Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #1

Maintenance Charger?

We have a BatteryMINDer 12-V Maintenance Charger, Automatic Full-Time Desulfator in the rear bay of our 2014 33AA. There is a blinking green light indicating power but I've never seen a green light showing for the charging/maintaining indicator. The chassis batteries are currently showing a charge of 12.43. We are plugged into shore power. I shut off the 12V at the door of the MH. On the control panel over the driver's seat the house batteries are showing a charge of 13.5V, Float Charging. Is there a problem? Should the chassis batteries have a higher charge than 12.43 and should the indicator for the charging/maintaining be illuminated?

Thanks,
Robert
Tiffin RED 33AA

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2015, 06:36 AM   #2

Yes, I think you are correct. I would check the fluid level in the batteries to make sure it hasn't evaporated out. Replace with distilled water from Safeway or elsewhere.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:08 AM   #3

First thing I would do is check with Tiffin and see if your inverter/charger is supposed to charge both battery banks. If so, and you are plugged into shore power then both banks of the batteries should be reading in the 13.4 range. I suspect there is a transfer relay that switches between the house and chassis batteries that is bad.

What is the reason for the BatteryMINDer 12-V Maintenance Charger/Desulfator? It puts out such a small amount of power (1.5 amps) I don't see how it can be of much help. BUT I am learning all the time! What battery bank is this wired into? Both the house and chassis banks?
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:13 AM   #4

It is for the two sealed chassis batteries. There is a separate charge system for the 4 house batteries.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:37 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I shut off the 12V at the door of the MH.
Turn the shut off switch back to ON. Then check if the 12.43 shows more.

Shut off are usually only when in storage. Not on generator, shore power or engine alternator power.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:40 AM   #6

Then I would be looking to see if the BatteryMINDer is actually working. Maybe a dirty connection where it is connected to the batteries?
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:20 AM   #7

2.5 amps can and will ruin any battery in most rv if voltage is too high.

If blinking it may be in standby.

You can reset or get the exact model and Google it to check the manual.

Or contact their service folks via email as they usually respond in a day or three and will give good support.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:37 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Bigd9,
You want to learn??? Here it is.

A battery minder is just that. The absolute best way to charge any wet cell battery is to charge it as slowly as possible with a 13.6 voltage pressure and a low current flow. Slowly means to use a small amount of amperage. All of the batteries are based on 12 volts. It's the amperage that does the actual work. Since the charging takes place at the molecular level it's best to do it as low and slow as possible. That's what any, Trickle, or Battery Minder charger does. A small amount (usually less than 4 or 5 amps) for an extended period of time. Most often the charging time is controlled by the electronics of the charger. If your battery minder is good and for that matter all chargers, it will reduce the charge rate as the battery reaches full charge then continue charging with a very small amount of current.

The information above applies to all wet cell batteries. Also if when measuring any battery that is not being charged the OP (open post) voltage across the posts should be 12.6 V or very close. When charging that voltage must be 1 volt higher than OP voltage or 13.6 Volts. WHY?? Charging simply put means forcing electrons back into a depleted battery. To do that the pressure needs to be a minimum of 1 volt higher than the pressure already in the battery which is 12.6 volts. If you are not reading 13.6 V or higher when charging there's a problem "Houston".

TeJay
Old 10-13-2015, 09:48 AM   #9

I think Battery-minders, (not battery tender ) are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Go to amazon or northern tool and read the reviews. Everyone loves them.
I have been using them on my boats and my motorhome for over 15 years. My boat battery is still good and is a 2004. Just replaced my old motorhome battery which lasted 13 years. I have 7 battery minders

Your batteryminder may be different than mine. Mine is as follows.

Red light means it is charging at 1 amp. Once battery is fully charged it switches to flashing green light which is pulsating the battery with high frequency and desulfating it. Mine has a maintenance button on it, that you push after 48 hours if it does not start flashing green automatically. By pushing this button it starts flashing green.

Hope that helps

Wayne
Old 10-14-2015, 07:30 PM   #10

Just an update. I called the BatteryMinder Tech and also reviewed the manual. The tech said to disconnect the batteryminder and also disconnect the connection at the chassis batteries. This was to reboot the charger. I did and still get the blinking green light. At that point the charge was 12.4. I connected my 3 stage charger and within 12 hours the charge at the batteries was 12.8. I disconnected my charger and after two days the charge at the batteries is 12.7. I have since reconnected the batteryminder and the charge is still 12.7. If it drops much I would guess the batteryminder is not doing what it should. The tech also said to check the fuse. I pulled what I thought was the inline fuse, 5A, and replaced it. The tech said it should have been a 15A. I don't know where Tiffin might have put the fuse. The batteryminder is in a bay on the drivers side and the chassis batteries are in a bay on the passenger side. I guess it is possible that somewhere in between there is a fuse but how would one get to it? I guess at this point I don't know much more than when I started but wanted to pass along what I had learned, which is not much.

Thanks,
Robert
Old 10-14-2015, 09:09 PM   #11

Just some thoughts here.

My batteryminder fuse is on the ring terminals, like 6" from the battery or batterys.

Are you sure battery-minder is for house or chassis batteries? Called Tiffin? I hear they our the best for customer service.

Is your steps connected to chassis battery? Light, radio, power outlet draining small amount of power where Battery-minder can't keep up. Do you have battery disconnect switches right on the chassis battery? Is your battery old or new?

Can you pull battery minder and hook up directly to batteries, while batteries are disconnected from all sources of drain? This would test battery minder, or use a known good battery to test. Just some thoughts
Old 10-14-2015, 09:55 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Not being there and seeing what you are seeing it is difficult to troubleshoot. I'll just make this observation. Fuses either work or they don't. There is no in between. If there were lights on for the battery minder (if in fact the green light was from the BM) then power is getting through the fuse.

Battery troubleshooting has to start with basic readings. Open post or (OP) battery voltage is simply the reading of any 12 V wet cell battery not being charged or in a static state. That OP voltage should be very close to 12.6V. Now with a charger connected it should read 13.6 V or 1 V higher than OP. The charger is forcing electrons into a weak battery and it needs to be at least 1 V higher than OP. If the battery is in a weakened state that charging voltage may be 13.8 or 13.9 or even a bit over 14 V but will lower over time as the battery becomes charged.

Even a fully charged battery will have an OP V of 12.6 when in a static state. It might be 12.7 or even 12.8 but that is just a residual charge and will fall off soon.

TeJay

Tags
maintenance