Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2015, 05:37 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Maybe lesson learned!

Well, maybe this is a lesson learned. Could be a normal thing. Maybe someone out there can advise?
Bought a bottle of "Best" rubber roof cleaner and conditioner from our local local rv store and dug out the brush and bucket. Followed the directions and cleaned the roof of my 1997 tioga. It looked really good when I was done. THEN, I climbed down and holy smokes!! White streaks all over. I mean everything. Even the tires. Instead of brush washing the bus I had to wash it by hand and that didn't take it all off. Anything black had to be really scrubbed. Even the windshield wipers were streaked in white residue. Took me over six hours and some spots are still not really clean. Is there a different way or different product that will not make such a mess or is this normal?
farmerick4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2015, 05:51 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum: That happened to me with my 99 Dutchstar. Scrubbed till my knuckles were raw, and then it rained and I scrubbed again. Must had bought the same stuff you used. Never used it again and I just used spic and span from then on. And that should not be normal, I would hope.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:00 PM   #3

Have another person on the ground, with a 2nd hose, washing away the roof washing stuff and keeping the sides wet will greatly reduce/eliminate streaking.
To remove dried streaks I use this: Crown RV and boat black streak remover and hull cleaner.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:15 AM   #4

I only use dishwashing liquid, and a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Mop. Does wonders on a rubber roof. You didn't say how often you clean the roof, but I do ours at least twice a year, sometimes more if parked under trees for any length of time. That should really cut down on the white residue.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:41 AM   #5

veicle washing

something else to remember always wash a vehicle from the bottom up.

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:47 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by spsm View Post
Never used it again and I just used spic and span from then on.

I sure hope you don't get Spic 'N Span on your rig's paint! That stuff will ruin your paint job in no time!
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayman View Post

Jim
I have always heard that, but never understood the reasons why. Sure sounds counter intuitive to me.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post

I sure hope you don't get Spic 'N Span on your rig's paint! That stuff will ruin your paint job in no time!
So far so good, but I'll keep my eyes open, and no doubt go with something else. Thanks for the input, just never heard of that.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:16 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by spsm View Post
So far so good, but I'll keep my eyes open, and no doubt go with something else. Thanks for the input, just never heard of that.
We learned the hard way, unfortunately around 48 years ago. We decided to wash our 1963 Ford Fairlane and my mom mixed the soapy water with Spic 'N Span. It ruined the paint. If you Google Spic 'N Span and washing cars, you'll see that this is well-known.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:29 PM   #10

I have just used dish soap or regular car wash so far. I have washed the roof about 5 times so far, with no problems or streaking. I always wash the whole MH after doing the roof. I don't get the logic of washing from the "bottom up". If you did that then all the dirt from the roof would be all over the MH, when you are done.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayman View Post

Jim
Huh?
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:06 AM   #12

While serving as an aircraft mechanic for the USAF there were times that we would have to wash the planes. We always started at the bottom to wash after wetting the plane. It does not make sense, but the bottom being wet & washed will not absorb the residue from the rest of the plane. Once we did not follow protocol and, sure enough, we had to double scrub because of the streaking! Moral is that going from bottom up is doing it correctly.
groeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:22 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by groeder View Post
While serving as an aircraft mechanic for the USAF there were times that we would have to wash the planes. We always started at the bottom to wash after wetting the plane. It does not make sense, but the bottom being wet & washed will not absorb the residue from the rest of the plane. Once we did not follow protocol and, sure enough, we had to double scrub because of the streaking! Moral is that going from bottom up is doing it correctly.
Oh...the dreaded 'wash rack' !! Thats when i also learned you wash from the bottom up. Crew Chief USAF 71-75. Same applies if you wash your house down.
Chuck and Robbin Harrison....plus 1 PB, a G Pyrenees and 1 Jack Russell. Zenie, Smokie and Buddy ! 1998 38' Monaco Dynasty Duke with a 8.3 Cummins. Everyday truck is a 2010 F150 XLT 4x4 and 2016 Ford Escape.
Migkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post

So, you are saying that happened to you? Wonder why then, Dicor used to recommend SpinNSpan to wash their EPDM roof, until they saw the money to be made selling their own brand of cleaners and protectants.
I've used SpicNSpan and Dirtex HD cleaner on my RV roofs for years without a blemish on the paint. Never had a reason to use it on an automobile.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote