Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2015, 07:13 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Marginal Diesel Fuel @ Murphy USA/ Wal-Mart??

I've been using Murphy USA gasoline for years. Real convenient, and really like the $.04 discount with their credit card.
Bought a diesel pusher a few months ago, and have bought 4 or 5 tanks at our local Murphy station.

Today standing there with the pump running, I see a label that stated this diesel contains "biodiesel". Seems like it said a percentage from 5% up 20%. I was taken back by the label, I have see posts here with lots of negatives about biodiesel.

Comments, suggestions appreciated.

P.S. I have chosen to use a fuel additive, even though at a recent Spartan seminar, I was told it was a waste of money. I just read all the bad fuel issues on this forum, and think an ounce of preventative is money well spent.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2015, 07:45 PM   #2

Well Sir,
Been around for a while on this and other RV forums and, I've not read of that many "Bad fuel" reports. Not that it doesn't happen, I've just not read of many. CAT doesn't recommend ANY additional fuel additives. I don't know about Cummins but, I think I've read where they don't either. Does Bio-diesel cause fuel system problems? Don't have a clue. I put diesel in our coach from just about any fuel station while on trips.

Haven't had any issues since we bought it, 4 years ago and, 23,000 miles of travel.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:22 PM   #3

Some (many?) States require all diesel to contain some percentage of biodiesel. I can't recall seeing a diesel pump in the last 3 years that didn't say it contained biodiesel. I've only been a diesel user this long.
I suspect you just haven't noticed it before.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:20 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
They've been slowly adding bio diesel to diesel fuel for years. In 2005, my Cummins ISL was rated, by Cummins, to use up to 5% biodiesel. Back then I would occasionally see biodiesel. My new Cummins is rated to use up to 20% biodiesel which many stations are now selling. What aggravates me is that you don't get the same power out of a gallon of biodiesel, yet they charge the same price.

I now find it rare to see straight diesel fuel. Cummins DOES recommend using additives. It's on their website. All diesel fuel sold in the US is required to meet a government standard for lubricity. Many companies have spot checked diesel throughout the country and have found that it DIDN'T meet the government standards for lubricity on a regular basis. This is the reason Cummins changed their attitude about additives.

You don't buy diesel additives for performance like you do in cars. You buy it to insure that your diesel fuel is lubricating your engine, especially your injectors and pumps.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:20 PM   #5

Most if not all Flying J and Pilot truck stops have bio diesel as well. In the Dallas area its up to B20 (or can be). I've not had issues with it yet.

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX
Old 08-14-2015, 09:57 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Unless you're buying diesel from a place that has a high turnover rate of selling diesel I would not be buying it there. A couple of years ago a friend of mine had been putting Murphy USA diesel in his new Dodge Cummins. It ended up costing him $1100. That was just for the new injection pump. The entire cost of it all was around $1500 out of his pocket.

When we are on the road we are very picky where we buy our diesel. We usually buy at truck stops because of the high turnover in diesel at them.

Jerry
Old 08-15-2015, 09:36 AM   #7

I tried their fuel a few years ago in my F250 6.0 diesel. After 3 or 4 tanks the water in fuel light came on. Drained quite a bit of water & haven't been back since. Around here their locations are almost impossible to get in & out of in a Motor Home. The couple cents difference in price isn't worth the hassle for me.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:40 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Good info!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:19 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
I've been using Murphy USA gasoline for years. Real convenient, and really like the $.04 discount with their credit card.
Bought a diesel pusher a few months ago, and have bought 4 or 5 tanks at our local Murphy station.

Today standing there with the pump running, I see a label that stated this diesel contains "biodiesel". Seems like it said a percentage from 5% up 20%. I was taken back by the label, I have see posts here with lots of negatives about biodiesel.

Comments, suggestions appreciated.

P.S. I have chosen to use a fuel additive, even though at a recent Spartan seminar, I was told it was a waste of money. I just read all the bad fuel issues on this forum, and think an ounce of preventative is money well spent.
Get a Good Sam RV Plus CC to get 6¢ discount at Pilot/Flying J.
Most have Bio added now. Bio is the best lubricant you can get so no need to buy any other additives that provide lubricant.

Except maybe a occasional Algae preventive.

Bio will clean your tank out. So carry extra filters with you and change them a little more often for a while.

And keep tank full during storage.

Murphy's are a little harder to get into but are doable. Last time I used them for diesel was when they had the 10¢ discount specials going on. Otherwise Pilot/Flying J work for me. For the toad I use Murphy's a lot using my Visa 3% discount CC.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:58 AM   #10

From the US Department of Energy:
Alternative Fuels Data Center: Biodiesel Fuel Basics

Quote:
Biodiesel is a renewable, biodegradable fuel that can be manufactured domestically from vegetable oils, animal fats, or recycled restaurant grease. It is a cleaner-burning replacement for petroleum diesel fuel.
There is a lot more said in the article. The only bad comments are about cold winter storing of high % Biodiesel.

We usually buy our Diesel from any station close by our route that my wife/spotter "certifies" is easy in/ easy out stations. She only has a few seconds to canvas the place and give me a thumbup or down as we approach the station at 40 mph! She is pretty good too, as she has only a few "Ah Shoot Ding Dang Darn It" choices to her credit. We rarely buy from Flying J types just because we are usually on the back roads of America.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:32 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

You may as well get used to having some "bio" in the diesel, cause it's a national mandate (ditto for gas). Not just state level. The fuel industry as a whole is required to increase the amount of renewable alternative fuels every year, with goals and monitoring set by EPA under a Congressional mandate. The petroleum refiners don't have any legal choice but to produce blended fuels with a percentage of biodiesel, so it's not that Murphy is cheating on you. They can still make and sell some pure petro-diesel, but they can't produce and sell enough so that everybody can have all they want, so most fuel pumps will have a blend. Expect to see pure petro-diesel at a premium price where available, just like non-ethanol gas now has a substantial price premium.

No need to get worked up about it either, though the energy content may be slightly lower than pure petro-diesel. Much of those o-my-gawd warnings about biodiesel are mostly concerning people filtering old cooking oil and pouring into their tank. B5 (5%biodiesel blend) or B10 from a commercial refinery is clean and doesn't have waxy residue or other contaminants sometimes (often?) found in home brew fuels.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:55 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
We don't have Murphy fuel at our Walmarts but when traveling I use them if I can comfortably get in with the RV. I haven't had a problem with water in the fuel or other problems with that diesel. Seems to me that Murphy at Walmart is mostly in the eastern half of the US or at least east of Albuquerque if I remember correctly. I'd be interested if theh have location in AZ, CA, OR or WA.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:10 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have several Pure Oil stations around here that is the only ones where you can buy 100% gasoline. Most of the lawn care services here use their gas exclusively in power equipment.

However the price is usually $.50 a gallon higher.

They also sell diesel but I don't know about their blend.

Needless to say I don't buy much there.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:55 PM   #14

I've never had a problem with Murphy's diesel fuel. The closest Murphy's to me is where local school bus drivers fill each evening. I figure if they run it, it can't harm my vehicles.
The main reason distributors began adding biodiesel is to replace lost lubricity during the sulfur removal process at the refinery because it is the cheapest and most effective additive. B2/ 2% biodiesel raises the lubricity to EPA required MINIMUM level.
This HFRR lubricity additive study explains everything for products tested.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel