Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2016, 12:01 PM   #1

Making Your Motorhome More Energy efficient.

I had to learn the hard way. If you are an RVier during the winter months, you learn quickly that there are a lot of place where cold drafts can sneek in. Even in places like Lake Havasu City and Pahrump it can get unpleasantly cold at night. In Pahrump I have to shut the city water off to the RV at night so the pipes won't freeze. Fortunately my heating is all almost entirely propane central heating. So my electric bill is never more than $10 a month. So what are some of the things you do to combat the cold in your RV during those winter month??? I am always interested in hearing about ideas that you have to make your RV more energy efficient and stave off the cold during the winter. So please post your feedback here. Happy New Year

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2016, 01:42 PM   #2

Ours does pretty well. Haven't had to use the furnace yet this winter. AC, now that another story. Low last night was around 76 deg here in Key West.

Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:07 PM   #3

It has been cold all over AZ this winter, but the Aqua Hot is keeping us nice and warm. We head to Pahrump in Feb, hope it warms up some.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:12 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A good down comforter on the bed allows much lower thermostat setting through the coldest hours.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:33 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
we have custom cut ecofoil bubble insulation to fit the entire front and side window area. Also fit it into the fan and skylight openings. We made a plastic curtain placed behind the front seats wall to wall and floor to ceiling to stop drafts and cold. Have a insert of ecofoil that get placed across the stair opening to keep out the cold. Keep the ceiling duct vents closed and cover the roof air vent return. All that for zero temp conditions.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:09 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We supplement our 2 space heaters with one of the two furnaces when they won't keep up.
Plug holes especially under slide outs.
Plug holes in lower compartments especially the water service one.
Close blinds at night, open in the day if the sun is out.
Try to park so the front or rear are facing into the wind.
Rugs on tile/smooth floors.
Extra clothing; ie. light jackets, sweaters, sweat shirts, slippers.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:09 AM   #7

I block the air-intake on the dash heater to eliminate breezes from the dash area. Alternatively you can put the dash heater system on "recirculate" if it offers this option.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:43 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
As noted by Fiesta48, double check the corners of the slides where they meet the coach. We stuff rags in the holes to keep the cold air out.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:55 PM   #9

Might turn on the heat pump, it's supposed to get down to 59º here in South Florida tonight.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:24 PM   #10

Wish I could head south. 7 degrees here tonight. I use Reflectix insulation over all windows, curtain behind cab seats and lined the storage compartment under the bed with Reflectix, as we all. Plan to make soft foam pads for slide corners in the spring. Worked in the coach last night, wearing a snowmobile suit with one milk house heater. Inside temp44 degrees. Also, looking into installing 120 v outlets on a separate circuit than the existing ones so I can run two heaters. We get snowed in for winter and cannot refill the propane tanks. Also I will be insulating under the cabinets in the spring.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Wish I could head south. 7 degrees here tonight. I use Reflectix insulation over all windows, curtain behind cab seats and lined the storage compartment under the bed with Reflectix, as we all. Plan to make soft foam pads for slide corners in the spring. Worked in the coach last night, wearing a snowmobile suit with one milk house heater. Inside temp44 degrees. Also, looking into installing 120 v outlets on a separate circuit than the existing ones so I can run two heaters. We get snowed in for winter and cannot refill the propane tanks. Also I will be insulating under the cabinets in the spring.
Where is this? Alaska? Sounds cold.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:04 PM   #12

Actually sometimes Anchorage, Alaska is warmer and it must be 12-14 hours north of here, by car.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:23 PM   #13

I use an electric blanket and a knit cap, and let the interior temperature of my camper get into the low 50's at night if its cold enough outside. An electric blanket between the sheet and blanket uses very little electricity on its lowest setting.

Between my hot water heater and my furnace, I'm going through a 20 lb propane bottle in about two weeks in Texas not too far from San Antonio. Its already down to 40F tonight, but fortunately its not getting cold enough to worry about the water lines.

When I have a site with no electric meter, I use two electric space heaters, set at 1000W (the medium setting on the heaters). One gets plugged into the normal wall outlets, and the other I plug into the circuit dedicated to the microwave (since I don't use the microwave 99% of the time and shut off the heater that 1%).
Old 01-20-2016, 01:04 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
I use an electric blanket and a knit cap, and let the interior temperature of my camper get into the low 50's at night if its cold enough outside. An electric blanket between the sheet and blanket uses very little electricity on its lowest setting.

Between my hot water heater and my furnace, I'm going through a 20 lb propane bottle in about two weeks in Texas not too far from San Antonio. Its already down to 40F tonight, but fortunately its not getting cold enough to worry about the water lines.

When I have a site with no electric meter, I use two electric space heaters, set at 1000W (the medium setting on the heaters). One gets plugged into the normal wall outlets, and the other I plug into the circuit dedicated to the microwave (since I don't use the microwave 99% of the time and shut off the heater that 1%).

Get rid of the Electric blanket and get an electric mattress cover. Just think about it, heat rises so if you put the heat under you, then you will use less electricity

Tags
motorhome