Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2014, 08:26 PM   #1

Mattress replacement

I know this topic has been covered on the forum but I wanted to provide some info that might be helpful. DW and I enjoy our memory foam mattress at home but found our MH mattress to be somewhat uncomfortable to say the least. Priced a memory foam one at CW for $750. Checked at SAMs and found a Queen size Serta memory foam very similar to our home one for $348. The cover zips off so we trimmed the few inches off to make it fit our MH bed and zipped it back up. Saved $400 and got a GREAT bed. Just a thought for anyone else shopping
gthunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2014, 12:18 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
How heavy are you and your sleeping mate? That is going to make a huge difference, unless comfort isn't what you're after.... If you're a fat dude, you gotta take that into consideration. If you're a little skinny dude, you gotta take that into consideration.

And anything you buy at Camping world like this is going to be more expensive. Consider calling Lax (that's his name) at Texas Mattress Makers - you can have a quality foam mattress made for you for less.

as to the camping world mattress, find out what the layers are made of and the densities. Once you find out what the layers are made of, bounce it off of Phoenix (that's his real name) at The Mattress Underground (just google that, you'll find it easy) - Your best source for information on mattress brands, materials, and choices - that guy knows more about bed construction than all of us combined!
And he answers questions lightening fast! Just go to his forum.

Personally, I have a foam mattress in my bus, and I can't wait to pull it out and put in a dual layer pocketed micro coil.

Foam will always break down over time. And if you get the wrong foam from the get go, it will already be too soft, and it will break down faster.

I don't know how old you are either, so do you have any back issues already? Do you have any arthritis? Anything like that? If so, the foam could make that issue far worse and fast.

I know people think coils are a thing of the past, but that's just the foam market trying to sell you something. Todays coils, especially pocketed coils and pocketed micro-coils are the most supportive thing on the planet - like the kind made by Legget & Platt

Here's something else I know about mattresses. If you buy one that's firm, you can always soften it with a wool, cotton or HD Foam topper (see Organic Mattress and Natural Latex Mattress ) and go to their toppers. But if the bed is too soft to start, you're fubar'd on making it firmer - and NOTHING sucks worse than a soft spot in a foam bed under your hips, talk about killing your back!
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:00 PM   #3

All I can say is we have a foam one at home and love it. The one I got from SAMs is not a cheap thin foam. It's 10 inches thick and sleeps great. We are not full timers so I could not see spending 1200 - 1500 dollars for a mattress that we won't use that much. I'm not in to all the technical aspects, just know what works for me
gthunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthunts View Post
All I can say is we have a foam one at home and love it. The one I got from SAMs is not a cheap thin foam. It's 10 inches thick and sleeps great. We are not full timers so I could not see spending 1200 - 1500 dollars for a mattress that we won't use that much. I'm not in to all the technical aspects, just know what works for me
We also bought a foam mattress for our RV and we love it. We were restricted by the thickness of the replacement since ours has to slide underneath the wardrobe when the slide comes in.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:44 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We also got rid of the coil mattress that came in the motor home and ordered one from Sams online. We liked it so well we ordered a king for the house. When it comes to mattresses there is no one type fits all.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, replacement