Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2014, 12:17 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Maxxaire vs Fantastic fans

I am looking to replace the two stocks fans in my coach. There are both already 12v powered.

Has anyone had experience with both of these brands and what the difference would be?

I have seen a couple of slight mention of the Maxxaire being noisy at high speed.
Not a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2014, 12:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not a Clue View Post
I am looking to replace the two stocks fans in my coach. There are both already 12v powered.

Has anyone had experience with both of these brands and what the difference would be?

I have seen a couple of slight mention of the Maxxaire being noisy at high speed.
I have experience with both. They are both high quality products that FAR exceed the stock units. Neither one is quiet at high speed but they are both quieter than stock units. You really can't go wrong with either one. They are both worth every penny you will spend !!
Old 05-13-2014, 03:01 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
I have experience with both. They are both high quality products that FAR exceed the stock units. Neither one is quiet at high speed but they are both quieter than stock units. You really can't go wrong with either one. They are both worth every penny you will spend !!
Thanks, that is the info I was looking for.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:21 PM   #4

If one of your fans is in the bath be sure to use a model that doesn't have reverse airflow capabilities. You want exhaust only. Use a 1200 model Fantastic and then one of 4 other models for the other one. Almost as important is to replace the outer covers with the Fantastic vent cover, it is far superior to any other design out there for increased airflow and protection from rain.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I think it's hard to get a fan that size to move a lot of air without some noise.

Turn it down to maybe 70% and it's much quieter without much air flow loss.

My current motorhome and the camper I had previously both came with Fantastic fans and I think they're great.

The only thing I don't like about the MH fans is they don't run in reverse so the air can only be pulled out. Yeah, that's great for the bathroom.

On my Arctic Fox camper the one in the living area could run either direction and we frequently ran it to pull air in.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:50 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
If one of your fans is in the bath be sure to use a model that doesn't have reverse airflow capabilities. You want exhaust only. Use a 1200 model Fantastic and then one of 4 other models for the other one. Almost as important is to replace the outer covers with the Fantastic vent cover, it is far superior to any other design out there for increased airflow and protection from rain.
Didn't think about just exhaust only for bathroom, thanks!
Old 05-13-2014, 03:58 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I replaced both of my Fantastic Fans with MaxxAir fans .... love them! I got the remote control ones. You can have them open in the rain ...set them to come on when the interior gets to a certain degrees ... set them to bring air in or out and at what speed. They will also close automatically if you have them on auto and your coach has reached the temp you want. Best "mod" ever .. if you ask me!
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:23 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You CAN'T beat the customer service with Fantastic Fan. They routinely send free parts to people with fans over 5 years old.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:09 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
I added reversing capability to our FF's by adding a DPDT toggle switch w/center off position ...just a matter of reversing polarity to the motor.. And I did the commode room fan first ...no problem w/pulling air in there. The problem comes when you are pulling air OUT and then open the flush valve. The added reverse capability works OK, but not great. I suspect the fans that have that capability built in may have a different shaped fan blade. I haven't got around to checking that out and perhaps replacing the blades.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:35 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I did what DebbieMH posted. Best thing I ever did. With Maxxair one can forget about water entering the opening until the water hits the magic spot to close the lid (Fantastic fan). Maxxair can be left on during the rain.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:59 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks all, when I started this thread I was leaning towards the FF, but I really like the Maxxaire Deluxe design. Might have changed my mind and will go with the Maxxiare.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:59 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not a Clue View Post
Thanks all, when I started this thread I was leaning towards the FF, but I really like the Maxxaire Deluxe design. Might have changed my mind and will go with the Maxxiare.
You will be happy with them if you do. I've never heard of anyone with any complaints.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I added reversing capability to our FF's by adding a DPDT toggle switch w/center off position ...just a matter of reversing polarity to the motor.. And I did the commode room fan first ...no problem w/pulling air in there. The problem comes when you are pulling air OUT and then open the flush valve. The added reverse capability works OK, but not great. I suspect the fans that have that capability built in may have a different shaped fan blade. I haven't got around to checking that out and perhaps replacing the blades.
The reason that manufacturers don't put reversing fans in the bath is that it is against code. My dealer told me they wouldn't do it and a call to FF tech indicated that they don't recommend it is because the vent stack is usually close to the fan and the tendency is to suck these fumes back into the RV. Made sense to me. As far as pulling fumes up out of the black tank that is a non issue. Don't turn the fan on until the valve is closed and it will clear the room in seconds. A FF moves a lot of air on high. If you haven't replaced your sewer vent cover yet you may wish to change it to a Drain Master 360 degree siphon vent. With a gentle breeze it creates negative pressure in the black tank and the gases go out the vent not back into the RV when the toilet is flushed. Try it and you will always demand one.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:51 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
The reason that manufacturers don't put reversing fans in the bath is that it is against code. ...because the vent stack is usually close to the fan and the tendency is to suck these fumes back into the RV.
That kind of makes sense IF the vent stack is nearby. Rather amusing in my case as the single vent stack is on the opposite side of the coach from the bathroom vent, and is MUCH closer and slightly forward of the hall vent fan. We never travel with the hall vent open as it WILL suck in tank odors while driving even with no fan running.
Quote:
If you haven't replaced your sewer vent cover yet you may wish to change it to a Drain Master 360 degree siphon vent. With a gentle breeze it creates negative pressure in the black tank and the gases go out the vent not back into the RV when the toilet is flushed. Try it and you will always demand one.
I like my Xreme Vent ...it works great, still looks as good as new after 8 years, and is much easier/quicker to install (no sealant work required).
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan