Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2016, 04:35 PM   #1

MaxAirFan gone wild

Hi
I have a five year old Max Air Fan Delux model which is giving me fits! When the RV is in the driveway I set the fan to the lowest speed and crack the another roof vent to help keep the RV cool. It works on the batteries and solar. When I come back to check on it it is either off and in automatic mode or in ceiling fan mode with the speed on high and the vent closed. This is strange. I don't use auto and if I did it would be on since the coach temp can run over 120f in the daytime. My remote is in the drawer with the batteries removed. I did send an email to the company asking what they thought but I don't know if that will help. Has anyone heard of anything like this? I really could use that fan!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2016, 06:33 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Many small remotes work by an RF signal. Perhaps you're using one in the house, or a neighbor is that's triggering the fan to change speed? If you do any tinkering, you could see if you can disable or install a small switch to turn off the remote sensor.

I guess I have to also suggest using an inexpensive box fan strapped to the underside of the vent in place of the Max Air fan. Lots cheaper to replace a box fan rather than the Max Air.
This one is about $30,

https://www.amazon.com/Hengs-90043-C...+v+fan+camping

Where a Max Air is over $150, I'm sure.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:21 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Try covering up the sensor with aluminum foil and then see what happens. Just a thought. Also put the batteries back in the remote and see what it is programed at. Maybe just maybe the fan is stuck on the last command the remote sent out, which is set for temperature and high speed.????
Old 07-06-2016, 12:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Try covering up the sensor with aluminum foil and then see what happens. Just a thought. Also put the batteries back in the remote and see what it is programed at. Maybe just maybe the fan is stuck on the last command the remote sent out, which is set for temperature and high speed.????
The foil suggestion appeals to me but I wonder where the sensor is? I would think that the signal would come in from outside through the cap since the RV is steel framed. I last used the remote about five years ago and found it to be unreliable so I put it away then. This has started up within the past month. I will look at the parts list and see if it tells me anything. I wouldn't mind disabling or switching it. Thanks
Old 07-06-2016, 01:13 PM   #5

Its a bit hard to say bur the specs show it may or may not have an IR bubble and the remote has an IR bulb but it looks like it may also have an RF broadcaster. I will go out and check for the IR bubble and take out a few remotes to try. If IF I think I can remove the board and disable the IF. Wish me luck! The parts diagrams may be attached, site willing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf r-619c_maxxfan-deluxe-xp-rev-c-04-2016.pdf (631.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 07-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #6

Given the name of this thread, I expected topless pictures of MaxxAir fans.

To help determine if the remote works via RF, give it some batteries then use the remote while outside the RV to see if the fan responds. If it doesn't then it's likely just IR and not RF.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Given the name of this thread, I expected topless pictures of MaxxAir fans.

To help determine if the remote works via RF, give it some batteries then use the remote while outside the RV to see if the fan responds. If it doesn't then it's likely just IR and not RF.
Good suggestion. Thanks. PS Couldn't find any photos of censored topless fans jumping about!
Old 07-07-2016, 03:11 PM   #8

The remote is IR and it is so weak that it almost has to be held against the fan. I was hoping that it was another remote causing the problem but I guess not. Any other ideas before I write it off??
Old 07-23-2016, 08:54 AM   #9

Here is what I found in the end. The changes in the fan settings happen when power is interrupted and restored. When on shore power at home in FL that happens routinely due to wind or lightning causing short outages. It also happens when the generator is turned on or off. I guess the control system id just getting quirky with age.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:44 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
Here is what I found in the end. The changes in the fan settings happen when power is interrupted and restored. When on shore power at home in FL that happens routinely due to wind or lightning causing short outages. It also happens when the generator is turned on or off. I guess the control system id just getting quirky with age.
Hey I resemble that remark.

Looks like it's time to replace the unit, you may be able to get of hold of MAX Air and see what they will do, maybe a new control board and remote?
Old 07-24-2016, 06:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Hey I resemble that remark.

Looks like it's time to replace the unit, you may be able to get of hold of MAX Air and see what they will do, maybe a new control board and remote?
Yes. I agree. Since the exterior plastic has started to crack because of sun I won't put any more money into this one. I'll use it like it is now that I know when to expect problems (when the microwave in the house is flashing then go out and check the fan). When it gives out I get to shop for the best one out there and replace it. Because of the cracking plastic and electronic troubles I'll probably see if another brand works for me. I do like the fan though. On low it is a nice quirt way to change the air and we use it when we shower too.

Tags
fan