Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2006, 04:38 AM   #1

Being the self-sufficient kind of guy that I am, I am looking for a good tire air pump that can reach at least 100psi. Does anyone have any suggestions? I could uae either a 12V or 100V (with the generator or shore power). Cord length would be important--most that I've seen are only long enough for a car.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2006, 04:38 AM   #2

Being the self-sufficient kind of guy that I am, I am looking for a good tire air pump that can reach at least 100psi. Does anyone have any suggestions? I could uae either a 12V or 100V (with the generator or shore power). Cord length would be important--most that I've seen are only long enough for a car.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:52 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

There are a number of small compressors on the market. If voltage isn't a big deal I'd go with 120 VAC because it'll give you more power without and high amperage draws. Plus, you'll have something more universal.

One thing to consider is that air pressure flows from high pressure to low pressure. If your tires need 95 PSI and your compressor puts out 100 PSI it's going to take a while. At first, when the tire is real low, the tires will seem to come up fairly fast. But, as the PSI gets higher, things will slow down because you don'have that much of a pressure differential. Also, a compressor that cuts out at 100 probably cuts in at 80 so you're going to have to keep the unit running in order to get 95 PSI into a tire.

Generally, the contractor models, such as the compact DeWalt or Thomas Industries models will do that for you but I'm sure there's many others as well. The actual volume will be expressed in Free Air CFM (cubic feet per minute). Forget about horsepower and "displaced CFM". Those are advertising numbers that don't mean much. The Free Air CFM is the only true measurement of how much air volume it can make.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:27 AM   #4

Location: Honolulu, Hawaii (last fixed residence before becoming fulltimers)
Check this site for probably the best 12V compressor on the market http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/viair.htm

I installed one in the foreward electrical compartment in our Beaver and use a 50ft. coil hose to air all the tires. I put a switch on the dash and also use the compressor to blow dust out of the air conditioners etc. These are very small and powerful depending on the model. They are used widely in the off road industry.
Poki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 04:39 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Barry, doesn't your Beaver, which is a diesel, isn't it, come with it's own air supply?
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 04:41 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
From one Gary to another, I bought a Husky compressor, from Lowes, with an 18 gallon tank and 150 PSI at the hose. It is mounted in a storage bay on the driver's side of the coach basement. It is 110V powered by the Gen or shore power. I am the hit of the campground and can top off my tires (and anything else so far) very quickly. A Newmar tech even used my compressor to check the auto retract on my neighbor's coach at a Newmar rally!
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 03:54 AM   #7

About 5 years ago I went to Sears and purchased a tankless 120v compressor for around $100.

With it I was able to inflate my gas rig tires to 120 lbs.

Now, I still carry it in my diesel coach and use it to top off my front tires to 105 lbs and my rear 4 tires to 100 lbs a day before leaving on a trip (we're fulltimers).

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 05:53 AM   #8

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Funny Story....

We had just gotten our new Meridian and was proud of all the neat stuff like the connection under the "hood" for an air hose. It connected to the air tank for brakes, suspension, and horn.

We were stuck in serious traffic jam on the five mile bridge coming into New Orleans with no sign of things beginning to move.

In a few minutes two motorcycles came up beside us on the shoulder and stopped. One noticed his tire going flat so got off and was trying to hook alligator clips for a small 12v air pump to his battery.

After a few minutes of it not working, I got out, opened the hood and hooked up my air hose. By that time, a small group of the other drivers around us were getting out of thir cars as nothing was moving. They all came over to see what was "under the hood."

The biker was grinning from ear to ear when he got the hose with 120 PSI. His tire quickly filled and he drove off on the bridge shoulder.

Now, as Gary said, we are the hit of he campground.. especially with kids with bikes.

Walt
Old 09-17-2006, 08:26 AM   #9

We carry a Husky Y1010 120 volt compressor. We bought it from Home Depot for about $100 on sale. Be sure to shop for a compressor rated at 2 SCFM @ 90 PSI or greater, otherwise it will take forever to fill large tires.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:37 PM   #10

I have a Campbell Hausfeld pancake compressor w/ a 2hp motor and 4 gallon tank that is 110V and goes up to 120 psi, but it doesn't have a large enough tank. The volume of air in the tire is large enough that the pressure in the tire and compressor equalize and then the compressor labors to increase the pressure eventhough is has a 2hp motor. So, make sure whatever you buy has a tank large enough to "compete" with the volume of the tire. I now use the air system on my coach with a 50' coiled hose. I always disconnect the air hose from the coupler on the coach with the quick disconnect. If the hose or a connection springs a leak then the air system is compromised. If you're looking for good fill chucks and air gauges, check out Myers Tire Supply. They have locations in most large cities. They also carry the Alligator valve caps where you can fill and check the pressure through the cap without removing it.

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote