reason. Does the AGS use a separate temp sensor for the coach or does it use the coach thermostat to determine that it is time to start the generator for AC purposes?

I am primarily speaking of using it as a safe guard in case shore power is lost to the coach...not as a primary means to keep my GSD safe in boondock situations.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:58 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Magnum AGS uses the house thermostate to to maintain the temperatre. If for what ever reason there is not adequate power to start the AC it will automatically start the genny as needed to maintain the set temperatuire, shutting it down when the set temp is reached and the battery bank charged.
The OIP displays all pertainent battery information.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:03 AM   #8

AZ bound. The package materials in the Magnum starter appears to have another thermostat sensor. Are you sure it works with the house thermostat?
Old 02-20-2014, 06:34 AM   #9

AGS uses another temp sensor, our is installed sticking out of the thermostat.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:38 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
QT's # 3 information about AGM and many of the inverter/converters.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:12 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have to believe it depends on whether it is a fully integrated Magnum system, or the add on AGS.
In my case the original house thermostate is integrated into the system with no added sensors. The inverter/charger, AGS and OIP are all Magnum.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:22 AM   #12

Mine the same as AZ
Old 02-20-2014, 08:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
I have to believe it depends on whether it is a fully integrated Magnum system, or the add on AGS.
In my case the original house thermostate is integrated into the system with no added sensors. The inverter/charger, AGS and OIP are all Magnum.
can you provide the model/manufacturer of the thermostat that is integrated with your inverters... TIA
Old 02-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
We are looking into this for the very same reason. Does the AGS use a separate temp sensor for the coach or does it use the coach thermostat to determine that it is time to start the generator for AC purposes?

I am primarily speaking of using it as a safe guard in case shore power is lost to the coach...not as a primary means to keep my GSD safe in boondock situations.
Mine came with a separate temp sensor that is plugged into the device. I mounted the sensor next to the wall thermostat.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote