Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2008, 06:55 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
We have always put Maxx Air covers over the roof vents. Nice when it rains, circulation will in storage, etc.

The new MH has two Fantastic powered vents (kitchen and bath). I suspect the Maxx Air brand has vents for these fans but a huge. I believe they are functional, but expense and size are a concern.

Would the Camping World Brand cover called the Rambler with both side and rear vents allow enough air flow?

2007 Ford Explorer V8 Towed
Bobby C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2008, 06:55 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We have always put Maxx Air covers over the roof vents. Nice when it rains, circulation will in storage, etc.

The new MH has two Fantastic powered vents (kitchen and bath). I suspect the Maxx Air brand has vents for these fans but a huge. I believe they are functional, but expense and size are a concern.

Would the Camping World Brand cover called the Rambler with both side and rear vents allow enough air flow?

2007 Ford Explorer V8 Towed
Bobby C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:50 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've used the Maxxair covers on the vents on our Aluma-Lite and been very pleased with them. Really helped to keep the interior free from odors and mildew while it was in storage. I put the big one designed for the Fantastic Fan on the fan and regular ones on the others, including the noisy vent fan in the bathroom. Now have a motorhome that doesn't have covers and am planning on adding them very soon. I'm interested in looking at the new Maxxair II's both for the added vent areas and the ease of opening them for cleaning. Haven't looked at the Rambler brand yet but there is a pretty good discussion on the vent covers over on the Casita forum...Casita Forum Vent Cover Discussion...where they talk about the Maxxair vs Rambler, etc.
Also in that discussion, they discuss adding a resistor to slow the FF's down and provide the instructions they received from the FF tech people on how to do it. That allows a quieter operating fan and still move pretty good air. Might have to try that myself.

2004 Winnebago Brave 32v on W20 w/8.1L and Allison
Capt Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I talked with Fantastic Fan Representatives about installing vent covers over their fans at the FMCA International Convention held at Redmond OR this past Aug. At that time they did not recommend using any of the manufactures vent covers over their fantastic fans. At that time all vent covers restricted to much airflow therefore drastically decreased the efficiency of their fans.
If in doubt, I would call or email Fantastic Fan to get their current posistion, my dealings with them have been very positive in all respects.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:10 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We've got this one over one of our Fantastics. The Fantastic lid opens way up, allowing plenty of flow.

We've had some form of MaxxAir covers on every camper we've owned. Wouldn't do without them.

L-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:16 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Fantastic Fan does indeed say no to Maxx Air covers, but I have one and it lets me keep the fan running in the rain.

For me the ability to use the fan in the rain offsets any air flow restriction.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:20 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have the Maxxair covers NLOVNIT linked to on three Fantastic fans. I see no noticeable air flow restriction, and very much like the fact that the covers protect the fan vent lids from wind damage when open while driving, and from UV deterioration and/or hail damage. I had the cheaper Maxxair cover on one vent until I replaced it with a Fanstasic fan, and the cover was breaking around the screw holes after just 2 years of use. The larger covers are still in good shape at 4 years now.

AND, I've never had to remove the covers to clean under them. I have had to remove the inner screen on one fan a few times to remove pine needles and to clean the screen -- I cannot see how not having a cover over the vent would have prevented either of those cleaning chores.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:00 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quoting Fantastic fans website below.

Q. DO YOU RECOMMEND VENT COVERS?

A. Vent covers restrict the airflow of your Fan-Tastic Vent by about sixty percent. In addition, covering your vent requires more frequent cleaning due to dust and dirt accumulation. Although we do not recommend any cover over your Fan-Tastic Vent, it will not void your warranty.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:00 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Bobby,

Over the years I have used Maxx Air Vent covers on Fantastic Vent Fans. I have used the small covers (real bad idea) Severe restriction on volume of flow even with the small cover screen removed. I have also used the large covers on two of my fans. I have even checked the air flow (subjective - my opinion only)with all windows closed and the front door open. Tried it with the covers on - off - on again. I believe that the vent covers reduce the flow. I know that the Fantastic cover opens wider without the Maxx Air covers on and there is less buffeting on the exhaust air flow. Also the fan and it's cover stay clean longer.

I left the Maxx Air covers stay with the last coach when I traded it. I now have 2 Fantastic fans in the kitchen and bath -- No extra covers. I do have a Maxx Air powered vent fan / large cover combo in the toilet room. It stays running in the rain. So maybe I now have the best of both worlds.

Green lights and soft breezes,
Old 04-18-2008, 07:46 PM   #10

Same here on Maxi cover over a Fantastic fan. I like using it in the rain (I don't have the rain detecting Fantastic fan) and before I had the cover, I drenched the coach floor by forgetting to close the vent when we were out on an excursion and it rained. I have the covers that swing open to clean pine needels and junk out of the screens on the fans, that is a nice touch. They are well worth the money in my book.

Take care,
Sparetire
Old 04-19-2008, 02:56 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I have the Max Air on my Fantastic fan as well. After going to a dealer pproduct show and meeting the represenitives, I would not do it again. There is not a doubt in my mind they change the amount of air-flow. I have to admit I enjoy being able to keep the vent open when driving as well, but it will labor the fan and inhibit the air-flow.

As far as hail damage goes, these covers are extremply string, in fact I was jumping up and down on one and it did not break. (And I am not lite ) The Fantastic Fan company has a excellent warranty, and they stand behing their products, just call them when you have a problem and you will see.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:49 AM   #12
paz

We have the same cover NLOVNIT has on his Fantastic Fan. Maxxair calls it the Fan Mate and it is designed to be used with high volume ventilators. Even though Fantastic Fan doesn't recommend using ANY cover, I feel a slight reduction in air flow is worth being able to use the fan in the rain. As Tom said, the restriction will not hurt the fan, just reduce the amount of ventilation.

I can see that the smaller Maxxair covers would seriously restrict the air flow, but the larger Fan Mate covers have an outlet the same diameter as the fan itself (12"). The small amount of restriction comes from the internal bends the air flow must make and from the fact the fan cover can only be raised to about 45 degrees.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:37 AM   #13

I have the fans with the rain sensor and while they will close the vent when it rains that does not solve the problem of when you want the vent opened and the fan running when it is raining. Also the rain sensor would start closing the vent if it was getting humid or foggy out and we would have to bypass it which then removes the benefit of having a rain sensor.

I now have a MAX Air cover in the salon and a Ramble in the bath. I would not consider removing either of them.

The Ramble does not allow the vent to open as fully as the MAX Air but it is sufficient for the bath. Both my vent fans are Fantastic Fans.