Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2016, 07:08 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Mattress "Toppers"

Hi all - hope I'm posting this in the right forum

Our king-size mattress is ok on comfort, but what it lacks is thickness. I'm 220 lbs (or at least that's all I'll admit to) and when I'm on my side for more than an hour or so it feels like my hips bottom out and are resting on the bed's base below. I don't think I actually am bottoming out, but it can feel like that.

I'm not a huge fan of toppers in general - they always indent where I sleep. We've bought cheap ones, really expensive ones - memory foam, fiber fill, cool gel, combinations of one or more of the above... all of them disappointed me after just a month or so.

So... what I was thinking was buying a relatively inexpensive 4" memory foam "topper" and use it on the bottom of the mattress instead of on top. I'm thinking this will give me the thickness I'm looking for and avoid the inevitable indenting that occurs with mem foam.

Wondering if any of you have tried this and how successful it was... or wasn't

Thanks!

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2016, 07:22 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Never put on under the mattress,but I'm alsoa big guy and use this one Perfect Harmony Mattress Topper - RV King - Carpenter 31374542247 - Bed Pads & Mattresses - Camping World, best sleeping investment ever.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:07 PM   #3

One trick I did with the 4" mattresses in our popup was to put a sheet of 3/4' or maybe 1" blue board extruded polystyrene under them, made a huge difference in the comfort level. Doesn't cost too much to try it. I do agree that the mattresses run a bit thin in RV's. Our current motor home has an 8" Serta mattress in it and so far so good, we do have a 3" memory foam topper if we need it.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:18 PM   #4

I have an Intelibed Topper. It is expensive and heavy but it makes my coach bed mimmick my home intellibed mattress. It is a mini mattress nearly 3 inches thick. Can't sleep without it.
Rorytug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:02 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks everyone for all your help... lots more info to choose from now!

Old 03-16-2016, 04:54 AM   #6

Our current coach came with a sleep number which has made a difference with the issue you described. Additionally it allowed my wife and I to enjoy our different sleeping needs. As to the foam mattresses a 4" defiantly will not cut it for you. If you goo with a new foam mattress consider 8" to 12" as the weight difference is negligible.

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 03-16-2016, 08:33 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryly Blithe View Post
Hi all - hope I'm posting this in the right forum

Our king-size mattress is ok on comfort, but what it lacks is thickness. I'm 220 lbs (or at least that's all I'll admit to) and when I'm on my side for more than an hour or so it feels like my hips bottom out and are resting on the bed's base below. I don't think I actually am bottoming out, but it can feel like that.

I'm not a huge fan of toppers in general - they always indent where I sleep. We've bought cheap ones, really expensive ones - memory foam, fiber fill, cool gel, combinations of one or more of the above... all of them disappointed me after just a month or so.

So... what I was thinking was buying a relatively inexpensive 4" memory foam "topper" and use it on the bottom of the mattress instead of on top. I'm thinking this will give me the thickness I'm looking for and avoid the inevitable indenting that occurs with mem foam.

Wondering if any of you have tried this and how successful it was... or wasn't

Thanks!
I think we're gonna try this one. Tried the memory foam and couldn't stand the smell!

Robot Check
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:24 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtermini30 View Post
Our current coach came with a sleep number which has made a difference with the issue you described. Additionally it allowed my wife and I to enjoy our different sleeping needs. As to the foam mattresses a 4" defiantly will not cut it for you. If you goo with a new foam mattress consider 8" to 12" as the weight difference is negligible.
I know many people rave about Sleep Number mattresses, but honestly I'm not a fan. My wife loves them, but...

I'm hopeful a 4" topper on top of our 8" mattress will suffice. If not, Sleep Number may be the way we end up going. Thanks!

Old 03-16-2016, 01:28 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I think we're gonna try this one. Tried the memory foam and couldn't stand the smell!

Robot Check
It's funny you would post this. After years of searching for the best mattress for our home, we ended up buying and LOVING our 100% latex foam mattress from Habitat Furnishings. But OMG are those things heavy... took three of us to get it in the house and on the bed! I know a topper will be lighter, so thanks for reminding me to take a look at these!

Old 03-16-2016, 01:39 PM   #10

We have been very happy with this one from Amazon.

Robot Check
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:41 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Just know that the memory foam STINKS! We bought one and left it outside to air for several days, and it still stank!
Old 03-16-2016, 01:55 PM   #12

Mattress "Toppers"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Just know that the memory foam STINKS! We bought one and left it outside to air for several days, and it still stank!

We noticed that too. Bought one at Walmart that didn't. Don't remember the name. About $200

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:57 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Hmmm, none of our foam mattresses have smelled...

We bought three - two for the house and one for rv, we've since given the rv one to the kids when we got rid of the rv and none of them have had an odor...
(and my wife must be related to bloodhounds, she can smell stuff 100 yards away )
Old 03-16-2016, 04:32 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The memory foam mattress pad that smelled so bad came from Sams Club. After a few days of airing we stuffed it into a garbage bag and carried it back to them!