Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2014, 06:49 AM   #1

Mandatory items needed on first trip back home after delviery???

Hello all. What mandatory items are needed for first time RVer's for our first trip back home after taking delivery of our RV out of state?
The trip back home would be a 2-3 day trip to get the RV home so we can then spec it out with all wanted and needed items at that time.
Thank you in advance for all your thoughtful replies.
G Man
G Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2014, 07:07 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Drinking water hose
Sewer hose (good one)
Voltage tester (cheap will do) to test pedestal electric
Propane for heat ,use your microwave for heating prepared foods
Paper plates, plastic forks/spoons and cups
Instant coffee/creamer/sugar.
Personal hygiene products
Toilet paper
Towels and bedding
Cocktails to celebrate your new MH each night
Congratulations!!!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:15 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Welcome to Irv2, G Man.

You will need things like food, drink & TP, linen and towels. Paper plates and cups would help, unless you eat out the whole time. You would need a drinking water hose. You didn't say whether you have a 30 amp or 50 amp power needs, but you might need an adaptor, if your rig requires 50 amp hook-up and the camp only has 30 amp. If you have any tools, such as screw driver, pliers a flashlight, etc., that would be helpful, but not mandatory, especially if your rig is new.

You didn't say how you were getting to the delivery location, but if you are flying in, you can just pick up the items, as you drive home. Surely there are Camping World stores and other RV suppliers along the way. Have a good and safe trip home!
Old 11-03-2014, 07:16 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Question

Buy a good guide to campgrounds and other points of interest. I would invest in a good RV GPS, personally I use a Garmin 760 and like it but there are others out there.

If you have not owned an RV or motorhome before I'd make sure the dealer/seller provides a complete walk around and explains all systems. Take a note pad and take extensive notes and don't be afraid to ask questions. If the rig has a secondary braking system (exhaust brake or equivalent) make sure you know how they operate.

If an operators manual is available each of you should study. I have yet to be my DW to read the manual and as a result if she is flying solo I get calls on how this or that works.

Good Luck
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:18 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First, when you go to pick it up take a Video Camera to film the delivery inspection tour,, You will forget stuff, the camera will not.

IF you have a DOMETIC fridge make sure the end of the drip tube is outside the vent panel (If you have a NorCold ignore this) have the PDI guy show you what I mean.

Do not forget your friends: Master Card and Visa

If you are buying new you should have a "Starter Kit" this will include some black tank chemicals (give it back to the PDI guy, Mine is still shrink wrapped) a hose or two (fresh and waste, you may want more or better waste hose) and so on.. but other than food if it's a long trip, and stuff to go with food.. that may be all, Oh, Sheets and towels and again might or might not have those already when you pick up. Towels I'd bring with me though... Other needs you can pick up as needed.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:52 AM   #6

You can stop at the first WalMart and pick up most of what you absolutely need to get it home. If your flying in that may be your best bet. Then you can stop at another the next day for what you forgot! Have fun and safe travels.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 11-03-2014, 09:51 AM   #7

One important thing not to forget is to take a sense of humor in all your travels. There will be times you will need it and could very well be the difference between a bad trip and one that will bring giggles deep in the night down the road.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #8

I see all kinds of 'stuff' for the inside, but what about things that might be needed for outside? Some things that I feel that one should have are: emergency reflectors in case you need to get to the side of the road; overalls and or water proof suit, for being in bad weather; basic tools for those 'little' things that did not get tightened at the factory; extra oil, antifreeze, windsheild washer fluid. Yes this is a 'new' MH but it is always good to be perpared for that 'just in case'.
Have a safe trip and remember, you will have a lot to learn so take it slow.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:22 PM   #9

Mandatory items needed on first trip back home after delviery???

Edit; not needed.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 11-03-2014, 12:48 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would go with the minimum amount of stuff. A couple of sleeping bags, towels and hygiene items. I wouldn't waste energy on food or utensils. It's only a couple of days, just eat out. While traveling home, get a feel for what you want/need in the motor home and start making a list.

Once you're home, determine the colors you want to go with for carpets, towels bedding and other decorator items.

If you buy or take too much, it may not be the right size or color and then you have to return it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #11

I agree with Don, take just what you need as far as personal stuff, if you are driving another car to get there then you may want to bring some sheets and blankets ect. Don't go out and buy alot fo stuff, wait and see what the dealer gives you with it. When we picked ours up everything was ups and running, fridge cold and ice machine going. Full tank of gas and propane as well as two packages of chemicals and toilet paper. The also gave all the hoses we needed.

As mentioned before you can always stop at the first Walmart/grocery store you see and pick up some food/drinks. But I would just eat out if you can and spend the time in a campground making sure everything works before you get too far from the dealer. By the time you get home you will have made a detailed list of what you need and then you can go on a shopping spree.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Best of luck with your new rig. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote